Information for Researchers
Patrons may borrow up to two reels of film for two weeks through their local library or participating LDS Family History Center. Patrons may use borrowed film only in the borrowing library. Borrowed film can be renewed for an additional week if requested before the original due date.
The following material is available:
- Newspapers microfilmed by the Nebraska State Historical Society.
- Most microfilmed manuscript collections.
- Most microfilmed books and academic monographs.
- Some mircrofilmed government records.
- Some microfilmed photo collections. For detailed information, go to
The following material is not available:
- Newspaper microfilm purchased commercially by the Historical Society. This includes, but is not limited to, the Nebraska State Journal, the Lincoln Journal, the Lincoln Star and the Omaha World-Herald**, and a few others. To ascertain if the title you are interested in is available, call the ILL representative at (402) 471-4772, or email email@example.com.
- Frequently used public records (such as census, naturalization, marriage and land tract books).
- Restricted manuscripts or public records.
- Materials not on microfilm (books, maps, periodicals, manuscripts, government records).
**NOTE: Because of a donation of duplicate microfilm, we do have the following Omaha World Herald microfilm available for interlibrary loan: Omaha World Herald Evening, 1885-1889 and Omaha World Herald Morning, 1889-1927. Please contact us as listed above for detailed information regarding the number of rolls per year, etc.
Loan fees (pdf)
- Loan fees must accompany the request
- 2 reels per patron
- 4 reels per library
- All materials are loaned for two weeks from the shipping date.
- Renewals (1 week limit) must be requested by the borrowing library and must be made before the original due date.
Information For Libraries
Borrowing Library Responsibilities
- Borrowing libraries should submit requests on ALA interlibrary loan forms or library letterhead via the U. S. Postal Service. We do not accept requests via the OCLC system, the Internet, by fax or email. Address requests to:
Nebraska State Historical Society
P.O. Box 82554
Lincoln, NE 68501
- Requests for newspapers may cover one title (or one city, if a title is not known) and a range of dates. If the dates requested are on more reels than the fee will cover, the first reel will be sent.
- A return-mailing label must be included with your order.
- Materials may be renewed for two additional weeks by telephone at (402) 471-4772, or by email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Renewals will be granted only if requested before the original due date.
- Five weeks from the shipping date.
Loan Fees (pdf)
- Payment must be included with requests!
- 2 reels per patron
- 4 reels per library
Response Time To A Request
- Under normal circumstances, ILL requests will be processed and shipped within 10 working days after receipt.
- New shipments will not be sent until all current orders are returned.
Packing And Shipping For Returns
- Pack film securely in a box to avoid damage during shipping. Do not use padded envelopes.
- Film must be returned by insured post at a value of $50 per reel.
Lost, Missing, Damaged Film
- The borrowing library is responsible for the safety of ILL items, from the time of shipment until it is safely returned to NSHS. If damage or loss occurs, the borrowing library is responsible for compensation or replacement, at the NSHS's preference.
- If a lost item is returned before the order for replacement film is made by NSHS, the replacement order will be cancelled and no charges will be assessed. However, once a replacement has been ordered the borrowing library must still pay the replacement costs, even if the lost film is subsequently found and returned. NSHS cannot provide refunds once the replacement process has begun.
- The borrowing library will be contacted approximately two weeks after the due date.
- Items not returned within two weeks after contact are declared lost, the borrowing library is assessed a replacement fee, and its borrowing privileges are suspended until the fee is received.
Requests For Photocopies
We cannot provide photocopies through the interlibrary loan program.
Copies are routinely provided through our reference service program. For this service see www.nebraskahistory.org/lib-arch/services/refrence/index.htm