RG0810.AM: John F. Keller, 1885-1971
Cherry County, Neb.: Homesteader, music writer
Size: 0.2 cu.ft.
John Keller was born in Cherry County, Nebraska, on the original homestead of the Keller Ranch, July 2, 1885. In 1906 Keller homesteaded land adjoining his fatherís land under the Kindaid Act. For parts of four years (1913-1916) John raised wheat in Unity, Saskatchewan, Canada, as well as operating his ranch at Cascade, Nebraska. On January 1, 1914, he married Nelda Hoefs. They had five children: George Theodore, Neal, Williard, Elsie Mae, and Shirley. Neal and Williard took over the ranch from their father when he moved to Valentine, Nebraska, in 1947. John was active in the Cherry County Historical Society and was one of the organizers of the Nebraska Stock Growers. John Keller was the oldest native of Cherry County when he died in 1971 at the age of 86.
SCOPE AND CONTENT NOTE
This collection consists of manuscript material arranged in three series: 1) Correspondence; 2) Manuscripts; 3) Music recordings.
The bulk of this collection consists of original material written by John Keller. Included a letter written by Mr. Keller to Franklin D. Roosevelt (including his response), and a history of the Sandhills. Also included are some recordings of songs by Keller.
Note: Additional information about John Keller and the Keller family can be found in:
Beel, Marianne Brinda and Harms, Ruth Johnson, editors, A Sandhill Century, Book II: The People, Cherry County Centennial Committee: 1985, pp 220-221.
Series 1 - CorrespondenceItem
Series 2 - Manuscripts
- Letter written to the editor of the Ainsworth Star-Journal, November 3, 1960
- Copy of letter written by Keller to Franklin D. Roosevelt, with the response, 1932
- Reminiscences of 75th Birthday
Series 3 - Music recordings (in audio-visual collection)
- "Song of Korea" by Keller
- "United Brotherhood" by Keller
- "Some Early Sandhills History" by Keller
- "The Cowboy's Return" by V. S. Broad and John Keller
- "One Who Cares" by Verna Broad
- "The Cowboys Return" by John Keller and Verna Broad
- "N-E-B-R-A-S-K-A" by John Keller and Verna Broad
- "Song of Korea" by John Keller
- "I Tried to Tell You" by Verna Broad
- "Valentine" By Verna Broad
Cascade (Neb.) -- History
Cherry County (Neb.) -- History
Keller, John F., 1885-1971
Nebraska -- Sandhills region -- History
Ranches and ranching -- Cherry County (Neb.)
Roosevelt, Franklin Delano 1882-1945
04-19-2007 Revised TMM/tmm
For additional information about this collection, please contact our Library Staff.