Uehling Barn, pdf [DD00-049] Listed 1985/08/01
The Uehling Barn is located on a hill overlooking the town of Uehling. The prominence of the structure and its location have made it a local landmark since it was built in 1918. The wood-frame barn is one of a small number of "round" barns in Nebraska. Its builder, Frank Theodore Uehling, was the son of Theodore and Catherine Schwab Uehling, emigrants from Germany. Theodore platted the town of Uehling in 1906. After attending the University of Nebraska College of Agriculture, Frank Uehling established a stock farm, which became a model and the center of pure-bred livestock raising in Dodge County.
Christopher Knoell Farmstead, pdf (Knoell-Bang Farmstead) [DD00-050] Listed 1983/01/13
The Christopher Knoell Farmstead, located near Fremont, is an example of a well-preserved, late nineteenth century farmstead in eastern Nebraska. The homestead retains most of the structures used in the farming and cattle raising operations of the Christopher Knoell and Lyle Bang families since the 1880s. The most striking building of the farmstead is the two-story brick Italianate house constructed in 1888. The property also includes a large frame barn, built in 1908-9, and various outbuildings.
Nye House, pdf (Louis E. May Museum) [DD05:A-037] Listed 1977/11/23
The Nye House is an elegant, two-story brick residence originally constructed about 1874 and slowly modified during the first decade of the twentieth century. The original dwelling was a two-story brick Italianate structure built for Theron Nye. He engaged in various businesses including grain freighting, lumber, banking, and farming. Nye was elected Fremont's first mayor and also served as county commissioner. Upon Nye's death, his son Ray began a series of additions and alterations to the house. The Georgian Revival renovation was performed by the Milwaukee architectural firm of Ferry and Class and gave the dwelling its present appearance.
R. B. Schneider House, pdf [DD05:A-051] Listed 1982/07/15
The large two-story frame house, located in Fremont, exemplifies a transitional product of Queen Anne and Neo-Classical Revival styles. Businessman R. B. Schneider, founder of the Nye, Schneider, Fowler Company, grain dealers, built the house in 1887 with later additions being made about 1897 and 1909.
Charles T. Durkee House [DD05:A-075] Listed 2011/08/10
As owner and manager of the Globe Cornice Works, Charles T. Durkee was one of the only artisan businessmen providing sheet metal, and associated building materials, outside of Omaha and Lincoln between 1885 and 1919. Durkee contributed to his field with patented improvements to cornice gutter systems in 1911 and was a significant figure in Fremont's early industrial development. His modest home, which blends the Craftsman and Prairie styles, is located in one of Fremont's most fashionable streets of the 1910s and serves as an important transitional property in Fremont's residential architecture evolution.
Fremont Municipal Auditorium, pdf [DD05: A-077] Listed 2002/07/11
The Art Deco style building, constructed in 1937, is located in Fremont. The auditorium is significant as a project partially funded by the Federal Emergency Administration of Public Works (FEAPW), a program administered by the Public Works Administration. The FEAPW provided matching grants to local governments for public works projects.
Samuel Bullock House, pdf [DD05:A085] Listed 1985/09/12
An example of the Greek Revival style, the house was built in 1869 in Fremont for Samuel Bullock, a prominent interior decorator. In the 1890s the frame lean-to in the rear was replaced by a brick addition. The house was later owned by Dr. Joshua S. Devries, a pioneer Nebraska physican and surgeon, who graduated from the University of Nebraska Medical Department in 1888.
Fremont Commercial Historic District, pdf [DD05] Listed 1995/02/17
The Fremont Historic Commercial District consists of an enclave of late nineteenth - and early twentieth-century buildings that represent Fremont's role as a regional center of wholesale and retail commerce. The asymmetrical-shaped district includes portions of seven city blocks in Fremont's central business district. These blocks are part of the original town plat filed in 1856 by the Fremont Town Lot Company.
Barnard Park Historic District, pdf [DD05:C] Listed 1990/07/12
The Barnard Park Historic District is a residential district surrounding a city park in Fremont, Nebraska. The neighborhood was platted in three different sections following the initial platting of the town. The houses were built for the professional and business community and are representative of the architectural styles popular during the late nineteenth - and early twentieth -centuries. The most numerous houses are Queen Annes, bungalows, and American Four-Squares.
Turner House, pdf [DD05:C-213] Listed 1996/01/11
The George and Nancy Turner House, a two-story brick Italianate-style residence, is located in Fremont, Nebraska. The main portion of the house, including a small one-story kitchen wing, was completed in 1868. A second one-story rear addition was added in 1874, and a Queen Anne-style entrance was added to the main facade c.1889-91.
J. D. McDonald House, pdf [DD05:D-013] Listed 1980/12/10
The J. D. McDonald House, built in 1888, is an excellent example of the Queen Anne style. While employing the varied building materials and roof lines typical of Queen Anne architecture, this structure has a distinctive rounded and engaged tower set back from the corner of the house. J. D. McDonald was a prominent railroad contractor and banker in Fremont.
