Ashland Archeological District [25CC1, 25CC278, 25SD147, 25SD155] Listed 2000/11/29
The district, located near Ashland, contains a variety of temporally diverse features, primarily representing late prehistoric (Oneota and Central Plains traditions) and protohistoric (some undefined relationship to the post-contact Lower Loup phase) occupations. Presently there is only limited evidence of earlier prehistoric remains (Plains Archaic and Plains Woodland traditions). Included are house floors attributable to both the Oneota and Central Plains traditions, interior and exterior cache pits assigned to the Oneota, Central Plains, and possibly Lower Loup, as well as burials that probably represent Plains Archaic, Plains Woodland, Oneota, and Central Plains traditions. Midden deposits have also been defined on the upper ridge occupied by the Oneota remains, as well as on the terrace, where cache pits of possible Lower Loup association were found. The lithic materials found throughout the district suggest that procurement and processing of locally available stone may have been one reason for the concentration of activity occurring in this area over a considerable period of time. Trade materials in the "Lower Loup" area and in one Oneota burial indicate some level of European contact.
Yutan Site [25-SD-01] Listed 1972/06/26
Spanish colonial correspondence from 1777 noting the existence of a large Oto Indian village near the present-day town of Yutan likely refers to this site. The village was occupied until 1835, when the Oto moved down river in an effort to ease tensions with neighboring tribes and American citizens. The village was visited by a number of American travelers including John Irving in 1833, who provided descriptions of the village and specific lodge construction features. During the late eighteenth and nineteenth centuries Yutan would have been the first major Indian settlement seen by fur traders on the journey up the Platte to western bison hunting and beaver trapping ranges.
Leshara Site [25-SD-02] Listed 1972/03/16
LeShara is a Pawnee village occupied immediately prior to the tribe's removal to the Genoa reservation (1851-59). Observations on the village were made by a number of white travelers and early settlers, and it is depicted on an 1856 General Land Office survey plat map.
McClean Site [25-SD-08] Listed 1972/03/16
McClean is one of the villages occupied by the Pawnee before moving to their reservation in the Genoa vicinity. The date of initial construction is unclear, although it appears to have been between 1847 and 1850 and was probably occupied by the Skidi band. Colorful descriptions of life at McClean, located near the present-day town of Leshara, are provided by Moravian Church emissaries Gottlieb Oehler and David Smith, who visited the community in 1851. They reported that the village comprised some eighty lodges housing nearly 2,500 people. The Skidi did not entirely abandon McClean until 1859.
Pahuk Hill [25-SD-24] Listed 1973/08/14
Pahuk Hill is an impressive promontory overlooking the Platte River near Cedar Bluffs. It is one of the five sacred places of the Pawnee and is the best preserved. Pahuk was the most important gathering place of supernaturally endowed animals (Nahu'rak), venerated by the Pawnee.
Woodcliff Site [25-SD-31] Listed 1973/03/07
During the 1850s the Skidi band of the Pawnee lived in a village near present day Fremont prior to their removal to the Genoa reservation. The Woodcliff Site is probably the cemetery for that community. It has the potential to provide valuable data for the study of late historic Pawnee mortuary customs, diet, and disease.
Israel Beetison House, pdf [SD00-002] Listed 1977/04/18
Located near Ashland, the Israel Beetison House is one of the finest examples of the Italianate style in Nebraska. The residence was constructed in 1874-75 of locally quarried limestone by the Dalton Brothers, local masons, and features a frame cupola on the main portion of the house.
St. Stephen's Episcopal Church, pdf [SD01-039] Listed 1979/01/25
St. Stephen's Episcopal Church is a fine example of Gothic Revival architecture. Board and batten construction adds to its individuality, and the building has undergone only minor alterations since its construction in 1872. St. Stephen's is the oldest church building in Ashland.
Ashland Carnegie Library, pdf [SD01-053] Listed 1983/01/27
Constructed in 1911, the library is a good example of the Jacobethan Revival style. It was designed by the architectural firm of Fisher and Lawrie of Omaha. Funding to build the library was provided by Andrew Carnegie, often called the "Patron Saint" of libraries.
National Bank of Ashland, pdf (Lutton Law Office) [SD01-059] Listed 1983/01/27
The two-story brick and stone commercial building, which was constructed in 1889 in the Richardsonian Romanesque style, was designed by the architectural firm of I. and I. Hodgson, Jr., with offices in Omaha and Portland, Oregon. Between 1889 and 1947 the building housed the National Bank of Ashland and the Citizens National Bank. The Lutton Law Office has occupied the building since 1948.
