The building was erected on this site in the 1890s for August Hartman and used as a residence by various owners until 1964. Poet John G. Neihardt rented the building from 1911 through 1920 for a study. Here he wrote his lyrics, prose, and part of the epic A Cycle of the West. The Neihardt Study was restored in 1967 and entered in the National Register of Historic Places in 1970.
Nebraska State Historical Society
The John G. Neihardt Center, Bancroft