Site of the first permanent Cuming County settlement by the Benjamin B. Moore family in 1857, the town of DeWitt was laid out by an Omaha townsite company in 1857. The post office was established February 3, 1858, and discontinued May 26, 1871. In a hotly contested election in 1858, DeWitt lost the county seat to West Point by a vote of 12-7. All that remains of DeWitt is this native-sod cemetery.
Cuming County Historical Society
Nebraska State Historical Society
Nebraska 275, 4 miles west, 3/4 miles north of West Point