Official Nebraska Government Website Nebraska State Historical Society

Nebraska National Register Sites
in Chase County


Rural Sites

 Lovett Site [25-CH-01] Listed 1972/05/05

Between A.D. 1675-1725 Apache peoples known as the Dismal River Complex (and related to populations in the Southwest, eastern Colorado, and western Kansas) developed a semi-sedentary, earthlodge-dwelling lifestyle in western Nebraska. Some aspects of the material culture and lifestyle are distinctively Southwestern, while other aspects reflect the culture of tribes such as the Pawnee.

The Lovett Site, located in Chase County, is one of the most extensively studied Dismal River sites in the state. Food was obtained primarily by hunting bison, deer, and other game, and was supplemented by growing corn and squash. Artifacts manufactured by village inhabitants, along with trade items of both European and Southwestern Native American manufacture, have been found.

 Texas Trail Stone Corral, pdf [CH00-041] Listed 2002/12/09

Constructed in about 1876 in rural Chase County, the Texas Trail Stone Corral is significant for its association with the cattle trade of the late nineteenth century. The corral gains importance from its location along the Texas Trail where it served in the development of the cattle industry through trade and transportation. The cattle trade that developed in the late 1800s had an immense commercial impact on the geographic areas it traversed, especially Nebraska, which served as the terminus of several cattle driving routes during the late nineteenth century.

Pinkie's Corner [CH00-085] Listed 2011/12/07

Pinkie's Corner, an acre of land in rural Chase County, reflects the life and times of the Great Depression era, simple yet distinct in its demonstration of one family's journey through a difficult period in our history. C. Roy Elvis "Pinkie" Hedges, a widely-patronized handyman and DELCO serviceman, became known locally as a "Supreme Do-It-Yourselfer." His knowledge of electricity was particularly important to the surrounding community during the period leading up to rural electrification. The site, including many of his inventions, which are excellent examples of vernacular engineering, is a rare example of a rural auto-related roadside business that dates from the late1920s and the Great Depression.

Urban Sites

    Champion Mill, pdf [CH01-001] Listed 1988/06/23

Champion Mill, located in the town of Champion, served the southwest Nebraska area as a flour and feed mill beginning in the late nineteenth century. The mill building was constructed on the Frenchman River in 1892, with later additions being made in 1918 and 1929. The mill pond offered activities such as fishing, swimming, boating, ice skating, and picnicking. When Champion Mill ceased operation in 1968, it was the last functional water-powered mill in the state. Purchased by the state of Nebraska in 1969, the mill property is a state historical park administered by the Nebraska Game and Parks Commission.

  Chase County Courthouse, pdf [CH04-007] Listed 1990/01/10

Chase County was organized in 1886, the same year Imperial became the county seat by beating out other contenders in three elections. The Burlington Railroad established Imperial as a rail stop when the railroad arrived in 1892. To encourage development in that community Burlington donated the first courthouse to the county. This wood frame building burned in 1910. That same year voters passed a bond measure to build a new courthouse. Construction began the following year and in 1912 the county moved into the building.

  Balcony House, pdf [CH04-025] Listed 2000/07/05

The Balcony House, located in Imperial, is significant for its association with transportation and more specifically the Detroit-Lincoln-Denver Highway. Built as a rural school in the 1880s, the building was closed in 1921 and relocated to Imperial. That same year it was converted to a hotel at a tourist camp along the Detroit-Lincoln-Denver Highway.

Wauneta Roller Mills, pdf [CH06-013] Listed 2008/3/12

The Wauneta Roller Mills is significant for its association with the industry of grain processing, including flour milling. Playing an important economic roll within the community, the Wauneta Roller Mills has provided an outlet for area grain producers since 1925. Throughout its history, the Wauneta Roller Mills has played a significant role in the agricultural industry and the economy of the local area.



How to list a property on the National Register

Return to Nebraska National Register Sites Index Page

Return to National Register information

 


NSHS Home  |  Search  |  Index  |  Top

http://www.nebraskahistory.org/histpres/nebraska/chase.htm
Last updated 27 June 2008

For questions or comments on the website itself, email nshs.web@nebraska.gov
Nebraska State Historical Society - P.O. Box 82554, 1500 R Street, Lincoln, NE 68501
Nebraska State Government Homepage
 |  Website Policies  |  © 2009 All Rights Reserved