More National Register Sites in Douglas County
Champe-Fremont 1 Archeological Site [25-DO-01] Listed 1975/10/21
Approximately A.D. 1300-1400 prehistoric hunters and farmers established this community overlooking the Elkhorn River flood plain. The villagers constructed a cluster of five to seven square, earth-covered lodges and possibly two burial mounds. The most interesting feature of the site was the presence of fragmented, charred human skeletal remains on the floor of one lodge. The structure probably was used as a crematorium or "charnal house."
Cabanne Archeological Site [25-DO-08] Listed 1972/05/05
In 1822 the firm of Berthold, Chouteau and Pratte, more commonly known as the "French Company," built this fur trading post on the Missouri River north of present-day Omaha. It was operated by John Pierre Cabanne until 1833. Joshua Pilcher assumed command of the post in 1833-35 until its abandonment in the early 1840s. The post's success was bolstered in part by its ability to provision the garrison at nearby Ft. Atkinson (1819-27). The, post consisted of a row of storehouses, shops, and houses, including Cabanne's large two-story home with a balcony facing the river.
Frank Parker Archeological Site [25DO169; 25WN1] Listed 2009/03/04
This archeological site contains adjacent areas located within the remnant of a terrace near a former channel of the Missouri River. The site contains previously excavated and newly discovered evidence of an earth lodge settlement from the Nebraska phase of the central plains tradition (A.D. 1000-1400). The site has already contributed to our understanding of Nebraska phase architecture, feature organization and material culture and has the potential to yield important information with further archeological investigation.
Lincoln Highway, pdf County Road 120, pdf [DO00-014] Listed 2003/03/13
This three-mile section of the Lincoln Highway is between Omaha and Elkhorn in Douglas County. The segment is significant for its association with the Lincoln Highway. Originally an unpaved route, this section of the Lincoln Highway was paved with brick in 1920. This rural road retains good integrity and provides the experience of traveling on an early twentieth-century highway.
Sites in Urban Douglas County are listed in alphabetical order using the historic name. For example: for the William H. Tyler House look under "W" for William.
Ackerhurst-Eippehurst Dairy Barn, pdf [DO09:1372-001] Listed 2002/03/28
Constructed in 1935 this extraordinary example of a Dutch Gambrel dairy barn is located in rural Douglas County. The Ackerhurst-Eippehurst Dairy Barn has been a local landmark for decades, widely recognized as an exemplary illustration of the Nebraska dairy industry, and for its scale.
The Anderson Building, pdf [DO09:0122-042] Listed 2009/11/20
Constructed in 1924, the Anderson Building is one of Omaha's best examples of the second stage of Sullivanesque architecture. In his design, Omaha architect William Gernandt commissioned pieces from the Midland Terra Cotta Company and placed them according to rules for ornamentation established by famed architect Louis H. Sullivan. The Anderson Building is also an exceptional example of a Commercial Apartment building, with five commercial bays on its 24th Street façade and a separate residential entrance on Jones Street.
Anheuser-Busch Office Building, pdf [DO09:121-030] Listed 1979/02/01
The Anheuser-Busch Office Building is the only remaining structure of the Anheuser-Busch Beer Depot, a nineteenth century distributing complex. The office building is one of the most elaborate examples of the Romanesque Revival style in Omaha. Other major components of the beer depot included: a stable, beer vault/ice house, and cobblestone alley. Architect Henry Voss of Omaha designed the complex for the Anheuser Busch Brewing Association of St. Louis.
Apartments at 2514 N. 16th Street, pdf [DO09:0138-005] Listed 2010/08/30
This small "four-plex flat" apartment building was constructed in 1929 by developer H. A. Wolf and designed by prominent Omaha architect Richard Everett. Impressive double-decker porches on the façade provide each of the four apartments with generous outdoor living space and represent a hallmark of the Sunlight and Air movement in multi-family residential design. In addition to its architectural significance, the building is also associated with community development and reflects the continued prominence of the Sherman Avenue / North 16th Street Streetcar Corridor in North Omaha.
