More National Register Sites in Lancaster County
Schrader Archeological Site [25-LC-01] Listed 2004/07/28
Situated on a terrace of Salt Creek near Lincoln, the Schrader Site is a late prehistoric community. Pottery vessels and other artifacts retrieved from three earthlodge ruins attribute the site to the Smoky Hill Phase (A.D.950-1350), a cultural manifestation in eastern Kansas and southeast Nebraska.
Herter Farmstead [LC00] Listed 2000/07/24 (amendment)
The Herter Farmstead is located near Lincoln. Its operations began in 1876. The farmstead is a rare and well-preserved collection of agricultural buildings that reflect farming in Nebraska in the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries. The Herter House is a good example of a vernacular interpretation of the Queen Anne, free classical style.
Peter Peterson Farmstead [LC00-021] Listed 1980/02/11
The farmstead, located on Salt Creek uplands in northeastern Lancaster County, is a well-preserved and unique example of rural architecture in Nebraska. The late nineteenth century farmhouse is a distinctive example of the Queen Anne style and features a prominent tower. The large barn features two prominent octagonal cupolas. Natives of Sweden, Peter and Christina Peterson were active in the agricultural advancement of the local Swedish community.
Retzlaff Farmstead (Stevens Creek Stock Farm) [LC00-022] Listed 1979/05/31
Located in the picturesque Stevens Creek valley near Lincoln, the farmstead includes nineteen separate structures arranged in a courtyard fashion. The original homestead was acquired in 1858 by Charles Retzlaff, a native of Germany, and expanded in 1861 and 1873. The farm operation has grown and prospered through four generations of the Retzlaff family. Major buildings of the farmstead include the Charles Retzlaff house, a one-and-one-half-story limestone structure built in 1867; and the horse barn, an impressive structure dating from 1901.
Nine-Mile Prairie [LC00-075] Listed 1986/07/30
Nine-Mile Prairie, consisting of 228 acres of native prairie, is located northwest of Lincoln. The prairie was so named in the 1930s because of its location exactly nine miles from the Lincoln City Square. It was a principal site for the pioneering studies of plant ecology by Dr. John E. Weaver of the University of Nebraska. Weaver, the "founding father of modern plant ecology," began his study of the prairie in 1917. In the 1920s the prairie was a site for University of Nebraska student research projects under Dr. Weaver's direction. The prairie continues as a research and educational site for students and nature study and conservation groups.
Ehlers Round Barn [LC00-035] Listed 1995/06/30
The Ehlers Round Barn is a well-preserved example of a true round barn. Constructed over a two-year period from 1922 to 1924, the Ehlers barn is one of the few extant examples of a true round barn in the state.
Pioneers Park [LC00-045] Listed 1993/06/17
Pioneers Park, located just outside Lincoln, is significant for its association with local and federal unemployment relief programs of the 1930s such as the Works Progress Administration, the National Youth Administration, and the Civil Works Administration. These programs were established during the Great Depression to provide employment in public works of lasting value. Additionally, the park benefited from local unemployment relief programs, implemented in the late 1920s. The park is also an excellent example of a large scale park with distinctive designed features such as allees, vistas, winding roads, path systems, and sculptural focal points. Work on the park began in 1928 with the final historically significant components of the original plan being implemented in 1939.
Olive Branch Bridge [LC00-103] Listed 1992/06/29
Though never as popular as the pony truss, the truss-leg bedstead was a standard bridge type marketed in the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries. The structure acted as a rigid frame, with its upright end posts extended below the truss to form the supports. This was both the strength and weakness of the bedstead truss. The combined super-and substructure reduced costs somewhat, but bedsteads were prey to flood and collision damage and suffered from inherent structural weakness relating to compression stress in the lower chords. As a result, although the bedstead enjoyed a brief popularity in Nebraska around the turn of the century, all but a few have been demolished. Located near Sprague the Olive Branch Bridge was constructed in 1897 and is distinguished as the oldest of the remaining bedsteads in Nebraska.
