Official Nebraska Government Website Nebraska State Historical Society

Phelps Hotel

The Phelps Hotel was built in 1885 by the Edwin A. Phelps family, who were among the first
settlers in the Big Springs area. Also known as the "House of Three Chimneys," the hotel was the
most important nineteenth-century landmark in Deuel County. It served as a house of worship
when church services were held there, and it became the center of community activities and a
haven for early landseekers, travelers, and pioneers. The hotel is listed in the National Register of
Historic Places.

Deuel County Historical Society
Nebraska State Historical Society
Nebraska 138, Big Springs
Deuel County
Marker 382

 


NSHS Home  |  Search  |  Index  |  Markers

http://www.nebraskahistory.org/publish/markers/texts/phelps_hotel.htm
Last updated 4 June 2004

For questions or comments on the website itself, email nshs.web@nebraska.gov
Nebraska State Historical Society - P.O. Box 82554, 1500 R Street, Lincoln, NE 68501
Nebraska State Government Homepage
 |  Website Policies  |  © 2009 All Rights Reserved