NSHS Home  |  Foundation

NSHS FOUNDATION Newsletter

July / August 2004

The Fran-Thom Spies team:
The Fran-Thom Spies team: Tim Francis, Joyce Thomas, Ron and Denise Arrigo, Janet Hicks-Hunt, and Joe Hunt, winners of the 2004 Lincoln History Mystery.

Lincoln's Second History Mystery is Solved

The Fran-Thom Spies and twenty-five other teams of super sleuths spent the evening of May 14 using historic hints to track down notable, and even notorious, downtown Lincoln landmarks. The detective teams started at the Nebraska State Historical Society's Museum of Nebraska History at Fifteenth and P, and solved the riddles that led them to the locations that held the answers the judges were looking for.

After an hour and a half of investigating, the gumshoes converged on the Museum of Nebraska History again to submit their findings to a panel of judges and to enjoy a cold cocktail and snacks. The jury returned with a four-way tie. After a sudden death lightning round of Nebraska trivia, a second-year entry edged the competition for the top honor.

Gene Crump, Foundation trustee from Lincoln and event chair, declared the night a success. "Thanks to the participants and the sponsors for their support. Proceeds from the event will support the further discovery of the Engineer Cantonment archeology site discovered last year north of Omaha." The committee has started plans for the third Lincoln History Mystery.

Architectives
Christine Cepuran (l-r), Michelle Engel, and JoAnne Kissel of the Clark Enersen Architectives team studied their final clue at the Museum.


Getta Clue-So team
Members of the Getta Clue-So team: Jill Miller, Britt Miller, Susan Kritz, and Beckee Moreland.

 

New Officers, Directors, and Trustees Elected During the
Board of Trustees Annual Meeting in Brownville

Foundation trustees enjoyed a day discovering historic Brownville as part of the activities surrounding their annual meeting. The host site for the May 1 meeting was the Whiskey Run Creek Winery. The Board of Directors and Board of Trustees conducted Foundation business that included electing officers and new trustees.

Officers elected for 2004-05 include: Allison Petersen, Walton, president; Steve Guenzel, Lincoln, executive vice president; Jack Campbell, Lincoln, vice president; Joanne Shephard, Valentine, secretary; John Guenzel, Lincoln, treasurer.

The 2004-05 Executive Committee includes: Petersen, Walton; S. Guenzel, Campbell, J. Guenzel, Jim Hewitt, and Jim Nissen, all from Lincoln; and John Webster, Omaha.

Three new members were seated on the Board of Directors: Jim Creigh and Bruce Frasier of Omaha and Andy Strotman of Lincoln.

The Foundation welcomed sixteen new trustees to the board: Joan Phillips, Bridgeport; Steve Cleveland, Chadron; Mary Kay Peck, Columbus; Brett Bixby, Ellsworth; Kay Fowles and Stewart Karrer, Grand Island; Susan Johnson, JoAnne Kissel, and Carol Zink of Lincoln; James Creigh, Kim Skutt Davis, Chris Hedgpeth, Kimball Lauritzen, and Anne Thorne Weaver of Omaha; Joe Stehlik, Pawnee City; and Julie Schroeder, Waterloo.

The highlight of the meeting was the guest speaker, Dr. Fred Luebke, the Charles Mach Distinguished Professor of History Emeritus, University of Nebraska-Lincoln. Dr. Luebke's presentation, "Robert Furnas ­ A Man of All Seasons," highlighted the known and the little known history of Robert Furnas.

Ann and Dr. William Marsh Host Grand Island Party

Ann MarshAnn Marsh, a member of the Board of Trustees for the Nebraska State Historical Society, and her husband, Dr. William Marsh, a member of the Board of Trustees for the Nebraska State Historical Society Foundation, hosted a party in Grand Island May 21 for members of area county historical societies. Ann wanted to bring together the groups in the area that work every day to preserve Nebraska's history in their counties.

