Official Nebraska Government Website Nebraska State Historical Society

STOCKHOLM LUTHERAN CHURCH AND SWEDISH CEMETERY

Stockholm Lutheran Church and Swedish Cemetery, located one mile south and one-half mile
west of here, recall the Swedish-American heritage in Nebraska. In the early 1870s Swedish
immigrants began settling in Bryant township, Fillmore County, concentrating between the
present towns of Shickley and Ong. As the settlement grew, these pioneers considered the need
for a church, organized a congregation in 1875, and purchased six acres of land, although
meetings were held in a schoolhouse and members' homes until 1881, when the first church was
built. In 1878 five acres were deeded to the Swedish Cemetery Association to provide a burial
ground for the community.

By 1900 the old church was too small to accommodate the people who came to worship services
and social events. The present church, a thirty-six by sixty foot frame structure with Gothic
Revival detailing, was constructed in that year at a cost of $3,549. The congregation continued
to use the Swedish language occasionally for worship until 1937. Stockholm Lutheran Church
and Swedish Cemetery were entered in the National Register of Historic Places on June 30, 1995.
Stockholm Church

Swedish Cemetery Association
Shickley Community Foundation
Fillmore County Foundation
Nebraska State Historical Society
Nebr. 74, 2 miles west of Shickley
Fillmore County
Marker 399

 


NSHS Home  |  Search  |  Index  |  Markers

http://www.nebraskahistory.org/publish/markers/texts/stockholm_lutheran_church.htm
Last updated 9 June 2004

For questions or comments on the website itself, email nshs.web@nebraska.gov
Nebraska State Historical Society - P.O. Box 82554, 1500 R Street, Lincoln, NE 68501
Nebraska State Government Homepage
 |  Website Policies  |  © 2009 All Rights Reserved