SUBJECT: Historic buildings considered 9-21-07 in Omaha for listing in National Register of Historic Places
The Nebraska State Historic Preservation Board will meet at 1:00 pm at the Lake Point Center, 2401 Lake Street, in Omaha to consider a number of Nebraska buildings for nomination to the National Register of Historic Places:
- Omaha Star Building, 2216 North 24th Street. The Omaha Star building will be considered for listing for its association with the Civil Rights Movement in Omaha. The Omaha Star and Mildred Brown, newspaper editor, provided a home for the De Porres Club, an active civil rights organization in the Near Northside neighborhood. The Omaha Star also kept the community apprised of the Civil Rights Movement's successes and failures across the country and across the city. It researched the issues and presented the facts to its readers, and then urged involvement, but it also provided a voice and a face for the community in general.
- Wayne United States Post Office, Wayne. A public works project of the Depression-era Public Works Administration program.
- Loup City Township Library, Loup City. Considered eligible for education as Loup City's first permanent library. It was built under funding provided by steel magnate Andrew Carnegie.
- Albert and Lina Stenger House, 815 Lovers Lane, Columbus. This property will be considered for its architectural significance, built in 1907 by the Stengers, prominent farmers.
- John J. and Lenora Bartlett House, 1402 Ninth Avenue, Kearney. Built in 1888, the house is considered architecturally significant as an example of the Queen Anne style of architecture.
- (Former) First Commercial Bank, Odell. The former bank building was built in 1885 for one of Odell's founding businesses.
- LaVerne and Helen Stigge Farmstead, near Howells. The farmstead dates to 1940 and represents the period of post-depression and post-war agriculture.
- Peerless Motor Company, 2562/2564 Harney, Omaha. Built in 1928 as an automobile agency of the Peerless motor car. It location was an area developed as what was known as Omaha's "Automobile Row," host to automotive dealerships and associated businesses.
- Saddle Club, 2000 West Overland, Scottsbluff. This horse club is being nominated for promoting recreation, horsemanship, social, and educational activities of equestrians. It was built in 1947.
- Stabrie Grocery, 501 North 13th, Omaha. The building was constructed in 1883 and represents the evolution of grocery jobbing, distributing, and retailing.
The State Historic Preservation Board consists of professional and citizen members. It guides policy for the state preservation program, which is administered by the Nebraska State Historical Society. One role of the board is to review each property being considered for the National Register of Historic Places, the honor roll of properties which represent importance in culture and history of locales, the state, or the nation. Upon the board's approval, the nominations will go to the National Park Service for final listing.
For more information: Bob Puschendorf, Deputy State Historic Preservation Officer, 402-471-4769
For general information:
Chief Education and Research Officer
Nebraska State Historical Society
1500 R Street
PO Box 82554
Lincoln, NE 68501
The Nebraska source for the histories we share