She asked Bob Puschendorf, deputy state historic preservation officer, to visit with the neighbors and share how the Nebraska State Historical Society has been present in their neighborhoods and counties, often without them knowing the Historical Society played a significant role in the projects. Bob explained how the Nebraska State Historical Society Preservation Division, and the Nebraska State Historical Society's other divisions, work with county historical societies to enhance their main streets, protect buildings, and preserve the county's­and state's­history in a variety of ways for future generations. Larry Sommer, director of the Nebraska State Historical Society, explained how a proposed constitutional amendment on this fall's ballot will encourage preservation of buildings, and Jac Spahn, executive director of the Nebraska State Historical Society Foundation, explained the important role private support has on increasing the understanding and awareness of our state's history.

Mortars Donated to Fort Robinson

Rehbergs photo
Over the years John and Linda Rehberg enjoyed spending time at Fort Robinson
and knew the area was a jewel among our state's assets. But with each visit they were disappointed to see the four Civil War Coehorn mortars, once located at the base of the two pyramid monuments to Crazy Horse and Lieutenant Robinson, missing. John said, "I had often thought this to be a real shame. Here were historic monuments (built in the mid-1930s) commemorating great names in our cultural past, and they obviously look neglected and disrespected." John and Linda were also bothered by the fact that the monuments, with their missing mortars, greeted every visitor to the fort as they arrived, as well as every visitor to the Nebraska State Historical Society's Fort Robinson museum. They decided to replace the mortars through a gift to the NSHS Foundation.

The Rehbergs talked with Tom Buecker, the curator of the Fort Robinson Museum, about restoring the monuments. Buecker said the mortars were added to the monuments in 1935 for martial ornamentation. They were taken down during World War II and redisplayed several years later. The original M1838 mortars were moved to secure storage after three were stolen from the monuments in the late 1970s. After an extensive search, John found several reproduction manufacturers. The new mortars are made of fiberglass and are virtually indistinguishable from the originals.

"I appreciate John and Linda's interest in the Fort Robinson museum. Their generous donation restores a long familiar feature of the Fort Robinson site," said Buecker.


2004-05 Foundation Board of Directors

Allison D. Petersen, Walton, President
Steven E. Guenzel, Lincoln, Executive Vice President
Jack D. Campbell, Lincoln, Vice President
C. John Guenzel, Lincoln, Treasurer
Joanne F. Shephard, Valentine, Secretary
James C. Creigh, Omaha
Bruce M. Frasier, Omaha
Martha Greer, Lincoln
Dr. James W. Hewitt, Lincoln
Dr. William F. Karrer, Omaha
Carol Maddux, Wauneta
Dr. Martin A. Massengale, Lincoln
John D. Massey, Scottsbluff
George H. Moyer, Jr., Madison
James F. Nissen, Lincoln
Andrew D. Strotman, Lincoln
John W. Webster, Omaha
Dr. John Wunder, Lincoln

Lawrence J. Sommer, Lincoln, NSHS Director, Ex-officio
Patrick Kennedy, Omaha, NSHS President, Ex-officio
Patricia Phillips, Omaha, NSHS Treasurer, Ex-officio

 

Contact Information:

Jackie Spahn, Executive Director
Nebraska State Historical Society Foundation
Kinman-Oldfield Suite 1010
128 North 13th Street
Lincoln, NE 68508-1565

Ph: 402-435-3535
Toll Free: 888-515-3535
Fax: 402-435-3986


May / June 2004 Issue

Back Issues

 


NSHS Home  |  Search  |  Index  |  Top

http://www.nebraskahistory.org/foundatn/newsletr/july04.htm
Last updated 13 September 2004

For questions or comments on the website itself, email nshs.web@nebraska.gov
Nebraska State Historical Society - P.O. Box 82554, 1500 R Street, Lincoln, NE 68501
Nebraska State Government Homepage
 |  Website Policies  |  © 2009 All Rights Reserved