Aquila Court Building, pdf [DO09:122-005] Listed 1973/10/02
The Aquila Court Building, located in Omaha, is a large, U-shaped structure incorporating offices, retail shops, and townhouses around a central courtyard. Designed as a commercial adaptation of the Renaissance Revival style, the building was constructed about 1923 as a real estate venture of Chicago capitalists Charles and Raymond Cook.
Astro Theater, pdf [DO09:124-012] Listed 1974/08/13
Opened in 1926 as the Riviera, the theater was one of the highly elegant entertainment facilities of the time and was noted for its lavish stage shows combined with movies. Later known as the Astro Theater, the building, located in Omaha, was designed by nationally renowned architect John Eberson, and is an excellent example of the "atmospheric" theater popular during the 1920s. Created by Eberson, these atmospheric theaters simulated romantic outdoor Mediterranean courtyards with a night sky above, complete with twinkling stars and drifting clouds.
Bank of Florence, pdf [DO09:254-003] Listed 1969/10/15
The bank of Florence was chartered by Nebraska's territorial legislature in 1856. The building was erected the following summer at a cost of $4,500 by Levi Harsh for the financial firm of Cook, Sargent, and Parker of Davenport, Iowa. The bank played an important role in the development of the town of Florence, now a section of northeastern Omaha.
Barker Building, pdf [DO09:0123-078] Listed 2008/07/02
Designed by the architectural firm Allan and Wallace, and built by the contractor Kiewit Construction, the 1929 Barker Building is architecturally significant. Both the architectural firm and contractor responsible for the building are considered local masters. The building is a fine example of the Neo-Gothic Revival style and possesses the distinctive characteristics of the architectural period knows as Traditional Modernism (1900-1940). Following a national phenomenon during the roaring economy of the 1920s, a seventh story was added to the Barker Building after another Omaha building project announced it would reach that height.
Beebe and Runyan Furniture Showroom and Warehouse, pdf [DO09:068-001] Listed 1998/07/23
The Beebe and Runyan Furniture Showroom and Warehouse, located in Omaha, was built in 1913. It is a seven-story brick and hollow tile building. The building reflects the late Renaissance Revival style. Omaha is the largest city in the state as well as the terminus for the first transcontinental railroad, and as such experienced growth spurts during the 1880s and 1910s of which this building is a product.
Bemis Omaha Bag Company Building, pdf [DO09:121-029] Listed 1985/01/11
The Bemis Bag Building, occupying nearly one-half a city block and standing five stories tall, is an imposing part of Omaha's historic warehouse area. The building was constructed in three phases between 1887 and 1902. The Bemis Company was a national leader in the manufacturing and sale of bags and sacks for flour, grain, and other commodities.
Bennington State Bank, pdf [DO09:1386-001] Listed 2006/11/08
Constructed in 1911 the Bennington State Bank is significant for its association with the development of Bennington and the surrounding area. Between 1911 and 1928 the Bennington State Bank helped shape the lives of those living in and around Bennington. Aside from its importance to the community's business sector the bank also had close ties to the surrounding agricultural sector. As a result, the bank struggled during the agricultural depression following World War I to the extent that it was finally forced to close its doors in 1928. Still, the physical integrity of the building reflects the important role the bank played in Bennington's history.
The Berkeley Apartments, pdf [DO09:122-052] Listed 1996/07/19
The Berkeley Apartments is a three-story over basement, rectangular apartment building, built in 1915. Constructed of load bearing brick walls, this eclectic-style apartment building contains thirteen apartment units and retains a high degree of both interior and exterior integrity. The Berkeley was designed by H. D. Frankfurt, a local architect who designed numerous multi-family dwellings.