William H. Charlton House [LC00-127] Listed 1997/01/25
The Charlton house, constructed ca. 1872 is significant as a very early, well-documented, and well-preserved work of a pioneer Lincoln architect, Artemas Roberts. He was active in Lincoln from 1870 until about 1904, and occasionally returned to the city to carry out projects through the 1910s. Among the major projects of this local master were the original Lincoln High School (1872), First Congregational Church (1883), the A. J. Sawyer House (1887), the Herpolsheimer Department Store (1880s), and Fairview (the W. J. Bryan home, 1902). Of Roberts' many Lincoln-area buildings, the only extant structures are a small number of houses, of which Fairview is the most prominent, and the Charlton house, by far the earliest. The house, located near Roca, is the clearest demonstration of his training, skill, and style at the very beginning of his career in Lancaster County.
Nebraska City to Fort Kearny Cutoff Ruts at Spring Creek Prairie, pdf [LC00-128] Listed 2002/07/11
Located in rural Lancaster County the trail ruts are significant to Nebraska's history for their association with the Oregon Trail. From about 1840 through 1866, when the Union Pacific Railroad reached Fort Kearny, the Oregon Trail was the most important transportation corridor for the westward movement of people and supplies. Government freighting contractors and emigrants continually looked for shorter and faster routes from the Missouri River to the Oregon Trail. One such route was the Nebraska City to Fort Kearny Cutoff. These trail ruts have additional significance because they reveal the manner of descent of a wagon train from a ridge. The several sets of ruts along the descent of the ridge demonstrate the need for wagons to leave their line for safety reasons and in preparation for crossing the spring.
Sites in Urban Lancaster County are listed in alphabetical order using the historic name. For example: for the William H. Tyler House look under "W" for William.
Agricultural Hall [LC13:] Listed 2010/12/10
Agriculture Hall, now the Industrial Arts Building in Lincoln, is a distinctively shaped, trapezoidal building on the south edge of the former State Fairgrounds. Integral to the entire structure is the post-and-truss system of the interior open space, which features the same trapezoidal shape as the building. Additionally, the building represents facility growth during the State Fair's expansion period. The State Fair brought entertainment opportunities, educational enrichment, and the latest in agricultural technology to the lives of thousands of Nebraskans on an annual basis.
Albert Watkins House [LC13:C07-791] Listed 1989/04/03
The Watkins house, built in 1887, is significant as the residence of Albert Watkins, an early Nebraska historian who wrote and edited one of the first scholarly histories of the state. He occupied the house for the final thirty-six of his forty-one years in Lincoln. No other property exists that was as directly associated with Watkins, especially during the entire span during which he produced the Illustrated History of Nebraska. Furthermore, no other property as clearly associated with an early historian of Nebraska appears to exist.
Antelope Grocery [LC13:D08-364] Listed 1988/03/17
Built in 1922 as a mixed use (commercial and apartment) building, the two-story brick and stucco structure incorporates architectural elements common to Period houses. The Lincoln architectural firm of Fiske and Meginnis designed the building to be compatible with the surrounding Lincoln residential neighborhood.
Arthur C. Ziemer House [LC13:D06-002] Listed 1977/11/23
The house, built in 1909-10 for Arthur C. Ziemer, is an excellent example of the Shingle style. The dwelling's romantic external appearance provides a striking contrast with the use of almost totally classical motifs for the interior. Mr. Ziemer was an early resident of Lincoln, working briefly as an interior designer and later becoming a practitioner of Christian Science.
Beatrice Creamery Company (Lincoln Plant) [LC13:C8-123, LC13:C8-133] Listed 2012/03/12
Also known as the Meadow Gold Block, the Beatrice Creamery Company's Lincoln Plant began as a local ice business, but soon burgeoned into a successful local creamery operation. The complex exemplifies the company's meteoric expansion in the early 20th century based on innovations in transportation and collection of raw material, processing, packaging, and marketing. The large complex, just one of Beatrice's several major creameries in the region, is associated with the company's early growth and on-going stake in the city that launched it.
Beattie/Miles House [LC13:G11-156] Listed 1990/12/04
The Beattie/Miles House is significant in the area of architecture as the finest extant example of a Queen Anne-style residence in the community that was known as Bethany Heights (now part of Lincoln). This house is also significant for its important association with the founding of Nebraska Christian University and settlement of Bethany Heights. The Beattie/Miles house is the last remaining building that was associated with the college and retains its historical integrity.
