Official Nebraska Government Website Nebraska State Historical Society

St. John's United Church of Christ (Syracuse, Neb.)


RG3168.AM:  St. John's United Church of Christ (Syracuse, Neb.)

Records:  1880-1969
Syracuse, Otoe County, Neb.:  United Church of Christ
Size:  1 reel of microfilm

HISTORICAL NOTE

St. John's Evangelical Church of Syracuse, Nebraska, was organized on June 20, 1880, by the Rev. Robert Ruegg and the Rev. Theodore Tanner. The congregation, consisting of 17 members, held the first services in the Methodist Church. The following year, a small church building was constructed at a cost of $885.00 and dedicated on December 11, 1881. Services were held in both German and English until 1943, when the German Language services were discontinued. In 1884 St. John's Church was admitted to the Evangelical Synod of North America.

In 1906 a new parsonage was erected, and two years later, a new Church building was constructed and dedicated at a cost of $5,500. The structure was remodeled in 1930, and physical improvements have continued until the present time. In 1947 the Church constitution was revised, and on October 16, 1955, St. John's United Church of Christ celebrated its 75th anniversary.

SCOPE AND CONTENT NOTE

This collection consists of one reel of microfilm containin two volumes of records of the St. John's United Church of Christ, Syracuse, Nebraska. These records relate to church activities dating from 1880-1969. Included are registers of pastors, members, baptisms, marriages, deaths, and officers. Also included are Church histories, and The Articles of Incorporation and constitution of the Church. The first volume of these records is in German. This collection was loaned for microfilming in March of 1969.

DESCRIPTION

Reel 1
Volume 1 (in German) includes:

Record of Pastors, 1880-1961
Record of Members, 1880-1931
Record of Baptisms, 1895-1942
Record of Confirmations, 1880-1938
Record of Marriages, 1885-1942
Record of Communicants, 1933
Record of Attendance at Communion, 1885-1938
Record of Deaths, 1885-1942
Record of Collections for Special Purposes, 1885-1917
Record of Families, 1880-
Statistical records
Church History
Financial Records, 1917-1925

Volume 2 includes:

Record of Members, 1961-1968
Record of Pastors, 1932-1961
Record of Officers and Trustees, 1941-1969
Record of Baptisms, 1943-1969
Record of Confirmation, 1943-1968
Record of Attendance at Communion, 1943-1968
Record of Marriages, 1943-1968
Record of Deaths, 1943-1969
Church History
Articles of Incorporation and Constitution

 

ADDED ENTRIES:

Evangelical Church in Nebraska
Evangelical and Reformed Churches in Nebraska
Germans in Nebraska
Otoe County (Neb.) -- Churches
St. John's Evangelical Church (Syracuse, Neb.)
St. John's United Church of Christ (Syracuse, Neb.)
Syracuse (Neb.) -- Churches
United Church of Christ in Nebraska

 

Revised 06-12-2009   TMM

 

For additional information about this collection, please contact our Library Staff.


NSHS Home  |  Search  |  Index  |  Top

http://www.nebraskahistory.org/lib-arch/research/manuscripts/church/syracuse-stjohns.htm
Last updated 12 June 2009

For questions or comments on the website itself, email nshs.web@nebraska.gov
Nebraska State Historical Society - P.O. Box 82554, 1500 R Street, Lincoln, NE 68501
Nebraska State Government Homepage
 |  Website Policies  |  © 2009 All Rights Reserved