Go to the previous page of National Register Sites in Lancaster County
Sites in Urban Lancaster County are listed in alphabetical order using the historic name. For example: for the William H. Tyler House look under "W" for William.
Nebraska State Capitol (NHL) [LC13:D08-001] Listed 1970/10/16 (amendment) (grounds)
The capitol was constructed in 1922-32 and was designed by Bertram Grosvenor Goodhue, one of America's foremost architects. The structure evolved through an elaborate competition that was widely publicized in journals and newspapers. Goodhue's design incorporated a 400-foot tower as the major architectural feature, producing a modernistic skyscraper. The building is rich in decorative art and symbolism and demonstrates the skills of sculptor Lee Lawrie and Dr. Hartley Burr Alexander, a professor of philosophy at the University of Nebraska. The capitol, located in Lincoln, is internationally recognized as a building of outstanding architectural distinction.
The Nebraska Governor's Mansion [LC13:D08-002] Listed 2008/3/12
The Nebraska Governor's Mansion is significant for its association with the history of its construction and the notion that Nebraska and her people deserved a grand building dedicated to the residence of her executive officer, the Governor. Prior to the construction of this building, governors had either received a housing stipend from the legislature that paid for their living expenses, or, after 1899, lived in the governor's mansion that the legislature purchased from its previous owner at 14th and H in Lincoln, near the State Capitol. Nebraskans remain proud of the Governor's Mansion, for the visibility it lends to the separation of our branches of government, for the glorifying of the executive branch, and for its prudent beauty.
Nebraska State Historical Society Building [LC13:D09-004] Listed 2003/08/21
Constructed in 1953 the Nebraska State Historical Society Building is located in Lincoln. The building is significant for its contribution to the social and cultural history of Nebraska through the acquisition, conservation, and interpretation of Nebraska's cultural heritage; and through the administration of public policy related to these activities. The building is also significant as a good example of the Modern Movement style of architecture.
Nebraska Telephone Company Building [LC13:C08-005] Listed 1978/11/16
The three-story commercial building was designed in the Renaissance Revival style in 1894 by Thomas Rogers Kimball of the architectural firm of Walker and Kimball. Occupied in 1896, it was probably the first building erected as a telephone exchange in Lincoln. Constructed to sustain the loads of the telephone equipment and to provide a modern, fire resistant structure, the building is an early product of the communications industry in eastern Nebraska.
Nimrod Ross House [LC13:E08-236] Listed 1999/06/25
The Nimrod Ross House in the Woods Park neighborhood of Lincoln is a small, single-story wood-frame cottage constructed in 1903. It is significant for its association with broad patterns of employment opportunity for the African American community in the city.
Nineteenth Century Terrace Houses of Lincoln [LC13:C08] Listed 1979/10/01
Three buildings, Barr Terrace, Lyman Terrace, and Helmer-Winnett-White Flats, are the only remaining nineteenth-century terrace or row houses in Lincoln. The major period of interest in the terrace house as a building type occurred in the city in the late 1880s and 1890s. Row houses were typically built by individuals seeking a maximum number of rents per land unit.
Old Main, Nebraska Wesleyan University [LC13:F12-001] Listed 1975/05/21
The three-story Richardsonian Romanesque structure was constructed as the main building for the Nebraska Wesleyan University campus in 1887-88. It was designed by architects Gibbs and Parker of Kansas City. "Old Main" is a campus landmark, reflecting the early history of the Lincoln-based university.
Old University Library (Architecture Hall) [LC13:C09-007] Listed 1975/08/06
The Old University Library, constructed 1891-95, is the oldest existing building on the University of Nebraska-Lincoln's downtown campus. Designed by the architectural firm of Mendelssohn, Fisher and Lawrie of Omaha, the two-and-one-half-story brick building incorporates Richardsonian Romanesque styling in its design. The library has been adapted to a variety of educational functions. It is currently occupied by the College of Architecture.
Oliver J. and Anna Burckhardt House [LC13:C06-340] Listed 1999/06/25
Built in 1903, the Oliver J. and Anna Burckhardt House in the Near South neighborhood of Lincoln is a small, one and one-half story, wood-frame Prairie Box style residence. It was the home of two of Lincoln's most influential and beloved African American residents from 1903 to 1945. The house is regarded as a rare property type in Lincoln.
