Snoke-Tate Farmstead, pdf [CC00-025] Listed 1998/03/05
The Snoke-Tate Farmstead is located in southwestern Cass County. The farmstead is significant as a distinctive complex of buildings representative of late nineteenth and early twentieth century agricultural practices in this region of the state. It is also architecturally significant for conveying the evolution of buildings to accommodate family and general farming practices from the same period.
Plattsmouth Bridge, pdf [CC00-215] Listed 1993/04/15
The Plattsmouth Bridge carries U.S. Highway 34 over the Missouri River between Cass County, Nebraska, and Mills County, Iowa. This immense structure consists of seven spans: a 402-foot cantilevered through truss over the river's navigable channel, anchored by flanking 201-foot through spans, with two 203-foot and two 104-foot deck trusses on the eastern flood plain. The bridge was constructed in 1929 as a toll structure for the Plattsmouth Bridge Company, a privately held corporation. The Plattsmouth Bridge is distinguished as one of the oldest extant Missouri River bridges into Nebraska. It is also technologically significant as a noteworthy example of cantilevered truss construction.
James and Margaret Greer Farmstead [CC00-238] Listed 2011/03/21
Significant for its association with rural settlement patterns, agricultural practices, and vernacular architecture, this farmstead represents the continuous agricultural development in eastern Cass County from the late 1880s through the 1950s. Along with four siblings, James Greer emigrated from Northern Ireland in the 1880s, bought this farm from an earlier homesteader, and after surviving drought and financial panic in the1890s, created a successful farm. Among the most important buildings on the farmstead are a gambrel-roofed barn, a monitor-roofed hay barn, a drive through corncrib, and a 1917 Craftsman-style bungalow farmhouse.
Young Cemetery Cabin, pdf [CC00-331] Listed 2004/12/30
Located in rural Cass County the Young Cemetery Cabin is significant for its association with the National Youth Administration, a New Deal work project and vocational training program established for the country's young adults. A dwelling originally constructed in 1856 on the William Young family homestead was disassembled in 1941 and its materials, including the hand-hewn logs, were used in the construction of the Young Cemetery Cabin by National Youth Administration workers.
Gottfried Gustav Pitz Barn, pdf [CC00-344] Listed 2012/08/27
Built in 1883 and located just outside of Plattsmouth, the Gottfried Gustav Pitz Barn, also known as the Pitz-Muller Barn, is an example of a brick and frame banked barn. Situated near the Missouri River, the barn was once one of several buildings utilized by a market gardener or truck farmer, a farmer who grew one or more vegetable crops on a large scale for shipment to markets. The small barn housed one horse to provide labor and transportation and one cow to provide milk for the family.
Glenn and Addie Perry Farmhouse, pdf [CC00-348] Listed 2006/11/08
Located in rural Cass County the Perry Farmhouse was constructed in 1914. The farmhouse is largely Queen Anne style in form, with a full-width, two-story Prairie style porch on the front. Queen Anne stylistic details are seen in the hipped roof with projecting gables and the boxed eaves, while the Prairie style is evidenced by its uniform wall surfaces, its hipped roof with hipped dormer on the front, and the Prairie/Craftsman style windows.
Christian Kupke Farmstead [CC00-365] Listed 2012/12/19
The Christian Kupke Farmstead is a nearly intact 1870s farm located in western Cass County. The farm, established in 1877, preserves a record of farming in eastern Nebraska by German immigrants and their descendents, and retains a significant collection of late 19th and early 20th century rural buildings, including an exceptional Colonial Revival Farmhouse, dating to 1910.
Ashland Archeological Site, pdf [25-CC-01] Listed 1975/02/10
Several episodes of Native American occupation have been documented at this site near Ashland. Excavations uncovered both square and circular earthlodge ruins and a diverse assortment of native and European artifacts. The earliest occupation was by a late prehistoric (A.D. 1000-1400) group, followed by very early historic (around 1650-1750) Oto and Pawnee villages. Etienne Veniard de Bourgmont mentioned an occupied Oto village at or near this location during his 1714 visit in the region.
Nehawka Flint Quarries [25-CC-06] Listed 1970/01/26
Early archeologists observed nearly 300 unusual depressions in flint-rich areas of Pennsylvanian limestone formation along Weeping Water Creek near Nehawka. These features proved to be quarry pits dug by prehistoric inhabitants to depths of over ten feet. The massive amount of labor expended to obtain flint testifies to the importance of chipped stone to prehistoric people. The group most responsible for the mines is the Nebraska Phase, a farming and hunting culture that flourished in eastern Nebraska from A.D. 1100-1400.
