Official Nebraska Government Website Nebraska State Historical Society

More Tax Incentive Program Projects
in Douglas County


Tax Incentive Program Projects in Douglas County

George H. Lee Building [DO09:123-030]
Housing Units: 20
Low-Moderate Income Housing Units: 20

The George H. Lee Building is a contributing property in Omaha's Old Market Historic District. Constructed in 1903, the four-story building was originally used as warehouse and office space. After the rehabilitation, completed in 1997, the building was converted to mixed commercial and rental residential use.

Swoboda Bakery Building [DO09:117-012]
Housing Units: 4
Low-Moderate Income Housing Units: 4

Constructed in 1888, the Swoboda Bakery Building is significant to the ethnic history of Omaha for its association with Czech immigration and settlement. The two-story building was originally designed as a mixed-use commercial and residential property. After the rehabilitation, completed in 1996, the building was converted to rental residential space only.

Aquila Court Building [DO09:122-005]

The four-story Aquila Court Building was constructed in 1923. It was originally designed for mixed use consisting of office, residential, and commercial space. The rehabilitation, completed in 1996, converted the building to a hotel.

Skinner Building [DO09:121-028]
Housing Units: 71

Located in Omaha, the six-story Skinner Building was constructed in 1914. The building is important for its association with Skinner Macaroni Company, a major manufacturer and distributor of pasta products. Skinner was one of the few businesses in the wholesale district to manufacture as well as distribute its products. Following the rehabilitation in 1997, the building was converted into apartments.

Fire Station #1 [DO09:121-038]

Constructed in 1903, the Omaha Fire Station #1 is a contributing property in the Old Market Historic District. The two-story structure was designed by the prominent Omaha architects Fisher and Lawrie. Following the rehabilitation in 1997, the building was converted to commercial space.

Securities Building [DO09:123-075]
Housing Units: 34
Low-Moderate Income Housing Units: 34

Located in Omaha, the Securities Building was constructed in 1916 as a commercial and office building. The six-story structure is designed in the Sullivanesque style. Following its rehabilitation in 1997, the building was converted to mixed commercial and residential use.

Rosewater School [DO09:105-001]
Housing Units: 32
Low-Moderate Income Housing Units: 32

Located in Omaha, Rosewater School was constructed in 1910. The building is a brick, two-story structure designed in a simplified Second Renaissance Revival style. The rehabilitation in 1985 converted the former school to apartments.

Packers National Bank Building [DO09:096-004]
Housing Units: 7

Constructed in 1907, the Packers National Bank is a contributing property in South Omaha's Main Street Historic District. The one-story brick building is designed in the Neo-Classical Revival style. The rehabilitation, completed in 1988, converted the former bank to a mixed rental residential and commercial use.

Bemis Omaha Bag Building [DO09:121-029]
Housing Units: 34
Low-Moderate Income Housing Units: 34

Located in Omaha, the Bemis Bag Building is a five-story structure constructed in three phases between 1887 and 1902. The Bemis Company was a national leader in the manufacturing and sale of bags and sacks for flour, grain, and other commodities. The rehabilitation, completed in 1985, converted the former factory into apartments and commercial space.

Ford Hospital (Fifth Avenue Apartments) [DO09:209-006]
Housing Units: 31
Low-Moderate Income Housing Units: 31

Located in Omaha, the Ford Hospital is a three-story building constructed in 1916. It is one of the last known remaining small privately owned hospitals founded in the early years of Omaha's emergence as a regional medical center. The former hospital was converted to apartments following the rehabilitation in 1987.

Hotel Sanford (The Conant Hotel) [DO09:124-038]
Housing Units: 53
Low-Moderate Income Housing Units: 53

The Hotel Sanford, located in Omaha, is a seven-story building constructed in 1916-17. Designed by locally prominent architect John Latenser, Sr., the Sanford exhibits characteristics of the Commercial style. Following its rehabilitation in 1988, the former hotel was converted to rental residential space.

Saunders School [DO09:323-021]
Housing Units: 23
Low-Moderate Income Housing Units: 23

Located in Omaha, the Saunders School is a two-story brick structure constructed in 1899. The building remains as one of the earliest extant examples of schoolhouse design by prominent Omaha architect John Latenser, Sr. After the rehabilitation was completed in 1990, the former school was converted to rental residential space.

Millard-Kirkendall and Jones Building [DO09:123-018]
Housing Units: 12
Low-Moderate Income Housing Units: 12

Constructed in 1887, the Millard-Kirkendall and Jones Building is a contributing property in Omaha's Old Market Historic District. The brick and rough-cut sandstone building was originally used as a warehouse. Following its rehabilitation in 1987, the building was converted to a mixed use of residential, retail, and commercial space.

