Wolfe and Grey (Schuyler) Sites [25-CX-02, 25-CX-01] Listed 1974/07/30 and 1973/08/14
These two adjacent sites overlook Shell Creek near Schuyler. These villages apparently date from A.D. 1500-1650, and they were probably occupied by ancestors of the Grand Band of the Pawnee. Even during this early period, Euro-American manufactured items were filtering into Pawnee life through intertribal trade networks. Archeologists have not determined if the sites were a single village.
Zion Presbyterian Church, pdf [CX00-012] Listed 1988/01/07
Designed by M. D. Flechor, a Czech architect, the frame church was constructed near Clarkson in 1887-88 as the first Czech Presbyterian church in the state. The church cemetery was dedicated in 1875. Regular church services were held until December 1975.
Our Lady of Perpetual Help Catholic Church and Cemetery, pdf [CX00-024] Listed 1982/11/12
Also known as the Wilson Church, the building is a fine example of the Gothic Revival style, constructed in 1918. The parish originated in the 1870s, and the church was a religious and social center for Czech and German immigrants who settled in the area near Schuyler.
Z.C.B.J. Opera House, pdf [CX01-017] Listed 1988/09/28
Located in Clarkson, the twostory brick building was constructed in 1915 as a combination opera house and Czech fraternal lodge hall. The opera house has a balcony with built-in wooden benches and a stage with a prompt box and a trapdoor. The building continues in use today as a lodge hall and community center.
Colfax County Courthouse, pdf [CX06-001] Listed 1981/09/03
Built in 1921-22, the Colfax County Courthouse is a Second Renaissance Revival style building, which is an important landmark to the city of Schuyler and the county. George A. Berlinghof, a prolific designer of public buildings in Nebraska, was the architect.
Schuyler City Hall, pdf [CX06-002] Listed 1981/09/03
The city council considered plans for a new city hall in July 1907. In December the plans of architect Joseph Guth were accepted, and C. F. Kaul was awarded the building contract. The building was completed in 1909 at a cost of $11,000. The two-story masonry building features a prominent clock/bell tower and houses a fire station on the first level and a council chamber on the second floor. The German nativity of the architect and the widespread use of this medieval town hall type in German and Italian cities suggest that Guth drew on this background to design the Schuyler City Hall.
Oak Ballroom, pdf [CX06-003] Listed 1983/02/01
The Oak Ballroom is located on the banks of Lost Creek and is the focal point of Schuyler's city park. Designed by local architect Emiel Christensen, the ballroom incorporates architectural elements common to Period houses. The building has been an important entertainment and cultural center for the surrounding region. It was constructed as a relief project of the Works Progress Administration in 1935-37 and derives its name from the huge timbers and beams cut from native oak.
John Janecek House, pdf [CX06-004] Listed 1982/07/15
John Janecek emigrated to the United States from Bohemia in 1870 and settled in Colfax County in 1873. He was best known in Schuyler as the builder and proprietor of the Janecek Opera House, the hub of social activity in the county around the turn of the century. The house was designed by Henry Voss, a German-born architect from Omaha, Nebraska. Constructed in 1885-86, the frame house was stuccoed in 1927.
Schuyler Carnegie Library, pdf [CX06-039] Listed 2001/11/29
Located in Schuyler, the Carnegie Library was constructed in 1911-12. The library is significant for its association with education in the community. The building retains a high degree of integrity.
Schuyler United States Post Office, pdf [CX06-076] Listed 1992/05/11
The Schuyler United States Post Office, is a one-story, red brick building constructed in 1938-39 in the Modernistic style. While the building retains a high degree of integrity, its historical significance derives from the mural painted on an interior wall.
Through New Deal programs such as the Public Works of Art Project and the WPA Federal Art Project, thousands of artists were employed. In 1934 the Section of Painting and Sculpture (renamed the Section of Fine Arts in 1938) was organized under the auspices of the Treasury Department to provide murals and sculpture for the many federal buildings constructed during the New Deal era.
Between 1938 and 1942 the Treasury Department's Section of Fine Arts (generally known as "the Section") commissioned twelve murals for twelve newly constructed post offices in Nebraska. Schuyler, along with the other eleven post office murals in Nebraska represent the Section's goal of making art accessible to the general population by reserving one percent of new building construction budgets for art.
How to list a property on the National Register
Return to Nebraska National Register Sites Index Page
Return to National Register information