Boulevards Historic District, pdf [LC13] Listed 2008/12/19
This large residential district contains 1,235 contributing resources, including houses, nine brick streets, a bridge and a handful of historic religious and public buildings. Also significant are the landscape features, many of which were designed by famed landscape architect Jens Jensen and Ernst Herminghaus, Nebraska's first academically trained professional in this field.
In addition to landscape architecture, the Boulevards Historic District is significant as a collection of high-style and vernacular homes unsurpassed in Lincoln, with a preponderance of brick and stone Period Revivals. The winding boulevards and streets platted by the Woods Brothers in 1909 were the first to deviate from Lincoln's original grid pattern creating a distinctive neighborhood, and were influential in city planning for years to come.
Brownbilt Residential Historic District, pdf [LC13:E07-395, LC13:E07-402, LC13:E07-416, LC13:E07-418 through 595, LC13:E07-597 through 603] Listed 2012/08/29
Brownbilt Residential Historic District in central Lincoln is a 47-acre neighborhood platted in several subdivisions between 1925 and 1946. The District's significance derives from its very strong concentration of residences financed by the newly created Federal Housing Administration (FHA). FHA was the New Deal's response to a near-cessation of housing construction during the Great Depression. Of note was FHA's explicit support of racial segregation in its lending policies, resulting in Brownbilt District's racially restrictive covenants. Brownbilt District is also locally significant as an exemplary collection of smaller residences of the 1930s and '40s, with a large majority constructed by a single contractor, Howard A. Brown.
Burr Block (Security Mutual Life Building) [LC13:C09-002] Listed 1979/05/18
The Security Mutual Life Building, a ten-story skyscraper, is a unique product of early twentieth century businesses on 0 Street, Lincoln's main thoroughfare. Occupying the former site of the Burr Block, the structure was substantially rebuilt and transformed into the present Security Mutual Life Building in 1916. For over four decades the building housed offices for the Security Mutual Life Insurance Company. It is now known as Centerstone and houses commercial and rental residential space.
C.B.&Q. Locomotive No. 710 [LC13:C09-149] Listed 1997/06/20
The Chicago, Burlington, & Quincy Steam locomotive No. 710 is a 4-6-0 "Tenwheeler" steam locomotive built in Havelock (now part of Lincoln) in 1901 and rebuilt in Havelock in 1928. The seventy-eight-ton coal-burning locomotive and its eighteen-ton tender were built for mainline passenger service and were rebuilt in 1928 for branchline freight and passenger work.
Christian Record Building [LC13:F03-113] Listed 1986/12/01
The Christian Record Building is located in the College View neighborhood of Lincoln, near the campus of Union College. The two-story brick and limestone structure, erected in 1936, displays elements of the Art Deco style. It was designed and built by local contractor, Felix A. Lorenz, a graduate of Union College. The Christian Record Association was founded in 1899 in Battle Creek, Michigan, with support from the Seventh-Day Adventist General Conference. In 1900 the association began publishing The Christian Record, the oldest continuously published Braille periodical in the United States. The association later relocated in Lincoln. The Christian Record Building is the only remaining historic structure associated with the organization.
College View Public Library [LC13:F03-282] Listed 1984/06/28
The building reflects the state of the art in design and use for library buildings erected in smaller communities during the first two decades of the twentieth century. Designed in a simplified Neo-Classical Revival style, the library was constructed in 1914 in the town of College View (now a neighborhood in southeast Lincoln) with funds from an Andrew Carnegie grant.
Eddy-Taylor House [LC13:D09-356] Listed 1983/07/21
Located in Lincoln, the house is a fine product of the Queen Anne style executed in brick. Constructed about 1891 by a local developer, Ambrose Eddy, the house was sold in 1902 to William George Langworthy Taylor, a distinguished member of the University of Nebraska faculty.
Edgar A. Burnett House [LC13:E11-014] Listed 2006/07/12
The Edgar A. Burnett House in Lincoln, is a two-and-one-half-story, rectangular building constructed in 1904 for University of Nebraska Associated Dean of Agriculture Edgar A. Burnett, who later would become Chancellor of the University. The wood-frame structure, designed by the locally prominent architecture firm of Fiske and Dieman, is an American Foursquare design with Neo-Classical ornamental details. The house retains a high degree of interior and exterior integrity.
