Doyle Archeological Site [25-RW-28] Listed 1974/12/04
Doyle is one of the finest examples of Woodland culture in the Republican River valley of southwest Nebraska and northwest Kansas. Work at the site, located near McCook, uncovered a superb example of a Woodland house floor. Artifacts, particularly pottery vessels, attribute the occupation to the Keith Phase (A.D. 500-1000), the only known Woodland culture in southwest Nebraska. Radiocarbon dates suggest two separate occupations, the first about A.D. 50 and another about A.D. 550-600. These dates offer preliminary evidence of Woodland culture emerging in the Republican basin five centuries earlier than previously thought.
Norden Bombsight Vault, pdf [RW00-001.002] Listed 1993/06/17
Located at the former McCook Army Air Base, this Norden bombsight vault, constructed in 1943, is a representative example of the type of structure used by the military to help ensure the secrecy of an advanced technology device during World War II. Training in the use of Norden bombsights was an integral activity of World War II army airfields. The vault, therefore, is an important relic and feature of a significant activity (the air war) associated with World War II.
H. P. Sutton House, pdf (The Wright House) [RW05-001] Listed 1978/05/22
The two-story frame and stucco Prairie style house was built for Mr. and Mrs. Harvey P. Sutton. Sutton owned a jewelry store in McCook, was active in community affairs, and served as director of the C.B.&Q. Railroad Concert Band, known throughout the state. The house was designed by renowned architect Frank Lloyd Wright in 1905 and was completed in 1908.
Keystone Hotel, pdf [RW05-011] Listed 2001/07/05
Located in McCook, the Keystone Hotel was constructed in 1922. The hotel represents the organized efforts of a citizen group, the Can-Do Club, to pursue the organization and completion of a new hotel to expand the commercial attraction of downtown McCook. Designed in the Renaissance Revival style the Keystone Hotel retains a high degree of integrity.
McCook Y.M.C.A., pdf [RW05-015] Listed 2000/03/09
The McCook Y.M.C.A. served as a cultural center from the time it was built in 1925. Constructed at the height of a building boom, the Y.M.C.A. represents McCook's economic prosperity of the 1920s. Through the years it has brought together various constituents, including families, churches, schools, business leaders, and clubs in an atmosphere designed to enrich the community's physical and social well-being. In addition to its use as a Y.M.C.A., the building was also the home of McCook Junior College from 1926 to 1936.
Red Willow County Courthouse, pdf [RW05-016] Listed 1990/07/05
Settlement in this area dates from the early 1870s, and the county was established in 1873. An election to select the county seat was held that same year, and Indianola won the honor. The first courthouse was a small frame building. This was replaced in 1880 with a new structure. That was the same year the railroad arrived in the county. The railroad made known its plans for locating a division point with roundhouse and other repair shops in the county. Communities competed for this important economic contribution, with Fairview (present-day McCook) the winner. Because of McCook's economic prosperity and increased population it became the county seat in 1896. McCook residents built a courthouse on the present site that served the county until 1927. In 1926 the county passed a bond issue to finance a new courthouse. Construction began the same year and the Classical Revival-style building was completed the following year.
Senator George W. Norris House, pdf (NHL) [RW05-021] Listed 1967/05/28
The house, located in McCook, is important for its associations with George W Norris, one of America's most distinguished statesmen. The establishment of Nebraska's unicameral legislature and landmark legislation, such as the Rural Electrification Act and the Tennessee Valley Authority, were chiefly the result of his efforts. He represented Nebraska for forty years in the U.S. Congress, as a representative (1903-13) and as a senator (1913-43). Norris purchased the house in 1899 and continued to occupy it until his death in 1944. In 1968 the house was donated to the state of Nebraska, which now operates it as a branch museum of the Nebraska State Historical Society.
McCook Carnegie Library, pdf [RW05-155] Listed 1985/09/12
The McCook Library is an example of the Spanish Colonial Revival style, designed by architect Willis A. Marean of Denver, Colorado. Marean designed numerous turn-of-the-century buildings of prominence in Denver and the surrounding area, but the library building in McCook is the only structure in Nebraska known to have been designed by him. Property for a building site was donated by a local firm, and Andrew Carnegie provided construction funds in December of 1905. The library was dedicated on February 17, 1908.
How to list a property on the National Register
Return to Nebraska National Register Sites Index Page
Return to National Register information