RG2658.AM: Osco Baptist Church (Upland, Neb.)
Kearney County, Neb.:
Size: 1 volume on 1 reel of microfilm
Beginning in 1879, Danish Baptists who had settled in Grant and Cosmo Townships in Southeastern Kearney County, Nebraska, held religious services in various neighborhood homes. Intermittent meetings and services were held in succeeding years. On August 12, 1882, a church was organized at the home of Rev. Carl Jensen who had come from Council Bluffs, Iowa. The official name which was adopted was the First Danish Baptist Church of Kearney County, Nebraska. Services continued to be held in various schoolhouses. In 1887, a sod parsonage was erected on a ten acre tract in Cosmo Township and a frame church, 30 x 46, followed in 1892. In 1918, the original structure was razed and a new building erected on the site.
Until 1918, the Danish language was used for all services and church functions. A new constitution was adopted in 1924 and the name of the organization was changed to Osco Baptist Church. Osco was the name of an early post office in Cosmo Township. Although the church is located in Kearney County, the mailing address is Upland, Nebraska, in Franklin County.
SCOPE AND CONTENT NOTE
This collection consists of one volume of records of the Osco Baptist Church of Kearney County, Nebraska, 1889-1916, contained on one reel of microfilm. The bulk of the records appear to be minutes which are written in the Danish language. The record is entitled, "Protokol No. 2 for den forste Dansk Baptist Menighed in Kearney Co., Nebraska, September 1889." The collection relates to church activities in this rural community.
- "Protokol No. 2," 1889-1916
Danes in Nebraska
First Danish Baptist Church (Kearney County, Neb.)
Kearney County (Neb.) -- Churches
Osco Baptist Church (Upland, Neb.)
03-20-2007 Revised TMM/tmm
For additional information about this collection, please contact our Library Staff.