Albion United States Post Office, pdf [BO02-004] Listed 1992/05/11
The Albion United States Post Office, built in 1937-38, is a one-story, red brick building with simple Colonial Revival details built from standardized plans in the 1930s. While the building retains a high degree of integrity, its historical significance derives from the mural painted on an interior wall.
Through New Deal programs such as the Public Works of Art Project and the WPA Federal Art Project, thousands of artists were employed. In 1934 the Section of Painting and Sculpture (renamed the Section of Fine Arts in 1938) was organized under the auspices of the Treasury Department to provide murals and sculpture for the many federal buildings constructed during the New Deal era.
Between 1938 and 1942 the Treasury Department's Section of Fine Arts (generally known as "the Section") commissioned twelve murals for twelve newly constructed post offices in Nebraska. Albion, along with the other eleven post office murals in Nebraska represent the Section's goal of making art accessible to the general population by reserving one percent of new building construction budgets for art.
Cedar Rapids Town Hall, pdf [BO04-023] Listed 1994/07/01
Built in 1913, the Cedar Rapids Town Hall is a good representative of a building type that became evident in towns throughout the state during the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries. This type of building is a two-story masonry structure that incorporates both the city hall and the fire station. In addition to these two functions the Cedar Rapids Town Hall also contained the library, jail, and community room. The building has been in continuous use since its completion and retains good integrity.
St. Anthony's Church and School, pdf [BO04-024] Listed 2000/03/09
St. Anthony's Church, located in Cedar Rapids, was constructed in 1919 in the Romanesque style. The church was built during a time when first generation immigrants felt the need to show their prosperity, and give thanks for their good fortune by building grand religious institutions. St. Anthony's school (1911 and 1926) is a typical multi-story example of a Catholic school type built in many Catholic communities across the state during the first quarter of the twentieth century.
Petersburg Jail, pdf [BO07-013] Listed 2005/03/15
Constructed in 1902 the Petersburg Jail is significant because it represents a period in the community's history when local officials thought the town required such a facility. Since the village offices were housed in the bank there was no marshal's office or city hall in which the jail could be located. For this reason the village board decided to have a free-standing structure built. The establishment of the jail as the only municipal building reinforces the village board's concern for public safety.
St. Bonaventure Catholic Church Complex, pdf [BO09-001] Listed 1982/10/19
The St. Bonaventure complex, located in Raeville, consists of the brick church, a three-story brick school, a two-story frame rectory, a one-story frame parish hall, and the church cemetery and orchard. The magnificent church was built in 1917-19 in the Romanesque Revival style. Jacob M. Nachtigall of Omaha was the architect. Surrounded by rolling hills and a vast agricultural landscape, the church is a noted landmark with its twin towers visible for miles. The complex forms an important ethnic and religious hamlet for the German-Catholic community.
How to list a property on the National Register
Return to Nebraska National Register Sites Index Page
Return to National Register information