Schultz Site (NHL) [25-VY-01] Listed 1966/10/15
Located in the North Loup vicinity, the Schultz Site, inhabited at some point during the period A.D. 1-A.D. 500, includes the remains of small oval living structures, storage and trash pits, food refuse, and a diverse inventory of pottery and bone and stone implements. The people who lived at the Schultz Site were among the first to manufacture pottery in the state, and they borrowed aspects of their culture from the Mississippi and Ohio valleys. The site suggests a trade or cultural network emanating from the Midwest's Hopewell culture, which linked other groups from the eastern seaboard to the Gulf of Mexico to the northern Rocky Mountains.
Fort Hartsuff Historic District, pdf [VY00-001] Listed 1978/03/24
Fort Hartsuff, 1874-81, was established to protect settlement in the North Loup valley, near present-day Elyria, and was designed to house one company of infantry. All of the major structures were built in 1874 of grout, from specifications of the U.S. Army Quartermaster's Department. The district includes several restored or reconstructed buildings: the post adjutant's office; enlisted men's barracks; company officers' quarters; commanding officer's quarters; post hospital; quartermaster's storehouse; laundresses' quarters and bakery; quartermaster's stables; and guardhouse. Fort Hartsuff is a state historical park operated by the Nebraska Game and Parks Commission.
Rad Slavin cis. 112 Z.C.B.J. Hall, pdf [VY00-017] Listed 1992/11/12
The hall was built in 1909 with an addition constructed in 1929. The building is significant for its association with the principal Czech-American fraternal organization, and the role it played in the establishment and maintenance of a rich cultural life. It is also significant as a distinct product of Czech National Romantic architecture, which had strong associations with the Czech national identity both in the agricultural villages of Bohemia and the rural settlements of Nebraska.
Bruha House, pdf [VY00-018] Listed 1990/04/05
The Josef and Anna Bruha house was constructed in three phases: 1885, ca. 1890, and ca. 1905. It is significant as the only known extant property in the community that represents the pioneer period of Czech settlement in Valley County. It is also one of only two known examples in Nebraska of the traditional Czech house type known as dvoutrakt dum.
North Loup Bridge, pdf [VY00-026] Listed 1992/06/29
In 1912 the Valley County supervisors contracted for a wagon bridge over the North Loup River near the town of North Loup. This was only the second structure the county had built over the river. Designed by the county engineer, the North Loup Bridge consisted of three, 100-foot pony trusses on steel cylinder piers, with a forty-foot pony truss approach span. The bridge, which was completed in 1913, has carried traffic since with minimal maintenance. The North Loup Bridge is distinguished as a well-preserved example of this mainstay vehicular bridge configuration.
People's Unitarian Church, pdf [VY04-005] Listed 1984/06/14
The People's Unitarian Church, located in Ord, is one of few octagonal buildings in Nebraska. Its unusual design incorporates a square plan with brick wall material on the first story and an octagonshaped second story covered with wooden shingles. The church was organized in early 1899 under the leadership of Reverend A. H. Tyrer, who resigned from the Episcopal Church due to his liberal views. A Unitarian Society was organized shortly thereafter. Construction of the church building began in 1901 with the dedication in November of that year. The building has also been used for various commercial and fraternal purposes and as a library.
Valley County Courthouse, pdf [VY04-001] Listed 1990/01/10
Valley County was organized in 1873 during a period of pronounced settlement in the state. Ord, the present county seat, was elected to that position the same year. County officials built a small courthouse in 1875-76. In the late 1880s a larger and more pretentious courthouse replaced the original. Although talk of another courthouse began in 1915, it was not until 1919 that voters approved a bond issue to help finance its construction. Work began that same year and in 1921 the Beaux Arts courthouse was completed.
How to list a property on the National Register
Return to Nebraska National Register Sites Index Page
Return to National Register information