Palisade and Regent Apartments [LC13:D07-830] Listed 199803/05
The Palisade and Regent Apartments are significant as representative examples of large and ornate apartments built at the end of Lincoln's second historic apartment "boom," which occurred during the 1920s. They are also significant for their use of a richly textured, polychromatic terra cotta block, which was a rare building material in Lincoln, used only in 1928 and 1929, which corresponds with their construction dates.
Park Hill [LC13:F06-043] Listed 2010/09/03
Also known as the Young-Faulkner House, Park Hill is Lincoln, Nebraska's best example of a Colonial Revival style mansion on an intact suburban-style property. Constructed in 1896 and extensively remodeled in 1899 after it was purchased by Dr. Albert O. Faulkner, the residence features a balanced façade, columned porches, bracketed eaves and unified roofline. Also contributing to the property are a garage and tree-lined driveway with a bridge that once carried visitors from South Street to the grand north entrance of Park Hill.
Phi Delta Theta Fraternity House [LC13:D09-511] Listed 1986/05/28
Located in the University of Nebraska-Lincoln environs, the three-story Art Deco building is sheathed in Kansas limestone. Martin I. Aitken designed the chapter house in 1937. A Lincoln native who graduated from the University of Nebraska and from Yale School of Architecture, Aitken established an architectural practice in Lincoln around 1937. In later years he was affiliated with the firm Aitken, Hazen, Hoffman, and Miller.
Phi Kappa Tau Fraternity House [LC13:F12-296] Listed 2005/11/25
The Phi Kappa Tau Fraternity House of Nebraska Wesleyan University in Lincoln is a two and one-half story, red brick Period Revival structure designed by architects Harry Meginnis and Edward G. Schaumberg, with Frank Robey serving as contractor. The Greek system was formally recognized at Nebraska Wesleyan in 1920, and the Phi Kappa Tau Fraternity House was constructed in 1928. While most Greek societies were short-lived or experienced difficulty acquiring a permanent residence, Phi Kappa Tau persevered and managed to remain in their original chapter house. The Phi Kappa Tau Fraternity House is the only original Greek chapter house at Nebraska Wesleyan University that retains historic integrity.
President and Ambassador Apartments [LC13:C08-026] Listed 1993/12/10
The President and Ambassador Apartments, located in Lincoln, are a pair of five-story, flat-roofed, apartment buildings. They were constructed in 1928-29 of reinforced concrete with red brick veneer and limestone trim. They are outstanding examples of the final stage of historic apartment construction in Lincoln. They are very prominently sited adjacent to the State Capitol and possess a high degree of integrity.
Quinn Chapel African Methodist Episcopal Church and Parsonage [LC13:C07-152] Listed 1999/06/25
The Quinn Chapel African Methodist Episcopal Church and its parsonage, located in Lincoln, have been listed on the National Register of Historic Places since 1986 as contributing properties within the South Bottoms Historic District. This individual listing establishes the further significance of the church and parsonage for their association with African American ethnic history in the city, as the continuing home of the first African American church established in Lincoln, and for the church's broad-based contribution to its community.
R. O. Phillips House (The Castle) [LC13:D07-042] Listed 1979/11/29
The R.O. Phillips House, built in 1889-1890, is one of Nebraska's finest examples of the Richardson Romanesque architectural style. This style is characterized by heavy stone massing, an asymmetrical façade, irregular rooflines that commonly include a tower, and arches springing from heavy piers. All are displayed prominently on the R.O. Phillips house. The interior is finished in wood or ceramic tile in various Victorian motifs and includes fifteen fireplaces.
R.O. Stake House [LC13:E08-416] Listed 2005/04/27
Located in Lincoln, the house is a one-and one-half-story American Bungalow style residence. It was built in 1919 by contractor R.O. Stake for his own family. The house is significant as one of a small group of residential projects of the master Lincoln architect George Berlinghof and an especially rare example of his work in the American Bungalow style.
Rock Island Depot [LC13:D09-001] Listed 1971/09/03
The Lincoln depot is one of Nebraska's finest remaining nineteenth century railroad depots and an excellent example of the Chateauesque style. Few exterior alterations have occurred since the depot's construction in 1892-93. The building has been adapted for various commercial uses in recent years.
