Did you see a photograph you just have to have? Are you a researcher, web designer or media producer who needs a photograph for your project? Do you have a school history paper due and need the perfect photograph to illustrate your text?
We can help. In most cases, the Nebraska State Historical Society can create a digital file or print for you from our photograph collections.
Reproduction costs are listed on the Fees for Duplication & Special Access schedule (PDF). Additional use fees may apply; for more information on obtaining permission to use photographs, see our Use Policy (PDF) and Fees for the Use of Still Images (PDF).
A few things to know about requesting photos:
- Normal processing time for photo orders is TWO WEEKS.
- We do not take photograph orders by phone. However, you may mail, fax or e-mail your requests to us.
- DO NOT SEND ANY MONEY WITH YOUR ORDER! We will contact you with your total including tax and shipping charges. All these fees must be paid in advance. To view our fees, see the Fees for Duplication & Special Access schedule.
How to Request a Photograph by Email, Mail or Fax:
Follow these steps to request a photograph by fax, mail or e-mail:
1. Print out the Photograph Request Form . You can access this document with Adobe Reader, which you can download for free from Adobe's website.
The fields marked with asterisks (*) are required; orders will not be processed without this information.
2. In the first box, identify the photograph you want by filling in the photograph number, (for example, RG3542.PH:1-1) and a brief description of the photograph (for example: two girls holding snowballs). If you found the image in a book, magazine or other publication, include the citation (including page number) in your e-mail, and if possible include a photocopy/scan with the request form.
NOTE: If you do not have the photograph number, it may take longer to process your photograph request.
3. Next, tell us what kind of result you want:
- For a DIGITAL FILE, mark the type of Digital Image copy and method of delivery. For image resolution, we recommend the following choices:
- Reference copy (100dpi, 500 pixels on the long edge, jpg format): personal research, school projects, social media (requires visible watermark).
- Print copy (300dpi, 100% original, jpg or tiff format): brochures, newspaper, book or magazine.
- High resolution (minimum 800dpi, 100% original, tiff format): enlargements, exhibits and decorative displays.
- If you don't need the image from us, but want USE PERMISSION ONLY for one of our images, check the appropriate box on the form. See our Fees for the Use of Still Images for costs.
Image dimension is the height and width of the image, measured in inches. We typically provide files at dimensions that match those of the original. However, if you intend to greatly increase the size of the image in your application, you may prefer to specify an image dimension, and to increase the image resolution accordingly. These modifications may incur higher duplication fees (see our Fees for Duplication & Special Access schedule).
4. Let us know how you intend to use the image and some other information on the project. This will allow us to determine if use fees are required, and if so what they will be (see our and Fees for the Use of Still Images for costs).
5. Give us your contact information. If you represent a company or organization, be sure to indicate if it is a for-profit or not-for-profit entity.
6. Fax or mail the completed form to: (DO NOT SEND MONEY WITH YOUR REQUEST)
Nebraska State Historical Society
P.O. Box 82554
Lincoln, NE 68501-2554
7. A member of the NSHS reference staff will contact you regarding your request and final total, including tax and shipping.
Help Us Digitize the photograph collections and make them available to you on this website.