Blackstone Hotel, pdf [DO09:319-006] Listed 1985/01/11
The Blackstone Hotel, Omaha's most prestigious hotel following its construction in 1916, was built by the Bankers Realty Investment Company. Charles Schimmel purchased the building in 1920 and made the Blackstone a "symbol of elegance" for Omahans for half a century. Under Schimmel, the hotel published its own magazine, The Black Stonian, and maintained its own Pierce Arrow limousine which met visiting dignitaries arriving by train. The pastry shop and various dining rooms, especially the Orleans Room, were famous for fine food. The hotel represents a fine example of the Second Renaissance Revival style.
Bradford-Pettis House, pdf [DO09:319-008] Listed 1983/07/21
Located in Omaha, the Bradford-Pettis House was designed by local architect John McDonald for Dana and Savilla Bradford in 1910. Dana Bradford was president of the Bradford-Kennedy Lumber Company. After his death in 1923, his widow married Edward F. Pettis, secretary-treasurer and a director of the J. L. Brandeis and Sons Store. The house combines Prairie style and Georgian Revival style influences.
Brandeis-Millard House, pdf [DO09:317-002] Listed 1980/11/28
The Brandeis-Millard House, designed by architect Albert Kahn of Detroit, is an early and fine example of the Jacobethan Revival style. Built in 1904 for Arthur and Zerlina Brandeis, the house was purchased in 1909 by Jessie H. Millard as a residence for herself and her father, Senator Joseph H. Millard. Senator Millard was involved in the development of Omaha, serving as president of the Omaha National Bank, mayor of Omaha in 1871, and U.S. senator, 1901-7.
Broomfield Rowhouse (pdf) [DO09:222-002] Listed 2007/3/21
Constructed in 1913 the Broomfield Rowhouse is located in Omaha. It is architecturally significant as the work of a master, Clarence Wigington. An African-American architect, Wigington learned his skills from the prominent architect T. R. Kimball. After refining his skills under Kimball's tutelage, Wigington went on to develop his own unique style and techniques during a career that lasted from 1902 to 1963.
Burlington Headquarters Building, pdf [DO09:123-008] Listed 1974/12/04
The Burlington and Missouri (later the Chicago, Burlington and Quincy) Railroad Headquarters Building in Omaha is a commercial adaptation of the Italianate style. The original three-story brick structure was built in 1879, with a fourth floor added around 1886. The building was remodeled in 1899 by Omaha architect Thomas Rogers Kimball to resemble the Chicago, Burlington, and Quincy Railroad Company building in Chicago, recognized as a showplace of the time. The interior displays a unique combination of skylight, cast iron railings, staircases, columns, and ornamental detailing.
Burlington Station, pdf [DO09:119-004] Listed 1974/08/07
The Burlington Railroad Station, located in Omaha, was completed in 1898. It served both passengers and freight interests for many years. Originally designed in the Greek Revival style by Thomas Rogers Kimball, it was extensively remodeled in 1930 by Graham, Anderson, Probst, and White of Chicago in the Neo-Classical Revival style.
Capitol Garage, pdf [DO09-0126-018] Listed 2012/05/11
As one of Omaha's earliest ramp garages, the Capitol Garage was one of the initial automobile rental businesses in Omaha. As it developed, the company became a Hertz franchise and was involved in organizing that company's national advertising campaigns. Thus, in addition to representing the beginning of the automobile rental business in Omaha, Capitol Garage also represents the nationalization of the car rental business through the development of franchises in various cities across America and national marketing campaigns.
Carl Penke Farm, pdf [DO09:1494-001] Listed 2007/3/21
Located in rural Douglas County the Carl Penke Farm is significant for its association with agriculture. Penke purchased the property in 1909 and farmed it until his death in 1936. The collection of farm related resources is a good representation of early twentieth century agriculture in Nebraska.
