Warnings to avoid "bloody Kansas" prompted the Steinauer
brothers, Anton, Nicholas, and
Joseph, to settle here in Pawnee County. They arrived in September 1856, only two years after
the creation of Nebraska Territory. Famine and depression had forced them to leave their native
Switzerland in 1852.
Although the brothers were among the first to claim land in
this area, other immigrants of Swiss,
German, Austrian and Bohemian descent soon settled nearby. Nebraska City became their chief
social and trading center. Indians, including the Oto, hunted and trapped in the region.
Turkey Creek and Linden were early popular designations for
the site which became Steinauer
post office in 1874. After the Chicago, Rock Island, and Pacific Railway reached Steinauer in
1887, the village grew steadily and incorporation followed in March 1893. With railroad
development, St. Joseph, Missouri became the chief urban market for the agricultural products of
Steinauer and the surrounding area.
By 1910, the village's peak population of 248 had been achieved.
Over the years, the
pronunciation of the name evolved to "Steener" though the original spelling has been retained.
Today, Steinauer is a quiet community which remains rooted in the history and traditions of its
Steinauer Historical Society
Nebraska State Historical Society
On Steinauer Spur west of jct. with Hwy. 50