Karl Stefan Memorial Airport Administration Building, pdf [MD00-023] Listed 2002/07/11
Constructed in 1946 the administration building is located at the Norfolk Airport. The building is significant as an excellent and rare example in the state of the Streamline Moderne style applied to airport architecture. The structure is also significant for its regional importance as a transportation center associated with the development of aviation in northeastern Nebraska.
First United Presbyterian Church, pdf [MD03-021] Listed 2008/12/03
This Madison church is architecturally significant as a modest but representative example of the Romanesque Revival style. Wide rounded arches over windows and doors, multiple towers and the use of different colored brick are all hallmarks of the style. In addition, this building is also significance for its adherence to the Akron Plan, where a central rounded portion of the building is divided into individual "pie-shaped" classrooms for Sunday school instruction. The church also features beautiful stained glass windows depicting various biblical scenes.
St. Leonard's Catholic Church and Rectory, pdf [MD03-023] Listed 1989/11/27
St. Leonard's Catholic Church and Rectory, constructed between 1902 and 1913 in Madison, are architecturally significant as representing the work of a prominent Nebraska architect, Jacob M. Nachtigall. A distinguished designer of Ecclesiastical architecture, Nachtigall designed mostly Catholic buildings in the state. The church is an outstanding example of the Romanesque Revival-style of architecture, with its massive articulated wall structures, round arches and powerful vaults. The rectory is designed in the Neo-Classical Revival-style of architecture.
Warrick House, pdf [MD04-001] Listed 1990/11/28
The John Wesley and Grace Shafer Warrick House, located in Meadow Grove, is a large two-and-one-half story, nineteen-room frame house built in 1903. The Warrick House is an excellent example of the Free Classic Queen Anne-style. In the early 1920s a basement and large frontal porch were added. The interior retains original features, such as decorative woodwork and glazed tile fireplaces.
U.S. Post Office and Courthouse, pdf [MD06-002] Listed 1974/10/09
In 1902 Congress appropriated $100,000 for the construction of a U.S. Post Office and Courthouse in Norfolk. Completed in 1904, the three-story stone and brick building is a fine example of the Second Renaissance Revival style, designed under plans attributed to James Knox Taylor, supervising architect of the U.S. Treasury. A 1930s addition greatly expanded the size of the building and was designed to replicate the original structure.
Norfolk Carnegie Library, pdf [MD06-010] Listed 1998/12/31
The Norfolk Public Library first opened its doors on July 7, 1906. The Norfolk Women's Club had been working for a public library almost from the beginning of the club's founding ten years earlier. In 1908, the operation was transferred from the Women's Club to the City of Norfolk and became a free public library. In 1908, a movement was begun to secure building funds from Andrew Carnegie. Construction of the building began in 1909 and completed in September of the following year. The building stands today as a major landmark in Norfolk and is a testament to the Classical Revival style of architecture of the early 20th Century.
Mathewson-Gerecke House [MD06-140] Listed 2012/03/12
Situated on a commanding lot in Norfolk, the two-story Mathewson-Gerecke house is associated with two of Norfolk's most prominent citizens: Charles P. Mathewson and Herman Gerecke. Both men were among the earliest residents of the town and became well-known businessmen in the community. The home, one of Norfolk's finest Queen Anne styles, was built by Mathewson in 1884, and then purchased by Gerecke in 1887.
Grand Theater, pdf [MD06-517] Listed 2013/09/04
Located in the downtown commercial area of Norfolk, the Grand Theater is an excellent example of the evolution of early entertainment in Norfolk and as a "transitional" theater built specifically for showing movies, but also accommodating some live performances. It is also associated with a period of dramatic growth in the city, contributing to entertainment history in this regional trade center for northeast Nebraska. The theater was the city's first permanent or "purpose-built" movie theater when constructed in 1920.
Hotel Norfolk, pdf [MD06-143] Listed 1988/12/01
Constructed in 1926 in Norfolk, the hotel exhibits the Georgian Revival-style. It is an important representative of the modern commercial hotel movement occurring in the smaller communities of Nebraska during this time. The Hotel Norfolk is also significant as the home of one of the oldest radio stations in the Midwest, WJAG, from 1926 to 1944.
How to list a property on the National Register
Return to Nebraska National Register Sites Index Page
Return to National Register information