Ashland Bridge, pdf [SD01-079] Listed 1992/06/29
In late August 1935 the Saunders County Commissioners voted to file for funding from the Federal Emergency Relief Administration of Public Works for a new bridge and approaches at this location. The Lincoln Drainage District planned to alter the course of Salt Creek, thus necessitating a new bridge at Ashland to carry heavily traveled U.S. Highway 6 over the new channel bed. Constructed in1936, this bridge used Warrens with polygonal top chords for its long-span pony trusses. Although adopted as a standard design in other states, the polygonal Warren truss was never used extensively in Nebraska. The Ashland Bridge is thus technologically noteworthy as one of two remaining examples in the state of this formative engineering exercise.
Barnes Oil Company, pdf [SD01-084] Listed 2002/12/05
Constructed in 1932 the Barnes Oil Company is located in Ashland. As the automobile increased in popularity and numbers, roadside businesses were established to serve the needs of motorists. Designed in the Cottage style the Barnes Oil Company is an excellent example of a 1930s service station.
Old Ithaca Grain Elevator, pdf [SD05-003] Listed 2001/02/23
Located in Ithaca, this grain elevator was constructed c. 1890. Used to store grain that would be hauled to market by train, the early elevators, such as the Old Ithaca Grain Elevator, were built of wood and often covered with tin. Because of the construction materials they were susceptible to fire and limited in capacity. As a result concrete elevators, which lacked both of these disadvantages, soon replaced the earlier versions. The result was a steady decline in the number of wooden elevators as they fell into disrepair. Consequently, the Old Ithaca Grain Elevator is an excellent example of a dwindling resource that retains a high degree of historic integrity.
Rad Plzen Cis. 9 Z.C.B.J., pdf [SD10-006] Listed 1986/03/20
Lodge Plzen was originally organized in 1880 and reorganized in 1897 as charter lodge number nine of the newly formed Zapadni Cesko Bratrske Jednoty (Z.C.B.J.) or Western Bohemian Fraternal Association (now Western Fraternal Life Association). The hall, located in Morse Bluff, is a simplifed version of the Renaissance Revival style. It was built in 1910-11.
Wahoo Burlington Depot, pdf [SD16-005] Listed 1985/05/09
The Wahoo Burlington Depot, a two-story wood frame building on the Ashland-to-Schuyler line, was constructed in 1886, several months before the railroad's tracks were completed in 1887. Originally owned by the Omaha and North Platte Railroad Company, it was leased to the Chicago, Burlington and Quincy Railroad in 1886, then deeded to the C.B.&Q. in 1908. It was the last depot constructed in Wahoo, joining the Northwestern and Union Pacific depots in providing service to this area of Saunders County. The depot's main floor plan, which provided separate waiting rooms for men and women, is a variation of a nationally used pattern called the "combination" design. The second level was used for agent's living quarters.
Howard Hanson House, pdf [SD16-062] Listed 1983/01/27
The house is important for its association with Howard Hanson, a world famous composer and music educator. Hanson was born in the house in 1896, and his family continued to reside there until 1943. Hanson was known for his innovative methods of teaching music. He served as director of the Eastman School of Music of the University of Rochester, New York, for forty years and is credited with making the school nationally famous. Hanson's own compositions won numerous awards. The house, constructed about 1888 in Wahoo, is a good example of a simplified Queen Anne dwelling.
Saunders County Courthouse, pdf [SD16-012] Listed 1990/01/10
In 1867 Ashland was selected as the first county seat of Saunders County. An election in 1873, however, brought the county seat to Wahoo. The first courthouse in Wahoo was completed in 1874. By 1890 this building was deemed inadequate, but no further action took place in the nineteenth century. In 1903 voters passed a bond issue to help finance a new courthouse. Construction began the following year and in 1905 the Romanesque Revival-style courthouse opened.
Kacirek-Woita General Store, pdf [SD18-029] Listed 2014/07/08
The Kacirek-Woita General Store is an intact 1894 store building located in Weston, Saunders county. The building, which operated as a store from 1894 until the 1970s, preserves much of its original interior and exterior wood features including decorative cornice brackets, milled wood storefront, grain-painted store shelves and cabinets, and ornate store office.
F.J. Kirchman House, pdf [SD16-085] Listed 2003/08/21
Built in 1903 the F.J. Kirchman House is located in Wahoo. The house is an irregularly shaped two-and-one-half-story wood frame structure. The Kirchman House is significant as an excellent example of Queen Anne architecture, a style popular in Nebraska from approximately 1890 to 1910.
O.K. Market, pdf [SD16-124] Listed 1991/07/03
Originally constructed in 1907 as a harness shop, the O.K. Market began operating as a meat market in 1926. Today, it is a well preserved example of an early twentieth-century meat market. In many commercial buildings of this type the interior spaces have been severely compromised due to renovation and/or alteration. The O.K. Market becomes a notable example due to the pristine condition of the interior, complete with many of the original fixtures and equipment used in the meat processing operations.
How to list a property on the National Register
Return to Nebraska National Register Sites Index Page
Return to National Register information