Center School, pdf [DO09:115-005] Listed 1985/08/23
Center School, now known as Lincoln School, was constructed in 1893 in Omaha as a neighborhood grade school and enlarged in 1916 with the addition of classrooms and a gymnasium. The building is a local adaptation of the Richardsonian Romanesque style by architect John Latenser, Sr., a designer of public schools in Nebraska and Iowa.
Charles D. McLaughlin House, pdf [DO09:317-004] Listed 1982/11/08
Designed by Omaha architect John McDonald, the house is a distinctive example of the Georgian Revival style, located in Omaha's Gold Coast neighborhood. Built in 1905 for Charles McLaughlin, the most prominent residents of the house were Edward E. Bruce, a wholesale druggist, and Dr. R. Russell Best, a nationally known surgeon and professor of anatomy and surgery.
Christian Specht Building, pdf [DO09:123-005] Listed 1977/09/19
The 1884 Christian Specht Building is a three-story commercial structure designed by Dufrene and Mendelssohn, Omaha architects. The cast iron front was manufactured by the Western Cornice Works. Christian Specht, a native of Berlin, moved to Omaha from Cincinnati in 1880 and established the Western Cornice Works, which manufactured galvanized iron cornices, metal dormer windows, finials, window caps, tin and iron roofing, and a metal skylight patented by Specht. The galvanized iron front is designed in the Renaissance Revival style, popular in cast iron facades of the period.
City National Bank Building / Orpheum Theater, pdf [DO09:123-023] Listed 1973/03/26
The sixteen-story steel and brick office building erected for the City National Bank in 1910 was Omaha's first skyscraper. The design was based upon Chicago principles and executed by the prominent Chicago School architectural firm of Holabird and Roche. In 1927 the newly expanded Orpheum Theater, a three-story brick building which butted against the bank, projected a lobby to the bank's main facade, giving the theater an established and prestigious entrance.
Columbian School, pdf [DO09:317-045] Listed 1990/11/28
The Columbian School is a two-story grammar school building constructed in 1892. It is an excellent example of the Richardsonian Romanesque style of architecture, a style employed for many of the most important civic and commercial buildings constructed in Omaha during its first boom period. Grand scale Romanesque Revival-style buildings patterned after those of H. H. Richardson and his followers symbolized Omaha's transformation from frontier village to city in the late 1880s and early 1890s.
Country Club Historic District, pdf [DO09:] Listed 2004/12/30
The Country Club Historic District is significant as an early 20th century Omaha subdivision that was planned and marketed to attract homebuyers who expected an exceptionally high level of quality and consistency in neighborhood layout, amenities, home design, and environment. The district has a large concentration and variety of fine period revival houses, many of them designed by local architects.
Dr. Samuel D. Mercer House, pdf (Mercer Apartments) [DO09:325-004] Listed 1976/06/17
Samuel D. Mercer, who built the house in 1883-85, organized the first hospital in Omaha in 1868 and also organized the Omaha Medical College. He served as chief surgeon of the Union Pacific Railroad for many years and was affiliated with the University of Nebraska Medical Department, the United States Pension Examiners, and the Nebraska Medical Association. The Mercer family occupied the dwelling until 1920, when it was converted into apartments. The house is a fine example of the Queen Anne style.
Douglas County Courthouse, pdf [DO09:124-015] Listed 1979/10/11
The 1909-12 Douglas County Courthouse is an outstanding example of the Renaissance Revival style. The courthouse is important in the career of architect John Latenser, St., as a mature and triumphant work that commenced the latter half of his practice. Decorative stonework, superbly executed, is plentiful on the building's exterior. The courthouse is a landmark in downtown Omaha.
Drake Court Apartments and Dartmore Apartments Historic District, pdf [DO09:122-008] Listed 1980/11/10
Constructed between 1916 and 1921, this complex of nineteen residential buildings was erected by the Drake Realty Construction Company. William Drake's company was responsible for over 1,000 Omaha apartment units between 1918 and 1929. The district's architecture combines Georgian Revival and Prairie styles and demonstrates trends that were popular in the Midwest between 1916 and 1921.
