John W. Bennett House, pdf [NH00-015] Listed 1983/09/16
The John W. Bennett House is a remnant of what was once a substantial farmstead operated by John W. Bennett. It was later a part of Governor Robert W. Furnas's pioneer Brownville nursery during the years 1889 to 1903. The two-story frame house, located near Brownville, was built in 1868 and is a particularly fine example of the I-type house. It is the oldest dated such house in Nebraska.
St. John's Lutheran Church Complex, pdf [NH00-032] Listed 1979/01/25
German settlement in Benton Precinct of Nemaha County commenced in the spring of 1856 when a small group of German Lutherans came from Illinois and settled by the timber-lined Muddy Creek. A Lutheran congregation was established in 1866. The church complex is a unique assemblage of buildings and includes the "old stone church," built about 1868; the 1903 Gothic Revival frame church building; a two-story parsonage constructed in 1925; and the parish cemetery, which contains over 500 tombstones, the earliest one dated 1857.
Brownville Bridge, pdf [NH00-085] Listed 1993/06/17
The Atchison County, Missouri, supervisors initiated the planning for this bridge, located near Brownville, Nebraska, over the Missouri River in the late 1930s. Construction began early in 1939 and was completed by October of the same year. For years Atchison County operated the bridge as a toll crossing to repay its bondholders and cover maintenance expenses. Eventually paid off, it is now owned and maintained by the state of Missouri as a free crossing.
Wilber T. Reed House, pdf [NH01-005] Listed 1980/03/24
Constructed in the Italianate style in 1884-85, the two-story brick house, located in Auburn, was built by Wilber T. Reed, a native of Ohio. Reed's grocery and general merchandise store was important to the early settlers of central and western Nemaha County.
New Opera House, pdf [NH01-045] Listed 1988/09/28
The New Opera House was built in 1890 at a reported cost of $20,000 by the Auburn Building and Improvement Association. The opera house is located on the second floor of the two-story brick building and has a balcony, dressing rooms, and a stage with trapdoor. Later known as the Maclay Opera House, it offered performances such as "The Wolf," "East Lynne," and "Toyland."
Auburn United States Post Office, pdf [NH01-056] Listed 1992/05/11
The Auburn United States Post Office is a one-story, red brick building constructed in 1936-37 in the Georgian Revival-style. While the building retains a high degree of integrity, its historical significance derives from the mural painted on an interior wall.
Through New Deal Programs such as the Public Works of Art Project and the WPA Federal Art Project, thousands of artists were employed. In 1934 the Section of Painting and Sculpture (renamed the Section of Fine Arts in 1938) was organized under the auspices of the Treasury Department to provide murals and sculpture for the many federal buildings constructed during the New Deal era.
Between 1938 and 1942 the Treasury Department's Section of Fine Arts (generally known as "the Section") commissioned twelve murals for twelve newly constructed post offices in Nebraska. Auburn, along with the other eleven post office murals in Nebraska represent the Section's goal of making art accessible to the general population by reserving one percent of new building construction budgets for art.
Legion Memorial Park, pdf [NH01-069,070-077] Listed 2004/12/29
Founders of Auburn set aside land for city park space in 1883; it was renamed American Legion Memorial Park in 1930. Over the years the park developed through the enthusiasm and generosity of the community of Auburn and projects funded by the Works Progress Administration.
Nemaha County Courthouse, pdf [NH01-085] Listed 1990/01/10
Nemaha County originated in 1855 with Brownville as the county seat. Located on the Missouri River, Brownville served as an early important point for westward immigration. However, the growing importance of railroad transportation and increasing county settlement inland threatened and eventually overturned Brownville's standing as county seat. The move came after the citizens of Calvert and Sheridan, both inland rail stops, put aside rivalries and merged to form the new town of Auburn in 1882. After a series of elections the county seat was formally moved to Auburn in 1885. Between 1885 and 1900 the county rented the first courthouse, a modest wood frame building. In 1889 county residents approved a bond issue for a new courthouse. Construction began that same year and in 1900 the Richardsonian Romanesque-style courthouse opened.
First United Presbyterian Church, pdf [NH01-086] Listed 1982/07/15
Synodical missionary George L. Little organized the First United Presbyterian Church of Auburn in 1887 as the Calvert Presbyterian Church. The present church building was constructed in 1906-7 in the Late Gothic Revival style. The interior exhibits the "Akron plan," which originated in the 1860s and is characterized by an arrangement in which instructional rooms are adjacent to the auditorium and separated by a folding partition that can be opened for additional seating during services.
Brownville Historic District, pdf [NH03] Listed 1970/05/19
Known as the "City of the Seven Hills," Brownville was first settled by Richard Brown in 1854 and became a major steamboat landing, river crossing, overland freighting terminus, and milling center along the Missouri River. The historic district is comprised of commercial, residential, and religious properties, including the 1859 Congregational, later Methodist, Church; the Brown-Carson House, an Italianate dwelling erected in 1860; and the Lone Tree Saloon, a two-story brick building constructed about 1868.
Captain Meriwether Lewis Dredge, pdf (NHL) [NH03-059] Listed 1977/10/28
Constructed in 1932 by the Marietta Manufacturing Company of West Virginia, the sidewheel steam dredge was built for the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers at a cost of $523,898. The Lewis is a thirty-four-inch dustpan dredge, so named because of the dustpan-shaped section at the bow, which is lowered to dredge the river bottom. The Captain Meriwether Lewis did dredging work on the Missouri River for navigation and flood control improvements by the federal government. The dredge is now located in Brownville.
Thomas J. Majors Farmstead, pdf [NH09-010] Listed 1978/06/15
Located in Peru, the farmstead is associated with Thomas Jefferson Majors, born in 1841 in Jefferson County, Iowa. Majors served as state senator, lieutenant governor, and U.S. congressman. He was active in promoting the idea of using Old Mount Vernon College (1863) in Peru as a state normal school. His efforts were successful in 1867 when the property was given to the state and subsequently became Peru State College. The farmstead includes the 1890s two-story brick house, a bank barn, and several outbuildings.
How to list a property on the National Register
Return to Nebraska National Register Sites Index Page
Return to National Register information