City National Bank Building (Orpheum Towers) [DO09:123-023]
Housing Units: 130

The sixteen-story City National Bank Building, constructed in 1910, was Omaha's first skyscraper. Originally containing a bank and office space, the rehabilitation, completed in 1989, converted the building primarily to rental residential use.

Ansonia Apartment Building [DO09:12-044]
Housing Units: 24
Low-Moderate Income Housing Units: 24

Constructed in 1929, the Ansonia Apartment Building is a contributing property in the Drake Court and Dartmore Apartment Historic District in Omaha. The three-story building remained rental residential space following the rehabilitation in 1992.

Nash Block (McKesson-Robbins Building) [DO09:123-009]
Housing Units: 135
Low-Moderate Income Housing Units: 135

The Nash Warehouse Building is an eight-story structure constructed in 1905-07. It is significant for its association with the M. E. Smith Company, which grew to be the largest wholesale dry goods firm in Omaha. Following the rehabilitation in 1996, the former warehouse was converted to rental residential space.

Center School (Lincoln School Apartments) [DO09:115-005]
Housing Units: 27
Low-Moderate Income Housing Units: 27

Constructed in 1893, with a major addition in 1916, the two-story Center School is located in Omaha. The building is significant as a fine example of the Richardsonian Romanesque style of architecture. The 1987 rehabilitation converted the former school into rental residential space.

Kennedy Building (Union Plaza Apartments) [DO09:121-065]
Housing Units: 60
Low-Moderate Income Housing Units: 60

Located in Omaha, the Kennedy Building is a seven-story structure constructed in 1910. Utilizing a unique local adaptation of the Commercial style of architecture, it was built as a speculative commercial showroom and warehouse. After the rehabilitation in 1986, the building was converted to rental residential space.

Mercer Hotel (Gahm Block) [DO09:121-002]
Housing Units: 4
Low-Moderate Income Housing Units: 4

The Mercer Hotel is a contributing property in Omaha's Old Market Historic District. The hotel was built in 1890-92 by prominent entrepreneur Samuel D. Mercer. He sold the hotel in 1895 and in 1900 the building was completely renovated into warehouse and wholesale space for Joseph Gahm of Boston. The rehabilitation, completed in 1986, converted the building to rental residential space.

Mason School (Mason School Apartments) [DO09:205-009]
Housing Units: 32
Low-Moderate Income Housing Units: 32

Located in Omaha, Mason School was constructed in 1888 with a 1936 addition. The two-story brick structure is significant as a fine example of the Richardsonian Romanesque style of architecture. Following the rehabilitation in 1989, the former school was converted to rental residential units.

Moses Block [DO09:117-006]
Housing Units: 12
Low-Moderate Income Housing Units: 12

Constructed in 1888, the Moses Block represents the early growth and boom of Omaha during the 1880s. Built in the Queen Anne Style, it was originally built as a mixed-use commercial building with a series of storefronts on the ground floor and apartment flats on the upper level. The rehabilitation, completed in 2001, retained the commercial/residential mixed use.

Bushman Warehouse [DO09:119-007]
Housing Units: 16
Low-Moderate Income Housing Units: 16

The Bushman Warehouse, constructed in 1890, is a contributing property in the Omaha Rail and Commerce Historic District. The five-story brick and stone building was originally used as a warehouse. Following the rehabilitation in 1998, the Bushman Warehouse was converted to rental residential and commercial space.

Avery Manufacturing Warehouse [DO09:119-008]
Housing Units: 32
Low-Moderate Income Housing Units: 32

Constructed in 1899, the Avery Manufacturing Warehouse is a contributing property in the Omaha Rail and Commerce Historic District. The five-story brick and stone building was originally designed for manufacturing and warehouse space. The 1998 rehabilitation converted the Avery Manufacturing Warehouse to rental residential and commercial use.

Ames Block (Spaghetti Works) [DO09:121-016]
Housing Units: 48
Low-Moderate Income Housing Units: 48

The Ames Block is a contributing property in Omaha's Old Market Historic District. Constructed in 1889, the five-story building was originally used for manufacturing, storage, and office space. The rehabilitation, completed in 2000, converted the property to rental residential and retail use.

The Bosworth [DO09:122-023]
Housing Units: 17
Low-Moderate Income Housing Units: 17

The Bosworth, constructed in 1913, is a contributing property in Omaha's Howard Street Apartment District. The four-story brick building is designed in an eclectic manner. The 1997 rehabilitation maintained The Bosworth as an apartment building.

Mercantile Storage and Warehouse Building [DO09:121-003]
Housing Units: 72

The Mercantile Storage and Warehouse Building, constructed in 1919-20, is a contributing property in the Omaha Rail and Commerce Historic District. Originally a six-story building, three stories were added in 1920. The rehabilitation, completed in 2001, converted the former warehouse to commercial and rental residential space.