Federal Trust Building [LC13: C08-007] Listed 2002/04/25
Constructed in 1926-1927 this twelve-story office building is located in Lincoln. The building is a reinforced concrete structure designed in the Gothic Revival style. Its primary facades are faced in light buff-colored brick with limestone and terra cotta trim, while the secondary sides are sheathed mainly in red-orange brick.
First National Bank Building [LC13:C08-299] Listed 1998/03/05
The First National Bank Building, constructed in 1910-11, is significant for its association with the First National Bank, a financial institution that was influential in the development of the city of Lincoln. The building also has architectural significance as a representative example constructed in the Commercial-style.
First State Bank of Bethany [LC13:G11-198] Listed 1986/07/24
The former bank, built about 1914 in the town of Bethany (now a neighborhood in northeast Lincoln), is a one-story brick building with simple Neo-Classical Revival trim. It is the most substantial commercial building remaining from the period before Bethany's annexation by Lincoln in 1926. The bank was founded in 1904 with C. W. Fuller, a Bethany grain elevator owner, as president. The bank failed in 1930. The building has since served various educational and commercial purposes.
Frank M. Spalding House [LC13:D05-463] Listed 1999/03/25
The Frank M. Spalding House is a two and one-half story Mission Style residence in Lincoln. It was constructed in 1908-10 as the first residence in the Sheridan Place addition. The house is an important work of master architect Ferdinand C. Fiske and is the best representative example of Mission Style architecture in the city. It retains lavish original interior finishes in wood and tile, and its exterior stone construction is very distinctive.
Gillen House [LC13:D06-714] Listed 1998/0/305
The Frank and Emma Gillen House is a two-and-one-half story, period revival-style, single family residence located in Lincoln. The brick and stucco veneered house was originally constructed in 1903-04, then substantially remodeled to its present appearance in 1918-19. A garage was constructed as part of the 1918-19 remodeling. The interior and exterior of the house remain almost entirely intact.
Gold and Company Store Building (Gold-Brandeis Building) [LC13:C08-301] Listed 1982/10/19
William Gold, a native of New York, established "The Peoples' Store," a modest retail business in 1902. The firm was incorporated in 1915 with William Gold as president and son Nathan as vice-president and was later renamed "Gold and Company." The building is a landmark in Lincoln's downtown business area. The oldest section, erected in 1924, is six stories high and displays Gothic Revival detailing. Additions were made in 1929, 1947, and 1951, and illustrate the phenomenal growth experienced by the store. In 1964 Gold and Company merged with Omaha's J. L. Brandeis and Sons, and the business was named "Brandeis, Gold's Division" until 1980 when the store was closed. The building has been rehabilitated for retail and office space.
Government Square [LC13:C09-001,110,125] Listed 2004/04/15
Government Square is a city block located near the west edge of downtown Lincoln. From the 1870s to 1960s it was the seat of the federal government in Nebraska's capital city; from 1905-1969 it also held Lincoln's City Hall. Three historic buildings occupy the block. Oldest is the hybrid Second Empire/High Victorian Gothic style U.S. Post Office and Courthouse, built 1874-79 on the south half of the block. The three-story limestone structure was adapted in 1907 and used until 1969 as Lincoln's City Hall (also known as Old City Hall). That building was supplanted by the second U.S. Post Office and Courthouse on the north half of the block, built in three campaigns (1904-06; 1915-16; 1939-41). Known as the Old Federal building, it is a four-story, C-shaped limestone building, designed in the Beaux Arts Neoclassical style by the Supervising Architect of the U.S. Treasury. The third and smallest building on the block is a small, limestone, Neo-Classical revival style Municipal Comfort Station, built on the west side of the south half in 1924 from designs by Lincoln architect Fritz Craig.
Greek Row Historic District [LC13:D09] Listed 1997/06/25
The "Greek Row" of the University of Nebraska-Lincoln is significant in the areas of education and of community planning and development. These houses were not just residences, but an environment that promoted character and social position for many young college students. The clustering of the houses was the result of many factors, which include the expansion of the city campus due to the doubling of enrollment, the adoption of the Seymour Plan, and the university's inability to provide student dormitories.