Dundee/Happy Hollow Historic District, pdf [DO09] Listed 2005/07/22
The Dundee/Happy Hollow Historic District was platted as an independent suburb that was later annexed by the City of Omaha. The district as a whole is a notable example of late-nineteenth and early-twentieth century suburban development. Collectively, the district's high style, architect-designed homes along scenic boulevards is an historically significant area.
Edgar Zabriskie House, pdf [DO09:216-002] Listed 1978/11/28
The house represents a flamboyant version of the Queen Anne style. The residence, constructed in 1889, is one of the best Eastlake-influenced houses in Omaha and one of the few remaining Queen Anne dwellings. Edgar Zabriskie led an adventurous life as a Civil War soldier, Union Pacific general agent, and accountant. Born in New York City in 1840, Zabriskie was of Polish descent.
Eggerss-O'Flyng Building, pdf [DO09:119-001] Listed 1991/12/13
The one-half block by one block Eggerss-O'Flying Building, located in Omaha, was constructed in four stages over a period of twenty-six years. The warehouse comprises a 1902 three-story building designed by Omaha architect Joseph Guth; a six-story structure built to the east of the original structure in 1912, also by Guth; the addition of three stories to the original structure in 1918, assumed to have been designed by Guth; and a four-story addition south of the original building designed in 1928 by architect John Latenser.
Farm Credit Building [DO09:0124-032] Listed 2011/03/29
Built by the Bankers Reserve Life Company in 1923, and designed by architect F. A. Henninger, this building was strongly associated with the establishment of the Farm Credit Administration (FCA) in 1933, an important program in President Roosevelt's Depression-era New Deal. By the late 1920s, the 11-story building was occupied by the 8th District (Nebraska, Wyoming, and the Dakotas) of the Federal Land Bank; however, the establishment of the FCA required increased staffing and the consolidation of several agencies already operating in Omaha. To accommodate this rapid growth a "twin" addition, also designed by Henninger, was constructed in 1934.
The Farnam Building, pdf [DO09:124-042] Listed 2000/03/09
The Farnam Building is significant for its contribution to commerce in Omaha. Since its construction in 1929 by the Byron Reed Company, the building has played an important role in the business community. The building was the locus for the financiers and lawyers community who met at the Northup-Jones restaurant on the street level. The Farnam Building illustrates ornately detailed Art Deco, Nouveau, and Gothic ornamentation.
Father Flanagan's House, pdf (Listed 1979/09/06) and Father Flanagan's Boys Home, pdf (NHL) [DO02] Listed 1985/02/04
Boys Town is internationally famous as a refuge for homeless boys. It began in Omaha in 1917 and evolved into a separate municipality on the outskirts of the city through the efforts of its founder, Father Edward Joseph Flanagan. The personal home of Father Flanagan was the second building erected on the campus and is now the oldest remaining structure at Boys Town. The dwelling was designed by architect Jacob M. Nachtigall in the Georgian Revival style and was constructed 1926-27.
Federal Office Building, pdf [DO09:0123-002] Listed 2009/03/17
A product of the New Deal, this eleven story office building was constructed in downtown Omaha by the federal government between July of 1933 and February of 1934. Amazingly, it was ahead of schedule and under budget. The Federal Office Building conveys the federal presence in Omaha as well as a sense of community accomplishment and pride. Additionally, the building is an excellent local example of the Stripped Classical style with Art Deco embellishments that was popularized by the federal construction projects during the 1930s and 1940s.
Field Club Historic District, pdf [DO09] Listed 2000/11/15
The construction of the oldest house in Omaha's Field Club Historic District dates to 1889. The district is significant as one of the best and most intact historic residential neighborhoods in the city and, serves as an illustration of some of Omaha's best-known and prolific architects and builders, while representing a wide variety of architectural styles.