Rose Kirkwood Brothel, pdf [LC13:C08-255] Listed 2012/08/28
The existence of a red-light district of Lincoln is one that is often ignored, with only minimal physical remnants remaining, the Rose Kirkwood Brothel being the key physical remnant. When the Peoples City Mission opened in 1910, Lincoln's most flagrant brothel transformed into a place of charity, sealing the demise of Lincoln's red-light district. As a brothel, the building embodies the illicit political and social values of the early 1900's, while as the Peoples City Mission, it symbolizes Lincoln's effort to promote social welfare by serving the poor and immigrant community. As one building serving both ends of the moral spectrum-vice and charity-the Rose Kirkwood Brothel building represents a key transformation in Lincoln's social history.
Royer-Williams House [LC13:D09-383] Listed 1982/06/14
Constructed in the late 1880s in Lincoln, the Royer-Williams House is a fine product of the Queen Anne style. The frame dwelling was originally built by Henry Royer, a carpenter, and later used as a residence by Hattie Plum Williams, a University of Nebraska scholar whose pioneering work in ethnic studies related to the Germans from Russia.
Ryons-Alexander House [LC13:D05-002] Listed 1982/07/08
The house, built in 1908, is important as the residence of Dr. Hartley Burr Alexander, philosophy professor of the University of Nebraska. Dr. Alexander's contributions in the fields of philosophy, architecture, and anthropology are nationally and internationally recognized, while his contributions in literature and the performing arts were widely acclaimed. The builder of the house, William B. Ryons, was a long-time vice-president of the First National Bank in Lincoln and son of Irish-born Joseph L. Ryons, for whom Lincoln's Ryons Addition and Ryons Street were named.
St. Charles Apartments [LC13:F12-225] Listed 1985/09/12
When St. Charles Apartments were built in 1923-24, University Place, Nebraska, was an incorporated town with a population of about 5,000. Universitv Place was annexed by Lincoln in 1926. St. Charles was designed to accommodate sixteen dwelling units and was the first brick apartment house built in University Place and the only one erected before annexation. The building, which incorporates Neo-Classical Revival motifs, was constructed by William Henry Seng, a major contractor in the University Place area during the 1920s and 1930s.
Scottish Rite Temple [LC13:D08-013] Listed 1986/12/01
Lincoln's Scottish Rite Temple is a reinforced concrete, Neo-Classical Revival style building sheathed in Indiana limestone. The temple's most prominent feature is a colossal order of ten Roman Doric columns on the front facade. By 1916 when the temple was constructed, there were seventeen Masonic organizations in the city. On April 6, 1916, Lincoln's Delta Lodge of Perfection No. 4 voted to build a new Scottish Rite Temple. The building was designed by Ellery L. Davis, Lincoln's leading architect in the first half of the twentieth century.
South Bottoms Historic District [LC13:C07] Listed 1986/07/17
The South Bottoms Historic District, a predominantly residential area, with a park, school, churches, commercial buildings, and agricultural outbuildings, is located on the flood plain of Salt Creek along Lincoln's western edge. Built and occupied almost exclusively by Germans from Russia who emigrated to this area from the Volga River region, the district occupies approximately seventy-four square blocks and comprises over 1,000 properties. The largest and probably the most distinct urban ethnic neighborhood in the state, the South Bottoms exemplifies the importance of immigrants in settling the cities and towns of the Great Plains. With the predominant Volga-German culture of the neighborhood, the district portrays the architectural character of an Old World village.
State Arsenal (Nebraska National Guard Arsenal Building) [LC13:D11-017] Listed 1981/09/17
The State Arsenal, built in 1913, was the first permanent facility provided by the Nebraska legislature for support of the Nebraska National Guard, successor to the Nebraska Volunteer Militia. The two-story, rectangular, concrete and brick building was used by the guard as a warehouse until 1963, when it was transferred to the state fair board. Today the building, located in Lincoln, serves as a museum.
The Stuart Building [LC13:C09-003] Listed 2003/12/23
The Stuart Building is located in downtown Lincoln. This architecturally significant building was designed in a hybrid Art Deco-Gothic Revival style by the leading architectural firm of the period, Davis and Wilson. Completed in 1929 the Stuart was one of Lincoln's most prestigious multipurpose office buildings of its time.