Guy A. Brown House [LC13:D08-490] Listed 1998/03/05
Constructed ca. 1874, the Guy Brown House is a two-story vernacular wood frame Italianate-style residence. It stands as a rare remnant of Lincoln's original residential development and is one of the first generation homes in the city. It is an illuminating example of Italianate house design with considerable historic integrity. The house was converted into a duplex in the 1930s. The modifications of the 1930s are significant in their own right, without obscuring the original design.
Harris House [LC13:D08-009] Listed 1982/09/02
The house, located in Lincoln, is a fine example of the Neo-Classical Revival style. The large frame dwelling was built in 1901-3 for Sarah F. Harris, widow of George Harris, who served as a land commissioner for the Burlington and Missouri Railroad. He was responsible for inducing immigrants to purchase land along the Burlington Railroad in Nebraska. John F. Harris, a son, donated the land that became "Pioneers Park" in honor of his parents in 1928.
Hayward School [LC13:C10-110] Listed 1985/08/23
Hayward School was built in 1903-4, with additions completed in 1913 and 1925. Each building phase displays a distinct style of public school architecture. The original school is at the center of the present structure and was designed by architect James H. Craddock, with Late Renaissance Revival detailing. The two additions display Neo-Classical and Georgian Revival elements and are the work of the Lincoln architectural firms of Davis and Berlinghof, and Fiske, Meginnis, and Schaumberg respectively. Named for U.S. Senator Monroe L. Hayward, the school served the German Russian community in the North Bottoms area of Lincoln. It operated a special program from November to May when the "beet field children" returned from working in the sugar beet fields of western Nebraska.
Hotel Capital (YMCA Building) [LC13:C09-109] Listed 1983/12/05
The Hotel Capital opened on May 19, 1926, and provided hotel accommodations in downtown Lincoln for more than four decades. In 1962 Bennett S. Martin purchased the hotel and donated it to the Lincoln YMCA. The eleven-story brick building is an outstanding product of the Georgian Revival style and is probably the best remaining example of an early twentieth century hotel building in Lincoln's central business district. The upper floors of the building have been rehabilitated as rental residential units; lower levels still house the YMCA offices.
James D. Calhoun House [LC13: C06-304] Listed 2002/04/26
This two-and-one-half-story asymmetrical frame house built in the Queen Anne style is located in Lincoln. Constructed in 1889-1890 it closely follows a published "pattern book" design. The house has a steeply pitched cross-gable roof with decorative shingling in each of the gable ends.
Jasper Newton Bell House [LC13:D10-120] Listed 1984/06/21
Located in Lincoln's near northeast suburb, the Jasper Newton Bell House is one of the most notable dwellings in the Clinton and Malone neighborhoods. The one-and-one-half-story frame house is a fine, simplified Renaissance Revival rendition of the popular "square" or "cubic" type house, one of Nebraska's most common house types. The house probably was built by its owner, Jasper Newton Bell, a carpenter.
John H. and Christina Yost House [LC13: D06-165] Listed 2002/04/26
Located in Lincoln the Yost House was built in 1912. The two-and-one-half-story Italian Renaissance Revival style residence is constructed of red brick, and features a red til/e hipped roof with broad eaves and heavy brackets.
John M. Thayer House [LC13:D06-1177] Listed 200212/05
Located in Lincoln the John M. Thayer House was constructed about 1887. The two-and-one-half story Queen Anne style residence was built for Nebraska Governor John Thayer. Except for the years 1893-1897, Mr. Thayer resided in the house from 1889 until his death in 1906.
Kiesselbach House [LC13:E11-013] Listed 1994/07/01
The Kiesselbach House, constructed in Lincoln in 1913, is significant for its association with Dr. Theodore Alexander Kiesselbach, a pioneering Nebraska researcher in corn and other crops. Among other accomplishments, he developed the corn hybrids that significantly increased farm production and income throughout the state. No other historic property is as clearly or closely associated with Kiesslbach and his research.
Lancaster Block [LC13:G14-001] Listed 1989/04/12
The Lancaster Block, constructed ca. 1890, is significant for its role in the early development of the city of Havelock. It was directly associated with the initial settlement of the town, built by the land development company which platted Havelock as the first substantial business block in the town, and erected even before Havelock's incorporation. The building was also the venue of the strikers' meetings during the Burlington Shop strike of 1922. That strike was the major precipitating event in Havelock's decline during the 1920s, leading to its annexation by Lincoln in 1930.
