Official Nebraska Government Website Nebraska State Historical Society

Prisoners of War in Dundy County

In May 1944 German prisoners of war from Camp Atlanta, Nebraska, were sent
to a side camp near here to help area farmers complete the 1943 corn harvest. Seven
farmers employed forty-four Germans, who harvested some ten thousand bushels of
corn. Six tarpapered frame buildings, enclosed by a fence, housed the prisoners; a
nearby windmill served as a guard tower. The Germans returned to Camp Atlanta on
June 30, 1944, and the buildings were sold in February 1945.

Hansen Charitable Foundation
Nebraska State Historical Society
8.3 miles N of Hwy. 34/61 junction, near mile marker 13, Benkelman
Dundy County
Marker 446

 


NSHS Home  |  Search  |  Index  |  Markers

http://www.nebraskahistory.org/publish/markers/texts/prisoners_war_dundy.htm
Last updated 12 January 2006

For questions or comments on the website itself, email nshs.web@nebraska.gov
Nebraska State Historical Society - P.O. Box 82554, 1500 R Street, Lincoln, NE 68501
Nebraska State Government Homepage
 |  Website Policies  |  © 2009 All Rights Reserved