Official Nebraska Government Website Nebraska State Historical Society

VALLEYVIEW

Settlement promoted by the Kinkaid Act of 1904 was directly responsible for the establishment of Valleyview, originally called Riverview. In February 1912 Walter Hesselgesser and Earl Cronk opened Valleyview Store, which included a grocery, living quarters, lunch room, lodging rooms, and gas station. A community hall was located on the second floor. A post office opened in 1914. By the 1920s the village consisted of several residences, a livery stable, a garage, a blacksmith shop, and School District 17 which was moved to Valleyview in 1916. The post office closed in 1937 and the store in 1939 due to decreasing population and better transportation and roads in the area.

On October 16, 1940, Sheriff George Brock of Taylor was murdered at Valleyview by John Birkes. He had come to serve an eviction notice to John and Willard Birkes, who had brought their nephew Richard to town to register for the draft. A chase, utilizing an airplane, resulted in the trio's eventual capture and imprisonment.

The site of Valleyview is now part of the Valley View Flat Recreation area at the Calamus Reservoir.


Loup County Historical Society
Nebraska State Historical Society
Valleyview Flat area at Calamus Reservoir State Recreation Area
Loup County
Marker 320

 


NSHS Home  |  Search  |  Index  |  Markers

http://www.nebraskahistory.org/publish/markers/texts/valleyview.htm
Last updated 4 June 2004

For questions or comments on the website itself, email nshs.web@nebraska.gov
Nebraska State Historical Society - P.O. Box 82554, 1500 R Street, Lincoln, NE 68501
Nebraska State Government Homepage
 |  Website Policies  |  © 2009 All Rights Reserved