Fremont Municipal Power Plant and Pumping Station, pdf [DD05: D-151] Listed 2002/07/11
Constructed in several stages between 1885 and 1950, the Fremont Municipal Power Plant and Pumping Station is a prominent landmark in that community. Like the rest of the nation, Nebraska began generating electricity in the early 1880s. The earliest plants were privately owned, but the first municipally owned and operated electrical plants soon began to appear in the state. With its 1895 construction date, the Fremont Power Plant was only the sixth such publicly owned facility built in Nebraska. In an almost continuous program of expansion and improvements the Fremont structure has undergone a series of modifications designed to accommodate new, larger generating equipment.
Old Fremont Post Office, pdf [DD05:E-002] Listed 1996/02/29
Fremont was one of the earliest and smallest communities in Nebraska to receive a federally constructed post office. Politics traditionally played a prominent role in the location and construction of post offices and the Old Fremont Post Office is no exception. As such, this building represents a significant example of a building constructed during a period in history when political influence helped dictate community developments. The original sandstone building was constructed in 1893-95 in the Richardsonian Romanesque style. Two historic additions were added in 1910-11 and 1936-37.
Love-Larson Opera House, pdf [DD05:E-003] Listed 1974/09/10
The theater was built by James Wheeler Love in 1888. In 1905 it was purchased by L. P. Larson and renamed the L. P. Larson Opera House. The three-story brick and stone building is a landmark in the town of Fremont and is one of the largest remaining opera houses in the state. A local nonprofit corporation, Friends of the Fremont Opera House, was organized to preserve the historic building as a performing arts and community center.
Osterman and Tremaine Building, pdf (Ideal Steam Laundry) [DD05:E-004] Listed 1978/05/23
The original building was constructed in 1884 by Charles Osterman and George Tremaine, wholesale produce dealers in Fremont. The Ideal Steam Laundry, Johnson and Company, proprietors, moved into the building in 1894 and doubled the size of the structure in 1911. The building is an example of commercial architecture of the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries, and it has been rehabilitated for office use.
Dodge County Courthouse, pdf [DD05:E-006] Listed 1990/01/10
Dodge County was established in 1856. Fontenelle was named temporary county seat, but Fremont won the county seat designation in 1860. In 1867 the county built the first courthouse, a two-story brick structure. In December 1887 fire severely damaged this building. As a result, county residents approved a bond issue in 1888 for a new courthouse. Dedicated in 1890, this building also fell victim to fire in 1915. The third and current courthouse was constructed on the same site as the others. This Classical Revival-style building was formally dedicated in 1918.
Hooper Historic District, pdf [DD06] Listed 1980/05/08
The Hooper Historic District consists almost entirely of one- and two-story brick commercial buildings located along the main street. Dating from the late nineteenth century, the district is a well-preserved village of "American Renaissance" architecture, incorporating elements of Romanesque Revival and Italianate styles. Due to several fires in the 1880s, an ordinance was passed requiring all buildings to be of brick construction. This ordinance helped insure the permanence and integrity of Hooper's main street.
North Bend Carnegie Library, pdf [DD09-010] Listed 1981/09/03
The North Bend Carnegie Library, dedicated in 1913, is a typical example of a small town library in the early twentieth century. Andrew Carnegie, often called the "Patron Saint" of libraries, was responsible for funding the construction of sixty-eight Nebraska libraries and over 1,600 libraries nationwide. This library was designed by Lincoln architect J. R. Smith.
Harder Hotel, pdf [DD10-063] Listed 1989/11/27
The Harder Hotel, constructed in 1901 in Scribner, is significant for its association with the commercial development of the town and as a very early manifestation of the building boom of second generation hotels that was occurring statewide during the first quarter of the twentieth century. The hotels built during this period, as exemplified by the Harder, were multi-floor, brick buildings that offered the most "modern" conveniences and catered especially to the businessmen that traveled via railroad. The Harder Hotel is especially interesting because it was built right at the turn of the century and contrasted sharply with what appears to be the only other hotel in the town; a first generation hotel of wood frame construction with limited facilities.
Scribner Town Hall, pdf [DD10-069] Listed 2010/08/30
The Scriber Town Hall was constructed in 1906 to house Scribner's power and light station, city offices, community meeting spaces and the fire department. This multi-purpose building is situated in a prominent location near the town's Main Street and the Fremont, Elkhorn and Missouri Valley Railroad. With its iconic bell tower and Romanesque Revival architecture, the Scriber Town Hall symbolizes community utility, pride and permanence.
Schneider's Opera House, pdf [DD11-002] Listed 1988/09/28
The two-story brick building, located in Snyder, was constructed in 1900-1901 for Conrad Schneider. It has an elaborate pressed metal cornice and an unusual semicircular wooden balcony on the front facade. The opera house, above a first-floor hardware store, has a stage with a decorative wooden proscenium arch, a balcony with original bench seating, and a wooden railing.
How to list a property on the National Register
Return to Nebraska National Register Sites Index Page
Return to National Register information