The city of Rushville began as a settlement called Rush Valley,
two miles north of its present
location, in 1884. Buffalo grass pastures west of the Sandhills provided good grazing, but were
too short for hay. The natural meadows along Rush Creek induced settlement in the area. Two
stores a mile apart were established in the valley, with the postoffice in the south store.
When the Fremont, Elkhorn, and Missouri Valley Railroad churned
westward across Sheridan
County in 1885, the tracks missed the established community. Rush Valley merchants were
among the first to purchase lots from the railroad-controlled Pioneer Townsite Company, build,
and move their goods to the new town of Rushville located on the railroad. The village of
Rushville was incorporated on October 9, 1885. The first trustees were Bruhn, Mosler,
McEachron, Enderly, and Meservey.
We are indebted to area individuals and groups for many benefits
we enjoy. It is to these former
citizens who had the vision to see beyond their now into the future that this park and its wall of
history are dedicated.
Rushville Centennial Committee
City of Rushville
Nebraska State Historical Society
Neb. 250, Rushville, Main Street Park