Lewis-Syford House [LC13:D09-002] Listed 1971/02/18; Amended 2007/07/03
The Lewis-Syford House was built sometime around 1878, during the apex of the Second Empire style and conveys architectural significance. The house is an excellent example of the Second Empire style of the Late Victorian period, particularly for Lincoln, Nebraska, where the style is extremely rare. The Lewis-Syford House conforms to the strictures of the Second Empire style completely. It features a concave mansard roof punctuated by elaborate dormers with a miniature pediment. The windows on the first floor are all tall, narrow windows that are double-hung. Two different scales of brackets are located under the narrow eave of the mansard roof. The building is elaborated upon with details of the romantic period, such as iron cresting and scrolled woodwork on the porches. Canted and projecting bays break up the flat planes of the surfaces of the facades.
Lincoln Army Air Field Regimental Chapel [LC13:B15W-001] Listed 1993/06/17
The Lincoln Army Air Field Regimental Chapel was constructed in May 1942. The building is significant for its association with the World War II Lincoln Army Air Field. It is also significant as a good representation of building technology used in World War II.
Lincoln Liberty Life Insurance Building [LC13:C09-048] Listed 1988/01/19
The building, located in downtown Lincoln, was constructed in 1907-8 as the five-story Little Building and then redesigned in 1936 for the Lincoln Liberty Life Insurance Company by the architectural firm of Meginnis and Schaumberg. The remodeling, which included the addition of a sixth floor, transformed the building into a prominent Art Deco style structure.
Masonic Temple [LC13:D08-020] Listed 2005/08/05
Designed by the Lincoln architectural firm of Meginnis and Schaumberg, the Masonic Temple is an excellent example of the union of art and architecture. A restrained Art Deco style is seen in the cubic massing and geometric décor of the building. Locally renowned artist Elizabeth Honor Dolan worked with the architectural character and form of the building's interior, creating a series of nine related murals in the meeting hall. The bas relief sculpture above the main entrance to the Masonic Temple was also based on a sketch by Dolan.
Mount Emerald and Capitol Additions Historic District [LC13:D07] Listed 1980/06/05
The historic district comprises twenty blocks of residential and religious structures dating from the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries. The Mount Emerald and Capitol Additions area of Lincoln was a middle- and upper-middle-class residential neighborhood, whose residents reflected the governmental, educational, and commercial character of the growing city. The Capitol Addition was platted in 1870. The oldest houses in this portion of the district date from the 1880s and include notable residences such as the R. 0. Phillips House, an impressive Richardsonian Romanesque dwelling, and the James Wampler House, a fine product of Italianate design. The Mount Emerald Addition was platted in 1904. The most substantial building in the district is the First Plymouth Congregational Church, a Lincoln landmark dedicated in 1931.
Municipal Lighting and Waterworks Plant [LC13:E06-002] Listed 1986/07/24
The A Street Power and Water Station, a flat-roofed structure of red brick with stone and brick trim, is an industrial building designed in the Neo-Classical Revival style by Fiske and Meginnis, a local partnership especially active in municipal architecture in the 1920s. In 1904 Lincoln voters authorized a municipal electric plant to pump water and light streets. It was located near the well on A Street. In 1913 the city authorized sale of power to consumers, much enlarging the kilowatt capacity of the A Street plant. In the spring of 1921 the city council voted to build a new combined pumping station and powerhouse, with a substantial increase in generating capacity. The current building was constructed in 1921-22 after the approval of bond issues for water system and municipal lighting improvements. It has been rehabilitated as residential units.
Murphy-Sheldon House [LC13:D08-387] Listed 1994/11/04
The Murphy-Sheldon House was built ca.1889. It is significant as one of the most ornate examples of the Queen Anne style in Lincoln, and one of the most intact, with its rare surviving features including its elaborate main porch, carriage porch, carriage house, and interior elements.
More National Register Sites in Lancaster County
How to list a property on the National Register
Return to Nebraska National Register Sites Index Page
Return to National Register information