Theodore Davis Site [25-CC-17] Listed 1972/05/19
On a prominent natural terrace of Weeping Water Creek, the Davis village, located near the town of Weeping Water, is the most extensively studied community of the Nebraska Phase. This culture flourished along the Missouri River and its tributaries from A.D. 1100-1400 and represents the beginning of a new lifeway for eastern Plains Indians typified by construction of substantial timber-frame, earth-covered dwellings; a sedentary settlement pattern; and increased reliance on domestic plant foods, particularly corn.
Walker Gilmore Site (NHL) [25-CC-28] Listed 1966/10/15
Successive layers of cultural deposits exposed in the cut bank of Sterns Creek, near the town of Murray, are the remains of one of the most important prehistoric cultures in the eastern Great Plains. The Sterns Creek Phase, dating A.D.800-1200, is an early group that relied heavily for food on wild plants, animals, and cultivation of gourds and squash. Archeological work at the site has recovered an abundance of food refuse, stone, bone, and ceramic artifacts; and evidence of both thatched roof dwellings and food drying or processing racks. Dates associated with the Sterns Creek site overlap in part with another much different local group, the Nebraska Phase, suggesting both cultures may have occupied southeast Nebraska simultaneously for as long as a century.
Kehlbeck Farmstead, pdf [CC00-036] Listed 1985/09/26
The Kehlbeck Farmstead, located near Avoca, is a remarkably well-preserved farmstead composed of twenty-three buildings illustrating an early twentieth century general farm operation. Noteworthy buildings include the two-story frame house, built in 1907, and the large frame barn, constructed around 1910 to house both horses and cattle. Several of the buildings, as well as the landscaping, reflect the German background of Henry Frederick Kehlbeck, who emigrated to the United States in 1885. One of the most striking features of the farmstead is the system of allees created by cedar tree plantings framing the main farm lane and the front yard.
The Elms, pdf [CC05-008] Listed 1977/03/24
"The Elms" was the home and study of Bess Streeter Aldrich, a prominent writer born at Cedar Falls, Iowa, in 1888. After a teaching career in Iowa and Utah, she moved to Elmwood, Nebraska, in 1909. Mrs. Aldrich's novels and short stories depict life on the Nebraska prairie in the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries and provide authentic interpretations of midwestern small towns. The two-story frame dwelling was constructed in 1922.
Paul Fitzgerald House, pdf [CC07-025] Listed 2006/03/02
Constructed in 1914 the Fitzgerald House is located in Louisville. Although the house is rather larger than was typical and included a rare built-in basement-level garage, the house is a fine example of a Craftsman bungalow with excellent historic integrity. The use of locally quarried sandstone illustrates the designer's adherence to the bungalow ideal of using natural materials.
Manley School, pdf [CC08-005] Listed 2004/12/30
Constructed in 1931 the school is located in the town of Manley. The building retains a high degree of integrity and is a fine example of the Craftsman style of architecture applied to a public building. Some interior adjustments have been made to meet the needs of technology and class size. These changes allow Manley School to continue operating as an educational facility.
Nehawka Public Library, pdf [CC12-015] Listed 2002/12/05
Located Nehawka, the Public Library is a one-story log cabin constructed in 1934. The building was financed by a small grant from the federal government's Civil Works Administration, and the extensive efforts of the Nehawka Woman's Club. The entire community contributed to the project through labor, donation of supplies, and other forms of assistance.
Plattsmouth Main Street Historic District, pdf [CC14] Listed 1985/09/26
The Plattsmouth Main Street Historic District includes forty-five late nineteenth and early twentieth century buildings located along the main street in Plattsmouth, the county seat of Cass County. The district is composed primarily of two-story masonry buildings of commercial Italianate design and also includes several exceptional examples of governmental architecture. The 1892 county courthouse is the focal point for the district and is set back from Main Street on a gently sloping hill. Designed by William Gray, an architect from Lincoln who was known for his courthouse designs, the Cass County building is of the same County Capitol form of Gray's earlier designs, but is notable for its Romanesque Revival detailing. Plattsmouth, incorporated in 1855, has one of the oldest commercial streets in Nebraska.
