George Townsend House, pdf [JO00-050] Listed 2006/11/02
Located in rural Johnson County the Townsend House was constructed in 1913. This is a two-and-one-half-story frame house with clapboard siding. Designed in the Neoclassical Revival style the house has a hipped roof with four dormers, and an exterior bricked fireplace. Significant for its architecture the house retains good integrity.
Keim Stone Arch Bridge, pdf [JO00-064] Listed 1992/06/29
As indicated by a plate on the bridge itself, the Keim Stone Arch was built in 1916 by the Keim Cement Company. The Keim Cement Company was one of the primary bridge builders in the county, and appears to have been the only builder of stone bridges and culverts. The Keim Stone Arch Bridge, located near Tecumseh, is a rare, well-preserved example of early twentieth century stone arch bridge construction: the only surviving stone bridge built by this prominent local bridge builder.
Tecumseh Architectural District, pdf [JO07] Listed 1975/06/20
Overlooking the north fork of the Big Nemaha River in southeast Nebraska's Drift Hills region, Tecumseh has been the county seat of Johnson County since the county's organization in 1856-57. The Tecumseh Architectural District is a fine example of a late nineteenth century county seat town in Nebraska. A wide range of important building types and building materials exist in the approximately fifty square blocks of the district. The 1888-89 courthouse, a two-story brick and stone building designed by Lincoln architect William Gray in the County Capitol form, is the pivotal structure. Also included is the Tecumseh Opera House, a two-story brick building constructed in 1880 by W. R. Spicknell and W. H. Hassett.
Johnson County Courthouse, pdf [JO07-001] Listed 1990/01/10
Established in 1857, Johnson County is one of the earliest counties in Nebraska. Tecumseh, which was designated the county seat, was platted in 1856. The present courthouse dates from the 1880s period of prosperity and replaced two earlier courthouses built on the square in the fall of 1857 and in 1868, respectively. In March 1888 Johnson County voters passed a bond issue to finance the new courthouse. Construction began the same year and the Romanesque Revival-style building was completed in 1889.
Tecumseh Opera House, pdf [JO07-053] Listed 1988/09/28
Constructed in 1880, the two-story brick building is located in Tecumseh. The first floor commercial space originally housed a barbershop and restaurant. The opera house occupied the entire second floor. The opera house provided a place where the community gathered for dances, meetings, movies, and other forms of entertainment.
How to list a property on the National Register
Return to Nebraska National Register Sites Index Page
Return to National Register information