Homer Site [25-DK-05] Listed 1973/08/14
Located near the town of Homer, Big Village or "Ton won tonga," the principal village of the Omaha tribe, was occupied intermittently for nearly seventy-five years. The community was first constructed about 1775, abandoned, and then reoccupied sometime prior to 1795. During the 1790s the Omaha at Big Village, under the leadership of Chief Blackbird, resisted Spanish attempts to gain control of the Missouri River fur trade. Along with the Ponca, the Omaha succeeded in discouraging the Spanish efforts by blocking their northward advance and establishing themselves as "middlemen traders." Big Village was struck by the devastating 1800-1801 smallpox epidemic, forcing the Omaha to abandon the site. When Lewis and Clark ascended the Missouri in 1804, they found nearly 300 empty lodges at the site. Big Village probably was occupied again during the years 1810-22, 1832-41, and 1843-45.
Cornelius O'Connor House, pdf [DK00-001] Listed 1977/11/23
The two-story, brick house, located near Homer, was designed and built by Cornelius O'Connor, an Irish immigrant. O'Connor had been a carpenter, but became a farmer after settling in Nebraska. He represented Dakota County in the territorial legislature, and he was instrumental in establishing the first school in Dakota county, the O'Connor School, which he directed for over twenty years.
Ben Bonderson Farm, pdf [DK00-113] Listed 2006/11/08
The Bonderson farm is located in rural Dakota County. The farm is an excellent collection of buildings representative of an historically significant pattern of agricultural development in Dakota County. The farmhouse and associated outbuildings retain good physical integrity. The rural setting is intact and strengthens the feeling of a late nineteen-early twentieth century farmstead.
Emmanuel Lutheran Church, pdf [DK01-001] Listed 1969/10/15
The Emmanuel Lutheran Church, located in the town of Dakota, is believed to be one of the oldest church buildings in the state. Designed and constructed in 1860 by congregation member Augustus T. Haase, the church incorporates Greek Revival elements in its design. The congregation was organized in 1859 by the Reverend Henry W. Kuhns, a Lutheran missionary sent to Nebraska Territory in 1858.
Meisch House, pdf [DK05-003] Listed 1986/03/13
The Meisch House is a well preserved and notably elaborate example of one of Nebraska's most common house types: the one-story "square" or "cubic" house. The house was constructed in 1888, only a year after South Sioux City was incorporated, and it remains the best example of an early brick house in town. Very little is known about builder Peter Meisch except that he owned a brick yard. Local legend holds that Meisch set up a kiln directly west of the site and fired the bricks to construct the house.
How to list a property on the National Register
Return to Nebraska National Register Sites Index Page
Return to National Register information