Official Nebraska Government Website Nebraska State Historical Society

First Presbyterian Church of St. Paul

The congregation was organized in 1879, eight years after the first homestead
claim was filed in Howard County. The first church at this location, a frame structure
dedicated in 1881, was destroyed by fire in February 1905. Construction of this
building, the oldest church in town still at its original site, began in September 1905 and
was completed in July 1907 at a cost of $15,000, including the furniture and organ. The
bell now in use survived the 1905 fire.

First Presbyterian Church Congregation
Nebraska State Historical Society
816 Indian Street, St. Paul
Howard County
Marker 443

 


NSHS Home  |  Search  |  Index  |  Markers

http://www.nebraskahistory.org/publish/markers/texts/first_presbyterian_ch.htm
Last updated 12 January 2006

For questions or comments on the website itself, email nshs.web@nebraska.gov
Nebraska State Historical Society - P.O. Box 82554, 1500 R Street, Lincoln, NE 68501
Nebraska State Government Homepage
 |  Website Policies  |  © 2009 All Rights Reserved