Thirty-Two-Mile Station Site [25-AD-05] Listed 1975/02/20
Constructed in 1860, Thirty-Two-Mile Creek Station, or Clarke's Ranch, was a "home" station on the famed Pony Express route, providing meals and fresh horses. The establishment, operated by George A. Comstock, consisted of at least one, long single-story building, although stables and other facilities were probably also constructed. After the end of the Pony Express in the fall of 1861, the establishment served briefly as a stage station. The station was burned by Indians in the summer of 1864.
Jackson-Einspahr Sod House [AD00-057] Listed 2006/04/08
The Jackson-Einspahr Sod House is located in rural Adams County. It was constructed in several episodes between 1881 and 1910. The house is significant as an outstanding example of a now-emblematic settlement building in Nebraska. The use of sod as a building material influenced the settlement of Nebraska and made hospitable a region that many termed inhospitable. In addition, sod house construction is a building technology that is characteristic of the settlement period of Nebraska.
McCue-Trausch Farmstead [AD00-114] Listed 2000/03/09
Located near Hastings, the farm is significant for its association with early rural and agricultural development in the county. The farmhouse, constructed in 1892, is one of the oldest surviving rural houses in the county. Built by Basil McCue, who was from Virginia, the house features some southern vernacular architectural features. Of primary reflection to this style is the two-story side gallery-type porch often seen on the houses of Virginia and South Carolina.
Antioch School, pdf (District 20 School) [AD00-140] Listed 1988/09/28
Adams County School District 20 was formed on September 23, 1872. Replacing sod and frame structures, the red brick schoolhouse, located near Pauline, was built in 1902 and is a well-preserved example of the one-room rural schoolhouse. The school property also includes frame privies, a storm cellar, and playground equipment. Classes were last held in the school in 1965.
Central Hastings Historic District, pdf [AD04] Listed 2003/08/21
The Central Hastings Historic District is comprised of approximately thirty city blocks and more than three hundred individual properties. The district represents and documents the development of Hastings from 1880 to 1950. The structures found throughout the district represent a significant pattern of development that mirrors the growth of Hastings during this period.
Heartwell Park Historic District, pdf [AD04] Listed 2000/03/09
The Heartwell Park Historic District, located in Hastings, is significant as an example of a planned residential development. The privately developed Heartwell Park Addition platted in 1886 was designed by landscape architect A. N. Carpenter to include a linear park with a lake surrounded by curvilinear streets with large residential lots. The idea of a designed residential neighborhood with concerns given to the landscape and aesthetics was new to the city of Hastings in the late nineteenth century. The district's park was created in 1886, but the residential lots lay undeveloped for approximately thirty years.
Burlington Station, pdf [AD04-001] Listed 1978/03/29
Hastings (founded 1871) was located where the St. Joseph and Denver City Railroad crossed the Burlington line between Inland and Juniata. By 1880 Hastings had become a major division point for the railroads. When the new Burlington Station was completed in 1902, Hastings was the third largest railroad center in Nebraska. Designed by Omaha architect Thomas Rogers Kimball, the Burlington Station is an excellent though modest example of Spanish Colonial Revival architecture.
Victory Building, pdf (Dutton Building) [AD04-002] Listed 1987/03/31
Built to commemorate America's victory during World War I, the Victory Building, located in Hastings, is a six-story manufacturing and warehouse facility constructed for the Dutton Company, which was originally founded as a wholesale harness and saddlery company. The building was completed in 1920 and is an excellent example of 1920s-era industrial architecture. It incorporates advanced technical features, including concrete frame construction, a sprinkler system, steel fire doors, steel sash windows, and steel furnishings.
Hastings Municipal Airport Hangar-Building No. 1, pdf [AD04-003] Listed 2005/07/22
The Hastings Municipal Airport Hangar-Building No. 1 is significant for its association with the development of aviation in central Nebraska generally and Hastings specifically. Additionally, the building embodies the distinct characteristics of aircraft hangar design from the 1930s and has excellent physical integrity.
Stein Brothers Building, pdf [AD04-005] Listed 1979/05/01
The Stein Brothers Building, located in Hastings, was constructed in 1906. It is one of the most refined turn-of-the-century buildings in Hastings. It is a notable example of Prairie-style commercial architecture. Edmund and Herman Stein, natives of Harvard, Nebraska, established the Stein Brothers Store, which for twenty-seven years was a general merchandise business that served patrons from a wide area of central Nebraska and northern Kansas.
