Official Nebraska Government Website Nebraska State Historical Society

ST. WENCESLAUS CATHOLIC CEMETERY, WARSAW

The cemetery was established in 1876, one year after the first settlers of the Czech club
"Slovania" arrived in the Warsaw vicinity. The plot was donated by Martin Slobodny. Initially,
Sunday worship was held around a large wooden cross in the cemetery. In 1877 the community
built their first church across the road, a small wooden building combining the sanctuary and the
rectory.

Inspiration to build a larger church began during the tenure of Rev. John Stephen Broz (1890-
94), who initiated many Czech customs into the community. The bell in the cemetery was
acquired during his time. Construction of a brick church began in 1895. It was built by
parishioner C. V. Svoboda and Andrew Gruber, proprietors of the St. Paul brickyard. It was
blessed on the feast of St. Wenceslaus, September 28, 1895.

St. Wenceslaus of Warsaw was the first Catholic church in Howard County. The last mass
offered was on December 21, 1949, and the church was demolished in 1964. Only the names on
the monuments remind passersby of the Czech pioneers whose struggle made a future for their
descendants.

St. Wenceslaus Cemetery Association of Warsaw
Nebraska State Historical Society
St. Wenceslaus Cemetery
1 mile south, 3/4 mile west, Jct. Nebr. 11 and 92
Howard County
Marker 402

 


NSHS Home  |  Search  |  Index  |  Markers

http://www.nebraskahistory.org/publish/markers/texts/st_wenceslaus_cemetery.htm
Last updated 9 June 2004

For questions or comments on the website itself, email nshs.web@nebraska.gov
Nebraska State Historical Society - P.O. Box 82554, 1500 R Street, Lincoln, NE 68501
Nebraska State Government Homepage
 |  Website Policies  |  © 2009 All Rights Reserved