Official Nebraska Government Website Nebraska State Historical Society

Nebraska National Register Sites
in Wayne County


Urban Sites

Wayne Commercial Historic District, pdf [WY05-] Listed 2009/12/08

The Wayne Commercial Historic District contains forty-four buildings along Main and 2nd Streets that collectively are significant to the area's commercial, transportation and community development. The majority of these are one or two-story brick "Main Street" buildings constructed between 1880 and 1960. Depots dating from 1883 and 1912 are relics of the abandoned Chicago, St. Paul, Minneapolis, and Omaha Railroad line between Sioux City and Norfolk. Wayne's Old City Hall is also included. Grain elevators constructed by the Peavey Elevator Company and the local Farmers Union Cooperative complete the Historic District.

  Dr. W. C. Wightman House, pdf (Wightman-Ley House) [WY05-001] Listed 1978/06/13

The Shingle style house was built in 1900 by Dr. W. C. Wightman, a Wayne physician and doctor for the Union Pacific Railroad Company. In 1912 Wightman moved to California and sold the house to Rollie W. Ley, who served as clerk and later president of the Wayne State National Bank.

  Wayne County Courthouse, pdf [WY05-002] Listed 1979/05/02

The two-story brick and stone courthouse, which features a prominent, eighty foot tall square tower, is a good example of the Richardsonian Romanesque style. It was designed by the architectural firm of Orff and Guilbert of Minneapolis. The courthouse, located in Wayne, was built in 1899 and is one of the county's grandest and most substantial buildings.

  Wayne Municipal Auditorium, pdf [WY05-056] Listed 2002/03/28

Located in Wayne, the auditorium, constructed in 1935 is an excellent example of the Art Deco style of architecture. The building is also significant as a project partially funded by the Federal Emergency Administration of Public Works (FEAPW), a program administered by the Public Works Administration. The FEAPW provided matching grants to local governments for public works projects.

 Wayne United States Post Office, pdf [WY05-306] Listed 2007/12/27

This Art Deco building was constructed in 1934 and was a project funded by the Public Works Administration. The Wayne Post Office gains significance for an association with public work projects as means of alleviating widespread poverty during the Great Depression of the 1930s. It is also significant in the area of architecture and is an excellent example of the Art Deco style popular at the time of construction.



How to list a property on the National Register

Return to Nebraska National Register Sites Index Page

Return to National Register information

 


NSHS Home  |  Search  |  Index  |  Top

http://www.nebraskahistory.org/histpres/nebraska/wayne.htm
Last updated 25 October 2010

For questions or comments on the website itself, email nshs.web@nebraska.gov
Nebraska State Historical Society - P.O. Box 82554, 1500 R Street, Lincoln, NE 68501
Nebraska State Government Homepage
 |  Website Policies  |  © 2010 All Rights Reserved