RG5099.AM: Arbor Kensington (Lincoln, Neb.)
Lincoln, Lancaster County, Neb.: Sewing club
Size: 0.5 cu.ft.; 1 box
Long since taken over by Interstate 80, the old Arbor railroad station was once the site of a small town. The post office there lasted only six years, until 1900, but from this little village grew a women's sewing club called, "The Arbor Ladies Kensington." Like many other long-standing clubs, the organization changed its name several times, starting as the "Arbor Ladies Aid Society," then changing to the "Arbor Community Circle." In 1926 the group became the "Arbor Ladies Kensington Club." Later this name was shortened to "Arbor Kensington." The main purpose of the club was to gather and work on sewing projects, but throughout the years, the ladies also held ice cream socials and family functions. As of 1983, the club had 26 members.
SCOPE AND CONTENT NOTE
This collection consists of the records of the Arbor Kensington club. The bulk of the collection consists of minutes of meetings dating from 1920-1981. Also included is a history of the club done in 1983 and one folder of miscellaneous materials.
- "Arbor Ladies Kensington History '80 Years Young' 1903-1983"
- Minutes, 1920, Apr. - 1923, Feb.
- Minutes, 1923, Apr. - 1929, May
- Minutes, 1929, June - 1936, Aug.
- Minutes, 1936 - 1939
- Minutes, 1939, Oct. - 1944, June
- Minutes, 1944, July - 1949, Feb.
- Minutes, 1952, July - 1954, Oct.
- Minutes, 1954, Nov. - 1957, Sept.
- Minutes, 1957, Oct. - 1960, June
- Minutes, 1960, July - 1963, Aug.
- Minutes, 1963, Sept. - 1969, Jan.
- Minutes, 1969-1975
- Minutes, 1975-1981
Arbor Kensington (Lincoln, Neb.)
Quilting -- Nebraska -- Lincoln
Women -- Societies and clubs
Revised 11-09-2007 TMM
For additional information about this collection, please contact our Library Staff.