RG3036.AM: German Theological Seminary (Crete, Neb.)
Minutes, etc.: 1878-1898
Crete, Neb.: German Congregational Seminary
Size: 1 reel of microfilm
The German Theological Seminary was created at a meeting held on June 28th, 1878, in Lincoln, Nebraska. In attendance were some of the most important German pastors who brought the German Congregational Church to Nebraska, including the Reverends William Suess, H.H. Sallenbach, C.F. Veitz, Fred Alley, and John Lange. They drew up a plan for the proposed seminary to be founded at Crete in cooperation with Doane College under the direction of a regularly elected Board of Trustees. The officers of the Board were: H.N. Gates, President; Fred Alley, Secretary; C.F. Veitz, Treasurer. Rev. J.B. Chase was the first professor. The chief purpose of the school was to train young men from German families for ministry among the German speaking population. Lack of funds and a continued small enrollment prevented the school from prospering, and in 1882 it was reduced to the status of a pre-seminary, feeding qualified students to the Chicago Theological Seminary. In 1894 the town of Wilton, Iowa, acquired the college with an offer of a good physical plant and sufficient endowment.
SCOPE AND CONTENT NOTE
This collection consists of one reel of microfilm containing the minute book of the Board of Trustees of the German Theological Seminary, and miscellaneous papers relating to the Seminary.
Reel 1Minutes, June 28, 1878-August 9, 1894
Papers, 1888-1898, undated
12-19-2006 Revised TMM
For additional information about this collection, please contact our Library Staff.