Frank Parker Archeological Site [25WN1; 25DO169] Listed 2009/03/04
This archeological site contains adjacent areas located within the remnant of a terrace near a former channel of the Missouri River. The site contains previously excavated and newly discovered evidence of an earth lodge settlement from the Nebraska phase of the central plains tradition (A.D. 1000-1400). The site has already contributed to our understanding of Nebraska phase architecture, feature organization and material culture and has the potential to yield important information with further archeological investigation.
Fort Atkinson State Historical Park (NHL) [25-WN-09] Listed 1966/10/15
The Yellowstone Expedition, under the command of Colonel Henry Atkinson, traveled up the Missouri in 1819 with the intention of establishing military posts near Council Bluffs, the Mandan villages, and the Yellowstone River. Only the former was established and named Fort Atkinson. The post was constructed on a prominent Missouri River terrace near present Fort Calhoun in 1820 and occupied until 1827. Fort Atkinson was the only American military post west of the Missouri at that time. The fort was critical in forging political links between the U.S. government and local Indian tribes, as well as protecting American fur trade and frontier interests. The fort consisted of a 450-foot-square barracks quadrangle with two bastions enclosing the parade ground, magazine, and possibly other structures. A wide assortment of structures was built on the exterior including a council house, stables, carpentry and blacksmith shops, laundresses' quarters, and slaughterhouses. Based on over ten seasons of archeological fieldwork, most of the fort has been reconstructed and an interpretive center established. It is operated as a state historical park by the Nebraska Game and Parks Commission.
Bertrand Steamboat Site [25-WN-14] Listed 1969/03/24
Beginning in the early nineteenth century, steamboat traffic increased on the Missouri River. The Bertrand, owned by the Montana and Idaho Steamship Lines, was one of the largest steamboats to ply the Missouri north of the Platte River. The 160 by 30 foot sternwheeler hit a snag on the Missouri River north of Omaha and sank in April 1865. The boat was discovered and excavated in the late 1960s. The artifacts recovered are displayed in the Bertrand museum at the DeSoto National Wildlife Refuge. The steamboat hull was reburied at the site of its discovery.
Long Creek School District 8, pdf [WN00-053] Listed 2001/02/23
The Long Creek School District 8, located near Blair, is a one-story, one-room, frame building constructed in 1889. It is an excellent example of a property type that illustrates an historically significant pattern of rural education. This particular pattern persisted through the twentieth century despite many changes in educational policy and reform.
Old McDonald Farm, pdf [WN00-253] Listed 2001/07/05
Located in Washington County, the farmhouse was constructed in 1896 with other buildings added in subsequent years. The farmstead is significant for its association with the broad pattern of agricultural development in Washington County. The collection of late-nineteenth and early-twentieth-century farm buildings retains a high degree of integrity.
Congregational Church of Blair, pdf [WN02-002] Listed 1979/02/01
The Congregational Church of Blair is a good example of the Carpenter Gothic style. The board and batten structure was constructed in 1874 by George Sutherland, a local builder, to the designs of Charles F. Driscoll, an Omaha architect. Several additions were made in later years. Eight charter members organized the church on February 10, 1870, eleven months after Blair was platted.
C. C. Crowell, Jr. House, pdf [WN02-003] Listed 1982/07/19
The C. C. Crowell, Jr. House was built in 1901 by Christopher Columbus Crowell, Jr. and is transitional in style, exhibiting both Queen Anne and Neo-Classical Revival details. The Crowell family and their businesses, the Crowell Lumber and Grain Company and the Crowell Elevator Company, were associated with the development and commercial growth of the city of Blair for seventy years.
Abraham Castetter House, pdf [WN02-004] Listed 1982/06/25
Located on what was known as "Silk Stocking Row" in Blair during the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries, the Abraham Castetter house is a product of Eclecticism. The original house was built in the French Second Empire style in 1876, with later additions following various architectural styles that were popular during the 1880s and 1890s. Castetter, a native of Ohio, moved to Blair in 1869 and entered the banking business. In 1898 he established "The Banking House of A. Castetter." In 1887 Castetter deeded to the city land which formed the nucleus of the city park.
Washington County Courthouse, pdf [WN02-001] Listed 1990/01/10
Washington County was among the earliest organized in Nebraska, having been established in 1854. After residing in De Soto and Fort Calhoun, the county seat was assigned to Blair in 1869. In 1889 voters passed a bond issue to help finance the construction of a courthouse. Work began the same year, but because of some delays the Romanesque Revival-style courthouse was not finished until 1891.
Blair High School, pdf [WN02-118] Listed 1991/03/14
Located in Blair, the Blair High School was constructed in 1899. It is a two-story over raised basement brick structure designed in the Richardsonian Romanesque style. The original H-plan, sheltered by a series of hipped roofs, had two additions appended to the north. The first, a two-story gable roofed brick Colonial Revival annex was added in 1929. In 1967 a small, one-story, flat-roofed brick structure was appended to the west facade of the 1929 addition.
Fontanelle Township Hall, pdf [WN04-001] Listed 1982/09/09
The Fontanelle Township Hall is a well-preserved example of the township meeting hall. Fontanelle voters held their first annual meeting in April 1884, and in 1896 they approved the construction of a one-story brick hall. The building served as a meeting hall and polling place for the local rural residents.
Alfred H. and Sarah Frahm House, pdf [WN05-010] Listed 2006/03/02
Constructed in 1905 the Frahm House is located in Fort Calhoun. The house is significant because of its unique architecture. This eclectic residence is an irregularly shaped, two-story wood-frame structure. The asymmetrical massing and hipped portions of the roof with lower cross gables resemble the Queen Anne style. The architectural details of this house, however, are Colonial Revival.
How to list a property on the National Register
Return to Nebraska National Register Sites Index Page
Return to National Register information