Nebraska Loan and Trust Company Building, pdf (Clarke-Buchanan Building) [AD04-006] Listed 1979/05/01
The Nebraska Loan and Trust Company Building, in Hastings, is a fine example of a commercial building designed in the Italianate style. The building was constructed in 1883-84 as an office with space for the Nebraska Loan and Trust Company. For over two decades the Nebraska Loan and Trust prospered, contributing to the settlement and growth of Nebraska and portions of Kansas. Succeeding the Loan and Trust was another savings and loan, the Clarke-Buchanan Company, organized in 1903.
Farrell Block, pdf (Stone Block) [AD04-012] Listed 1979/05/01
The Farrell Block was designed by C. C. Rittenhouse and constructed of Colorado sandstone in 1880. It was built in Hastings as a commercial and office building by Thomas E. Farrell, an early settler and community leader. A fire destroyed half of the structure in 1953.
Clarke Hotel, pdf [AD04-022] Listed 1987/12/07
Designed in the Renaissance Revival style, the six-story brick building was constructed in Hastings in 1914 with an addition made in 1916. Local architect C. W. Way employed elegant touches in the interior of the city's grand hotel, including the famous grill room, which has a series of murals painted by Italian artist Giuseppe Aprea depicting seventeenth-century European tavern scenes. The Clarke Hotel operated until March 1987.
St. Mark's Episcopal Pro-Cathedral, pdf [AD04-035] Listed 1987/11/30
One of the two cathedrals in the Episcopal Diocese of Nebraska, St. Mark's, located in Hastings, was designed by the nationally prominent architect Ralph Adams Cram. Plans were drawn in 1919 and the Late Gothic Revival structure was completed a decade later.
William Brach House, pdf [AD04-064] Listed 1979/02/01
This frame house, located in Hastings, was built about 1884 for William Brach in a simplified Queen Anne style and was remodeled shortly after 1900 incorporating Neo-Classical Revival elements. The original porch was replaced with classically-styled columns and balustrade. William Brach, a native of Germany, settled in Hastings in the late 1870s. He was president of Wolbach and Brach, a prosperous dry goods and department store.
Nowlan-Dietrich House, pdf [AD04-102] Listed 1979/04/17
The original house was built by A. J. Nowlan, a Hastings grocer, in 1886-87. Charles Henry Dietrich, former governor and U.S. senator, purchased it in 1909. Dietrich made extensive alterations to the house and created a period house of Eclectic design. The exterior changes included a tile roof, a brick front porch, Palladian windows, and a columned balcony. Dietrich's wife, Margretta Shaw Stewart Dietrich, was prominent in the state woman's suffrage movement and women's and children's rights campaigns.
McCormick Hall, pdf [AD04-119] Listed 1975/05/12
Hastings College opened in September 1882. In April 1883 ground was broken for McCormick Hall, the first building erected on the campus. It was named for reaper inventor Cyrus McCormick, who made the initial contribution for the building's construction. The hall was completed and dedicated in October 1884. The two-story, brick structure displays Italianate details.
Chautauqua Pavilion, pdf [AD04-154] Listed 1978/10/19
In November 1905 Georgia evangelist Lincoln McConnell conducted a series of revival meetings in Hastings. The meetings proved so popular that a group of local businessmen and the Reverend Hiram B. Harrison of the First Congregational Church formed the Hastings Chautauqua Association. Summer Chautauqua assemblies brought music, religious and philosophical discussions, and literary readings to people who were relatively isolated from such cultural and educational advantages. The success of the first Hastings Chautauqua assembly in 1906 resulted in the decision to build a permanent pavilion. Dedicated in July 1907, the pavilion is a unique octagonal structure with open sides except where walls enclose a stage and choir area. Capable of seating 3,500 people, the pavilion was the largest in the state.
Hastings Subway, pdf [AD04-716] Listed 1993/12/22
The Hastings Subway is a steel and concrete structure that carries the Burlington Northern Railroad over Route 281 / 34 and Burlington Avenue in Hastings. Constructed by the Mid-State Engineering Company in 1933 with federal funding from the National Industrial Recovery Act, the Hastings Subway is significant at the statewide level as an exceptional early example of an all-welded bridge.
How to list a property on the National Register
Return to Nebraska National Register Sites Index Page
Return to National Register information