Official Nebraska Government Website Nebraska State Historical Society

Nature's Gift: The Highway 34 Springs

Since times unrecorded, springs from the Ogallala Formation relieved travelers
through the Republican Valley. In 1930 Benkelman citizens improved a nearby spring to
benefit motorists on NE 3 (later US 34). The 1935 Republican River flood destroyed the
original spring and highway. When the highway was relocated, this rest area was
established in 1941 at the site of another spring. The highway was relocated again in
1970 and the state deeded the rest area to Dundy County. Local residents restored it in 2008.

Hansen Charitable Foundation
Nebraska State Historical Society, 2009
Old Highway 34,  1/2 mile south of U.S. 34 on Ave 339, Benkelman, NE
Dundy County
Marker 470

 


NSHS Home  |  Search  |  Index  |  Markers

http://www.nebraskahistory.org/publish/markers/texts/highway_34_springs.htm
Last updated 14 April 2010

For questions or comments on the website itself, email nshs.web@nebraska.gov
Nebraska State Historical Society - P.O. Box 82554, 1500 R Street, Lincoln, NE 68501
Nebraska State Government Homepage
 |  Website Policies  |  © 2009 All Rights Reserved