RG4202.AM: Grace Evangelical Lutheran Church (Ohiowa, Neb.)
Ohiowa, Fillmore County, Neb.: Evangelical Lutheran Church
Size: 3 volumes on 1 reel of microfilm
This congregation was organized in 1887 as St. John's German Evangelical Lutheran Church, and a building was constructed on a site approximately two and a half miles south of Ohiowa. This congregation became known as South St. John's to distinguish it from another one with a similar name in Ohiowa. The German language was used in services until 1945. In that year also the constitution was re-written in English, and the word "German" dropped from the name.
Between 1944 and 1950 this congregation shared a pastor with the other St. John's, and the two discussed merging in 1953-1954. The merger did not occur, and this church re-organized under the new name of Grace Evangelical Lutheran Church.
SCOPE AND CONTENT NOTE
This collection consists of three volumes of records of the Grace Evangelical Lutheran Church of Ohiowa, Nebraska, on one reel of microfilm. The collection includes three volumes of the records of members, baptisms, marriages, confirmations, and burials from 1888 to 1981. Much of the information in the first two volumes has been re-copied into the third one.
Fillmore County (Neb.) -- Churches
German Evangelical Lutheran Church in Nebraska
Germans in Nebraska
Grace Evangelical Lutheran Church (Ohiowa, Neb.)
Lutheran Church in Nebraska
Methodist Episcopal Church in Nebraska
Ohiowa (Neb.) -- Churches
Revised 09-27-2008 TMM
For additional information about this collection, please contact our Library Staff.