Temple of Congregation B'Nai Jeshuran [LC13:D06-004] Listed 1982/06/25
Located in Lincoln the Temple exemplifies the early twentieth century eclectic architecture of temple building types and incorporates Byzantine and Moorish design elements in its ornamentation and general massing. The large brick structure, designed by Lincoln architects Davis and Wilson and built in 1923-24, features a prominent central octagonally-shaped dome that rises above the roof line. It continues in use as a synagogue.
Terminal Building [LC13:C08-298] Listed 1986/12/29
The ten-story reinforced concrete office building is sheathed in white-glazed terra-cotta on the principal facades above the storefront level, while the remaining facades are faced with brick. The building was planned in 1915 and erected in 1916 as headquarters for the Lincoln Traction Company. The Lincoln Traction Company, formed in 1897 as a reorganization of the Lincoln Street Railway Company, was the major street railway company in the city from 1909 until the end of streetcar service in 1943. Designed by architect Paul V. Hyland of Chicago, the Terminal Building is the city's best example of a Commercial style office building.
Thomas P. Kennard House (Nebraska Statehood Memorial) [LC13:D08-004] Listed 1969/04/16
The Italianate brick house was built in 1869 as the residence of Secretary of State Thomas P. Kennard, one of three commissioners who selected Lincoln as the state capital. In 1965 the state legislature designated the Kennard House, located in Lincoln, as the "Nebraska Statehood Memorial" and directed the Nebraska State Historical Society to restore it.
Tifereth Israel Synagogue [LC13:D08-264] Listed 1985/05/09
The former Tifereth Israel Synagogue is a fine example of Neo-Classicism as used in small-scaled synagogue architecture in the early twentieth century. Located in Lincoln the building is easily recognizable as a Jewish house of worship by the prominent Star of David on the front facade. The Tifereth Israel Synagogue was dedicated on May 25, 1913, and served the Orthodox Jewish congregation until the late 1950s when a new synagogue was built.
Trago T. McWilliams House [LC13:E11-090] Listed 1999/06/25
Constructed in 1890 the Trago T. McWilliams House in the Clinton neighborhood of Lincoln is a small, single-story wood-frame cottage. It is significant for its association with Trago T. McWilliams, whose work as an advocate for the betterment of Lincoln's African American community and as a churchman was recognized by governors, mayors, the religious community, and the broad Lincoln community.
University Place Historic Residential District [LC13: F11, F12] Listed 2003/02/07
The University Place Historic District is significant as an excellent (and best surviving) example of the residential component of the "college-town" phenomenon, which occurred at six locations on the outskirts of Lincoln and played a crucial role in the growth and development of the city. The area displays a range of residential styles including Prairie Boxes, Bungalows, and a few modest Period Revival style properties spanning the period from c.1890 to 1949.
U.S. Post Office and Courthouse (City Hall) [LC13:C09-001] Listed 1969/10/15
The building was constructed in 1874-79 incorporating Gothic Revival and French Second Empire style elements in its design. Originally designed by Alfred Mullett, supervising architect of the United States Treasury, the building was redesigned by William Potter, who replaced Mullett in 1875. The limestone structure is one of downtown Lincoln's oldest buildings and perhaps its finest remaining example of nineteenth century architecture. Originally built as Lincoln's United States Post Office and Courthouse, the building later served as the City Hall. In 1978 restoration began, and the building is now being used by civic groups.
Veith Building [LC13:C09-005] Listed 1980/09/18
The Veith Building is one of the oldest commercial buildings in Lincoln and is an outstanding example of late nineteenth century commercial architecture. Constructed in 1884 as a grocery by the Veith family, it features excellent cast iron and pressed metal detailing.
W. F. Hitchcock House [LC13:E05-002] Listed 2002/12/05
Located in Lincoln the W. F. Hitchcock House is a two-and-one-half story Colonial Revival style residence constructed in 1922. Local architect Jesse Boaz Miller designed this symmetrical, stucco house, which features a central block with a gabled roof, and flat-roofed side wings. In addition, there is a matching carriage house and extensive early landscaping, that includes a large limestone "alcove."