First National Bank Building, pdf [DO09:124-016] Listed 1982/06/25
One of the most distinguished skyscrapers in Omaha, the bank building, erected in 1916-17, is a U-shaped, fourteen-story, steel-frame office building. It was designed by the Chicago firm of Graham, Burnham, and Company. Its sophisticated composition and height make the building a visual and architectural landmark in downtown Omaha. The bank traces its origin to the Kountze Brothers, early Omaha financiers.
First Unitarian Church, pdf [DO09:210-005] Listed 1980/03/27
The church building, dedicated in 1918 in Omaha, is an early and fine example of the Colonial Revival style, designed by John and Alan McDonald. The building reproduces in the Midwest an eighteenth century house of worship typical of the New England region where Unitarianism originated. Former U.S. President William Howard Taft, then serving as president of the Unitarian Church Conference, officiated at the cornerstone-laying ceremony.
Flatiron Hotel, pdf [DO09:122-002] Listed 1978/09/21
The three-sided structure on a triangular block is a landmark in the downtown Omaha area. Designed in the Georgian Revival style by architect George B. Prinz, the building was constructed in 1911-12. Augustus F. Kountze, a local banker and landowner, had the building erected as commercial and office space.
Ford Hospital, pdf [DO09:209-006] Listed 1986/03/20
The former Ford Hospital was erected in 1916 by Dr. Michael J. Ford. The building was the last small, privately owned hospital established in Omaha. Probably the most famous case in the hospital's history was the treatment there of Mayor Ed Smith after he was nearly lynched by a mob during Omaha's courthouse riot September 28,1919. Dr. Ford owned the hospital until 1922, and by 1929 the structure had been purchased and remodeled as the Fifth Avenue Hotel.
Fort Omaha Historic District, pdf [DO09:238] Listed 1974/03/27
Troops were first stationed in Omaha in 1862 when the city became headquarters for the Military District of Nebraska. Omaha was made headquarters for the Department of the Platte in April 1866. The site for a new post was selected by Major General C. C. Augur and inspected by General William T. Sherman. By mid-November 1868 barracks had been completed. Originally called Sherman Barracks, the post was renamed Omaha Barracks and finally, Fort Omaha in 1878. In 1879 Ponca Chief Standing Bear was held there awaiting trial in the case of Standing Bear vs. Crook. The case set legal precedent in granting Indians status as persons under the law. During World War I Fort Omaha was the site of a major balloon school. The historic district includes a group of structures around a rectangular parade ground: the General George Crook House (see separate summary); department headquarters and storehouse, all constructed in 1879; and the guardhouse, magazine, and officers' quarters built in the 1880s.
Gallagher Building, pdf [DO09:113-046] Listed 1994/07/01
The two-story brick Gallagher Building, located in Omaha, was constructed in 1888 for use as stores and flats. The first floor consists of three commercial bays divided by two doors opening into stairways to three second-story apartments. The apartments also have entries from a two-story frame porch in the rear. The building is a fine local example of the commercial flat building type and has good integrity both architecturally and functionally.
Garneau-Kilpatrick House, pdf [DO09:212-001] Listed 1982/10/07
Built in 1890 for Joseph Garneau, Jr., of the Garneau Cracker Company, the house was later associated with Thomas Kilpatrick, who occupied it from 1903 until his death in 1916. Kilpatrick, Omaha dry goods retailer and clothing manufacturer, founded Thomas Kilpatrick and Company, acquired later by Younker Brothers Stores.
General George Crook House, pdf [DO09:238-001] Listed 1969/04/16
General George Crook was a distinguished Civil War officer. He lived at Fort Omaha (see separate summary) as commander of the U.S. Army's Department of the Platte from 1875 to 1882 and again from 1886 to 1888. He moved into the Italianate style two-story residence, commonly known as the Crook House, following its completion in 1879.
