Crawford's first high school building was erected with locally fired brick in 1890 at an approximate cost of $25,000. This bell was installed in the belfry the following year. During the structure's demolition in 1956, citizens stealthily "requisitioned" the bell, fearing its loss. Brick salvaged from the school was used by the Lions Club in constructing this monument in 1979. The bell was placed here as a symbol of the town's commitment to education.
Crawford Lions Club
Nebraska State Historical Society