Whitehall (Olive White House) [LC13:G12-011] Listed 1982/10/29
The Neo-Classical Revival style house was built for Mrs. Olive White, widow of C. C. White, owner of the Crete Mills from 1888 to 1895. Mr. White was a member of the Nebraska Wesleyan University's Board of Trustees for many years and an avid supporter of the institution. After her husband's death, Mrs. White moved to Lincoln, where she built the residence in 1910 near the Wesleyan University campus. Since 1926 the house has been used by the state of Nebraska as a home for children.
William H. Ferguson House [LC13:D08-003] Listed 1972/11/29
Built in 1909-11, the house is an excellent example of the Renaissance Revival style. It was designed by Cleveland architects Searles, Hirsh, and Gavin. William Henry Ferguson was a Lincoln capitalist and entrepreneur, probably best known as a successful grain merchant.
William H. Tyler House [LC13:C07-001] Listed 1978/04/06
The house was built in 1891 for William Tyler, who established the W. H. Tyler Stone Company in Lincoln. Tyler built the dwelling as a showplace to demonstrate various residential uses of stone. James Tyler, a talented architect and brother of William, designed the brick and sandstone dwelling according to the formal characteristics of a typical Queen Anne dwelling, with Richardsonian Romanesque motifs.
William Jennings Bryan House (Fairview; NHL) [LC13:F06-001] Listed 1966/10/15
For fifteen years, Fairview was the Lincoln home of William Jennings Bryan, a nationally known political leader and orator. Bryan held lawn parties, public receptions and political rallies at Fairview. Designed by Lincoln architect Artemus Roberts, and built in 1902-3, the house is a fine example of the Queen Anne style in transition and incorporates Neo-Classical Revival elements in its design.
Woods Brothers Building [LC13:C08-006] Listed 1980/09/18
The Woods Brothers Companies, which were formed in 1889 in Lincoln by Mark, George, and Frank Woods, played a major role in the real estate development of the city. Many of the first Lincoln neighborhoods, including Lincolnshire, were platted, developed, and sold by the Woods Brothers Companies. Designed in 1914 by the Woods Brothers Construction Company and completed in 1916, the building incorporates Neo-Classical Revival elements. It was the home office of the Woods Brothers Companies until 1939.
Woods House [LC13:D05-470] Listed 1995/06/30
The Frank and Nelle Woods House, constructed in 1915-16, is a uniquely large and well preserved example of the Italian Renaissance Revival-style in Lincoln. Designed by Chicago architect Paul V. Hyland, the house is situated on a very large urban lot, the most prominent setting in the innovative Woodscrest Addition. It retains a high degree of interior and exterior integrity, as well as significant features of its designed landscape.
Woodshire Residential Historic District [LC13:] Listed 2011/03/29
Located in south central Lincoln, and developed with 131 single-family residences, the Woodsshire Residential Historic District is a 40-acre subdivision with an innovative design, highly responsive to its topography. Nebraska's first academically trained landscape architect, Ernst Herminghaus, designed Woodsshire's landscape plan, promoted the development of the area, and resided in it for a decade. In addition to Herminghaus's design, many of the district's Period Revival style homes showcase the work of several of Lincoln's leading architects.
Wyuka Cemetery [LC13:E09-001] Listed 1982/07/19
The cemetery is important to the history of landscape design as one of the few, and the oldest, examples of a "rural" or "park" design cemetery in Nebraska. It was established in 1869 by the Nebraska legislature as a state cemetery for the infant city of Lincoln.
Yates House [LC13:D07-001] Listed 1999/09/17
Built in 1891 from a design by architect Ferdinand C. Fiske, theYates House is prominently located on a large corner lot in Lincoln. The house is a two and one-half story frame Late Victorian/ Queen Anne residence with Eastlake design influence. The house retains a high degree of integrity in its elaborate detailing, massing, and extensive ornate porches.
Young Women's Christian Association Building (YWCA Building) [LC13:D08-018] Listed 1984/06/21
The Young Women's Christian Association of Lincoln was organized in 1886, incorporated under Nebraska law in 1893, and chartered as a member of the YWCA National Board in 1897. The Georgian Revival building was completed in 1932 on the site of the original facility. The three-story, H-shaped building is brick with limestone trim and was designed by the Lincoln architectural firm of Meginnis and Schaumberg.
Previous page of National Register Sites in Lancaster County
How to list a property on the National Register
Return to Nebraska National Register Sites Index Page
Return to National Register information