George A. Joslyn Mansion, pdf [DO09:321-001] Listed 1972/08/25, Amended, pdf 2009/03/05
Located in Omaha, construction of the "Joslyn Castle" began in 1902 and was completed eleven months later at a cost of $250,000. The thirty-five-room limestone mansion, designed by Omaha architect John McDonald, was built for George A. and Sarah H. Joslyn. Joslyn was president of the Western Newspaper Union and also operated a lucrative patent medicine business. The Joslyn name is probably most frequently associated with the Joslyn Memorial Art Museum at 2201 Dodge Street. Built by Sarah Joslyn in memory of her husband, the museum houses Nebraska's largest art collection.
George A. Joslyn's contributions to American history as president and manager of the Western Newspaper Union (WNU) from 1890 through his death in 1916 are nationally significant. At its peak during this period, WNU was a virtual monopoly supplying 7,185 newspapers with their ready print material. During a period when newspapers were a primary source for news and entertainment, particularly in rural areas, the print materials WNU supplied had an immeasurable impact on millions of Americans and on American culture as whole.
The George A. Joslyn Mansion is also architecturally significant as a rare and exceptional example of the Scottish Baronial style in residential architecture. Designed by a collection of master architects and landscape architects, including John Thorpe, Charles G. Carpenter and John McDonald, the grand Omaha mansion and estate were intended to serve as George A. Joslyn's lasting legacy.
George H. Kelly House, pdf [DO09:140-009] Listed 1983/07/21
The house was built in 1904 by George H. Kelly, secretary/treasurer and later president of the Adams and Kelly Company, manufacturers and distributors of architectural millwork. The company was one of several early Omaha millworks that supplied doors, windows, and architectural woodwork to local builders during the boom periods of the 1880s and early 1900s. The dwelling is a fine example of the Neo-Classical Revival style.
Georgia Row House, pdf [DO09:205-002] Listed 1982/11/12
The Georgia Row House is a fine and well-preserved example of the Queen Anne style. The three-story building was erected in 1890 for J. Herbert Van Closter, president of the Nebraska Mortgage and Loan Company. The structure is named after Georgia Avenue, the previous name of Omaha's South Twenty-ninth Street. The building is a residential type of urban high density housing, which in Nebraska flourished only in Omaha and Lincoln.
Gold Coast Historic District, pdf [DO09] Listed 1997/03/14
The Gold Coast Historic District covers approximately a thirty-block area roughly east to west, 36th to 40th Streets, and north to south, Jones to Burt Streets. This area consists of large mansions and single-family houses of the middle, upper middle, and upper class citizens of Omaha during the district's period of significance, 1880 to 1946. The district also contains some significant multiple-family structures. The district physically demonstrates demographic changes in the area as the economy of Omaha changed and as the city began its suburban movement into West Omaha. The district contains two distinct areas-the Blackstone (originally the West Farnam) and the Cathedral neighborhoods. These two areas evolved around the same time and can both be categorized as the Gold Coast-an area that housed the upper classes of Omaha. Some of the land originally consisted of large mansions situated on oversized lots. Eventually, these large plots of land were further subdivided to create smaller lots with smaller houses. The district also contains a variety of architectural styles and housing types.
Gottlieb Storz House, pdf [DO09:319-003] Listed 1974/08/07
The residence is an excellent example of the stately mansions built in Omaha's Gold Coast area around the turn of the century. Designed in the Jacobethan Revival style by Omaha architects Fisher and Lawrie, the house was constructed in 1905. The well-manicured grounds also include a three-story carriage house and bier stube (gazebo). Gottlieb Storz emigrated from Germany and founded the Storz Brewing Company, establishing the family fortune. His son Arthur C. Storz, Sr., continued to develop the firm and played a major role, locally and nationally, in promoting aviation.
Havens-Page House, pdf (101 Building) [DO09:321-005] Listed 1982/10/07
Located in Omaha, the Havens-Page House was constructed in 1900 and designed in the Second Renaissance Revival style by local architect F. A. Henninger. Thomas C. Havens, who built the house and occupied it until his death in 1908, was president of the Havens-White Coal Company. The house was later purchased by Walter T. Page, manager of the American Smelting and Refining Company.
