Official Nebraska Government Website Nebraska State Historical Society

First Presbyterian Church (Alliance, Neb.)

RG3231.AM:  First Presbyterian Church (Alliance, Neb.)

Records:  1887-1975
Alliance, Box Butte County, Neb.:  Presbyterian church
Size:  1 reel of microfilm containing 8 volumes and 1 item


The First Presbyterian Church of Alliance was organized on September 1, 1887, before the name Alliance was used for the western Nebraska community. At the time, the community was known as Grand Lake, and the church took as its official title, the church of Grand Lake, Niobrara Presbytery. After the town's lot sale in 1888, the town was renamed Alliance.

The congregation of twelve charter members began services in the homes of the members until a permanent home for the church was acquired at Fourth and Sweetwater. Later, services were held in Bell's Hall, located on the upper floor of the Old Fourth Street Market at 114 1/2 West Fourth Street.

The first regular pastor of the church, Rev. H. J. Brown, assumed his duties on October 3, 1888. When Rev. Brown left the Alliance church, the congregation was temporarily left without a minister to conduct regular services until the arrival of the Rev. J.C. Sloan in 1893. The church purchased a lot at 623 Cheyenne Avenue in 1901, under the pastoral leadership of the Rev. H. J. V. Bogue. A sanctuary was erected on the site and was dedicated on July 17, 1904. In 1908, the Building Committee reported that all the bills had been paid, and the mortgage on the church was burned.


This collection consists of one reel of microfilm containing the records of the First Presbyterian Church of Alliance. It is arranged in three series: 1) Church Registers, 1911-1975, 2) Minutes of the Session, 1887-1975 and 3) Seventy-fifth Anniversary Program, 1962. The church register includes lists of pastors, elders, trustees, communicants, deacons, marriages, and deaths. The session books deal with the official business matters of the church. Volume one of the church register has not yet been located.


Reel 1
Series 1 - Church Registers, 1911-1975

  1. Missing
  2. 1915-1943
  3. 1911-1959
  4. 1911-1963
  5. 1911-1975, includes lists of Pastor, Elders, Trustees, Communicants, Suspensions, Baptisms, Marriages, and Deaths

Series 2 - Minutes of the Session, 1887-1975

  1. 1887-1942
  2. 1943-1959
  3. 1960-1966
  4. 1967-1975

Series 3 - Seventy-fifth Anniversary Program, 1962

  1. Seventy-fifth Anniversary Program, November 6, 1962



Alliance (Neb.) -- Churches
Churches -- Nebraska -- Box Butte County
First Presbyterian Church (Alliance, Neb.)
Presbyterian Church in Nebraska


Revised 08-09-2008   TMM


For additional information about this collection, please contact our Library Staff.

NSHS Home  |  Search  |  Index  |  Top
Last updated 13 February 2009

For questions or comments on the website itself, email
Nebraska State Historical Society - P.O. Box 82554, 1500 R Street, Lincoln, NE 68501
Nebraska State Government Homepage
 |  Website Policies  |  © 2009 All Rights Reserved