Sattley Manufacturing Building [DO09:121-035]
Housing Units: 49

Constructed in 1899, the Sattley Manufacturing Building is a contributing property in the Omaha Rail and Commerce Historic District. The eight-story brick and stone structure is designed in the vernacular style with Romanesque elements. Following the rehabilitation, completed in 2001, the former warehouse was converted to a mixed use of commercial and rental residential space.

Parlin, Orendorff and Martin Plow Company Building (Butternut Building) [DO09:121-036]
Housing Units: 85

The Parlin, Orendorff and Martin Plow Company Building, constructed in 1909, is a contributing property in the Omaha Rail and Commerce Historic District. The seven-story building is embellished with Renaissance detail. The rehabilitation, completed in 2001, converted the former warehouse to rental residential and commercial space.

Creighton Block [DO09:121-036]
Housing Units: 54

The Creighton Block is a contributing property is the Omaha Rail and Commerce Historic District. The building was originally five-stories at the time of its initial construction in 1906. Three more stories were added in 1920. First designed as a warehouse, the rehabilitation, completed in 2001, converted the space to rental residential use.

Bekins Building/Western Newspaper Union (Joslyn Lofts) [DO09:121-069]
Housing Units: 29

Constructed in 1916, the Bekins Building is a contributing property in the Omaha Rail and Commerce Historic District. The five-story brick and limestone building was originally built as a warehouse. Following the rehabilitation, completed in 2000, the Bekins Building was converted to rental residential use.

Berkeley Apartment Building [DO09:122-052]
Housing Units: 24
Low-Moderate Income Housing Units: 24

The Berkeley Apartment Building was constructed in 1915. The property is a three-story brick and stone structure originally designed to house apartments. The rehabilitation, completed in 1986, maintained the historic use.

Kirschbraun and Sons Creamery [DO09:123-007]; Anton-Hospe Warehouse [DO09:123-073]

The Kirschbraun and Sons Creamery is a five-story brick and stone structure constructed in 1917. The facility was originally a warehouse. The Anton-Hospe Warehouse was constructed in 1919. The building is a six-story brick and stone structure. This unique rehabilitation, completed in 2000, converted the two former warehouses into one hotel.

Keeline Building [DO09:124-017]

Constructed in 1911, the Keeline Building is located in Omaha. The seven-story structure is architecturally significant as an exceptional example of the Georgian Revival style. Following the rehabilitation, completed in 2000, the building retained its original use as office and retail space.

Farnam Building [DO09:124-042]
Housing Units: 30
Low-Moderate Income Housing Units: 30

Constructed in 1929, the Farnam Building is located in Omaha. The seven-story structure is historically significant for its association with the important late 1920s commercial and economic boom in the city. Completed in 2000, the rehabilitation converted the building from office and retail space to rental residential and retail use.

Ford Warehouse [DO09:125-037]
Housing Units: 60

The Ford Warehouse, constructed in 1919, is located in Omaha. The building is six-stories, constructed of brick and stone. The rehabilitation, completed in 2000, converted the former warehouse to rental residential space.

Immaculate Conception School [DO09:297-001]
Housing Units: 19
Low-Moderate Income Housing Units: 19

The Immaculate Conception School, constructed in 1913, operated as a private school. It contributes to the Polish ethnic heritage and settlement of this portion of South Omaha. The 1999 rehabilitation converted the former school to rental residential space.

Robbins School (Robbins School Apartments) [DO09:297-001]
Housing Units: 21
Low-Moderate Income Housing Units: 21

Constructed in 1910 with a 1916 addition, Robbins School is located in Omaha. The school served residents of a newly established and growing Polish community in South Omaha. Completed in 2000, the rehabilitation converted the former school to rental residential use.

Notre Dame Academy [DO09:361-004]
Housing Units: 32
Low-Moderate Income Housing Units: 15

The Notre Dame Academy, constructed in 1926, is designed in the Italian Renaissance Revival style. Located in Omaha it is significant for its association with the Czech population in Nebraska as the only school and convent of the Czechoslovakian School Sisters of Notre Dame in the United States. The rehabilitation, completed in 1999, converted the former academy to rental residential space.



Tax Incentive Program Projects in Douglas County

Return to Tax Incentive Program Projects Index Page

 

 


NSHS Home  |  Search  |  Index  |  Top

http://www.nebraskahistory.org/histpres/tax/douglas2.htm
Last updated 4 September 2001

For questions or comments on the website itself, email nshs.web@nebraska.gov
Nebraska State Historical Society - P.O. Box 82554, 1500 R Street, Lincoln, NE 68501
Nebraska State Government Homepage
 |  Website Policies  |  © 2009 All Rights Reserved