Henry B. Neef House, pdf [DO09:0245-001] Listed 2010/07/16
During the late 1920s through Chicago's Century of Progress World's Fair in 1933 / 1934, a handful of American architects, engineers and steel companies raced to design an affordable and attractive "all-steel" house that would provide protection against vermin, weather and fire. In Omaha, Henry B. Neef, founder and president of Gate City Iron Works, hired architect Birger Kvenild to design a steel-framed house for his family that would double as a model home demonstrating the use of steel and ornamental iron in residential architecture. In addition to its welded steel frame, this Tudor Revival style house also features unique ornamental iron accoutrements designed and manufactured at Gate City Iron Works, as well as numerous other 1920s innovations including Gyp-lap, Sheetrock, and "Minnequa Triangle Mesh."
Hill Hotel, pdf [DO09:121-011] Listed 1988/04/20
Omaha businessmen John W. and Lem H. Hill began construction of the thirteen-story, steel-frame, masonry building in the fall of 1919. Designed by Omaha architects John and Alan McDonald, the Commercial style structure incorporates Colonial Revival decorative details. The hotel is the most important surviving example of the McDonalds' work in commercial construction.
Holy Family Church, pdf [DO09:130-004] Listed 1986/07/17
Holy Family was the third parish established in Omaha by the Roman Catholic Vicarate of Nebraska. The present church was built in 1883 to serve Irish railroad workers and their families and is an important example of an ecclesiastical building designed as a combined church, school, and rectory. It is rectangular with classrooms in the basement, the church proper on the main floor, and living quarters for the clergy at the rear. Variations of this building type were common in Roman Catholic parishes in Omaha during the late nineteenth century. Holy Family is the earliest and least altered of two known remaining structures of this type in the citv. The church is also the earliest known commission produced by the architect brothers Charles and August Cleves of Omaha, who designed a number of the city's important commercial and ecclesiastical buildings in the early 1880s through 1909.
Hospe Music Warehouse, pdf [DO09:123-073] Listed 1998/07/23
The Anton Hospe Warehouse is a six-story commercial property built in 1919. It is significant for its association with the wholesale jobbing movement in Omaha.
Howard Street Apartment District, pdf [DO09:122] Listed 1996/11/22
The Howard Street Apartment District is a fine local example of an apartment district established during the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries. The buildings within the district were all constructed between 1885 and 1930 and represent a variety of architectural styles. The district contains a variety of multiple-family dwellings including rowhouses, apartments, and apartment courts.
Immaculate Conception Church and School, pdf [DO09:195-002] Listed 1998/05/06
The Immaculate Conception Church and School complex (including church - 1926, school - 1912, auditorium - 1952) is significant for its contribution to the Polish ethnic heritage and settlement of this portion of South Omaha. The school is also significant for its contribution to Omaha's private educational system. The church gains added significance as a representative example of Romanesque Revival architecture.
J. C. Robinson House, pdf [DO12-001] Listed 1980/11/28
Located in Waterloo, the James C. Robinson House, built at the turn of the century in the Neo-Classical Revival style, is an excellent example of the two-story square, a common Nebraska house type. Robinson was the founder-owner of the J. C. Robinson Seed Company, which became one of the best known commercial enterprises in the region.
Jewell Building, pdf [DO09:136-005] Listed 1983/07/21
Constructed in 1923 for black businessman James C. Jewell, Sr., the two-story commercial building has been important to Omaha's musical, social, and black history. The second story housed the Dreamland Ballroom, where nationally prominent jazz musicians, such as Count Basie, Duke Ellington, Dinah Washington, Earl Hines, and many others, performed from the 1920s through the 1960s.
More National Register Sites in Douglas County
How to list a property on the National Register
Return to Nebraska National Register Sites Index Page
Return to National Register information