Founded by J. L Davison in 1864 near the limestone ford where the Nebraska City to Fort Kearny "Steam Wagon Road" crossed the Blue River, Milford is the oldest town in Seward County, serving as the first county seat until 1871. Milford was home to the famous Shogo mineral water springs and the Quenchaqua flour mills (1867-1934).
In 1877 several hundred Ponca Indians passed through Milford when the government forced the tribe to move from their Nebraska homeland to an Oklahoma reservation. Prairie Flower, the daughter of Ponca Chief Standing Bear, died here on June 5, and was buried in an unmarked grave.
A sanatorium built in 1889 became a state soldiers' and sailors'
home from 1895 to 1939, now the location of Southeast Community
College. The Nebraska Industrial Home for unwed mothers (1889-1953),
the famed "Shogo Island" pleasure resort, and Cavalry
Troop A of the Nebraska National Guard were all located in Milford.
The town is the birthplace of Harry Culver, founder of Culver
Milford Area Historical Society
Nebraska State Historical Society
Downtown City Park, 600 block of 2nd. St., Milford