RG4160.AM: Postville Welsh Church (Postville, Neb.)
Postville, Platte County, Neb.: Presbyterian church
Size: 1 reel of microfilm
The First Welsh Calvinist Methodist Church was built near Postville in Platte County, Nebraska, in 1884. Available records begin in 1902 when regular services were held through 1922. During those years the church was affiliated with the Presbyterian Synod. Beginning in the mid-1920s, services were held irregularly, though Sunday School continued to the 1960s. In 1948 the Presbyterian Synod decided to sell the church building. Because the property had never been deeded to the Presbyterian Synod, the congregation decided to withdraw from it.
SCOPE AND CONTENT NOTE
The records of the Postville Welsh Church in Postville, Nebraska, consist of one reel of microfilm containing four items dating from 1902-1982. The two volumes of record books contain similar types of information for much the same period of time, although the details contained in each are not identical. Both books are chronological accounts of events which mix lists of contributors, expenses, minutes of meetings, notices of services and ministers, and baptisms. The second volume contains more minutes of meetings than does the first. The first contains more detailed financial data than does the second. Both volumes use the Welsh language until 1920. The third item is a cemetery plat which was drawn in 1966, although some later additions seem to have been made. The last item is a typed history of the church which appears to have been compiled from these records. The collection was loaned for microfilming in November of 1983.
- Record Book, 1902-1982
- Secretary to the Trustees' Record Book, 1914-1970
- Cemetery Plat, 1966
- History of Postville Welsh Church (4 pages, typed)
Platte County (Neb.) -- Churches
Postville (Neb.) -- Churches
Postville Welsh Church (Postville, Neb.)
Presbyterian Church in Nebraska
Welsh in Nebraska
Revised 06-22-2009 TMM
For additional information about this collection, please contact our Library Staff.