Paul Gering House, pdf [CC14-097] Listed 2006/07/12
Constructed in 1896 the Gering House is located in Plattsmouth. The house is a two-and-one-half-story wood-frame structure designed in the Colonial Revival style. The Paul Gering House, which is architecturally significant, retains a high degree of historical integrity.
Captain John O'Rourke House, pdf [CC14-098] Listed 2006/03/02; Amended pdf 2007/07/20
Constructed in 1881, the Captain John O'Rourke House is a fine example of an Italianate house. In Nebraska, Italianate houses continue to be constructed up to the turn of the century. Building styles in Nebraska do not fit neatly into nationwide architectural trends, with stylistic trends tending to reach Nebraska approximately ten years late and persisting about a decade after they had fallen out of fashion nationally. Nebraska itself was still a very young state in 1880, only thirteen years old, and her pioneers could rightly describe themselves as successes if they managed to eke a sufficient living to stay. In these early years, those who were extremely successful, and they were comparatively few, might construct a substantially built and designed house of a recognizable style, such as an Italianate. The Nebraska Historic Buildings Survey indicates that when true Italianate houses were built in Nebraska at all, they were most often constructed in towns along the Missouri River, such as Omaha, Peru, and most predominantly in Plattsmouth. Upon O'Rourke's arrival in Plattsmouth in 1874, he was a tireless community booster and was intimately involved with decisions that helped to insured that Plattsmouth would grow into a modern city. His roles within the community are numerous and varied. The home exemplifies the culmination of his career in politics and government.
Cass County Courthouse, pdf [CC14-109] Listed 1990/01/10
Cass County was among the first organized in Nebraska Territory, and Plattsmouth, located on the Missouri River, was one of four towns established in 1854. Because of its early establishment and prosperity Plattsmouth became the county seat. By the late 1880s, however, increased settlement throughout the county brought calls for a more centrally located county seat. While feuding continued, Plattsmouth forces countered opposition efforts by securing passage of a bond issue for a new courthouse. They hoped a new and costly courthouse would lessen the chance that the county seat would be moved. The result is the present courthouse, which was constructed in 1891-92 in the Romanesque Revival style. The building is relatively unaltered and retains a high degree of integrity.
McLaughlin-Waugh-Dovey House, pdf [CC14-067] Listed 1980/10/14
The McLaughlin-Waugh-Dovey House was built in 1883 for A. W. McLaughlin, an early cashier of the First National Bank in Plattsmouth. The property served as the home for succeeding cashiers of the bank (Samuel Waugh, Horatio Dovey) for nearly forty-five years and became known to area residents as the "Banker's House." A fine example of the Queen Anne style, the house has long been a Plattsmouth landmark.
Naomi Institute, pdf (Rock Bluff School) [CC15-002] Listed 1977/03/24
Situated on a slope overlooking Rock and Squaw creeks in the Missouri River bluffs, the one-story brick school is a remnant of the defunct village of Rock Bluff. Established by Joseph Diven Patterson and built in 1870 as the Naomi Institute, the building was originally a two-story structure. The Naomi Institute was known as one of the leading educational institutions in the state and the first institution in the county to offer secondary-level education. The school served as the Naomi Institute for only two years, and in the fall of 1872, the building became known as the Rock Bluff School.
Union Jail, pdf [CC17-007] Listed 2006/07/12
Constructed c.1916 this one-room jail is located in Union. The Union Jail is significant because it represents a period in the community's history when local officials thought the town required such a facility in order to maintain law and order. Since there was no marshal's office or city hall in which the jail could be located, the village decided to construct a freestanding structure. The establishment of this jail as the only municipal building in Union reinforces the village's concern for public safety.
Weeping Water Historic District, pdf [CC19] Listed 1972/12/08
The town of Weeping Water was incorporated in December 1870. It was known as the "stone city" because of the town's prosperous limestone industry. The first quarry operations began in the 1860s. The Congregational Church, built in 1870-71, and the parsonage, built about 1865, were constructed of locally quarried limestone. The district also contains an 1880s false-front commercial building of frame construction, which was the office and clinic of Dr. Jesse C. Fate, an early physician.
Gibson House, pdf [CC19-001] Listed 1986/03/20
The Gibson House, located in Weeping Water, is an excellent example in Nebraska of Georgian architecture. The house also incorporates Italianate features in its design. The two-story brick dwelling was built for Mary Gibson, the wife of a local attorney, sometime in the late 1880s or early 1890s.
How to list a property on the National Register
Return to Nebraska National Register Sites Index Page
Return to National Register information