Official Nebraska Government Website Nebraska State Historical Society

Nebraska History
Contents of Volume 73, 1992



thumbnail image of cover Winter 1992 Vol. 73, No. 4   $1.00
On the Cover:
Now part of Douglas County road 120 east of Elkhorn, this 4,580-foot segment was part of the original Lincoln Highway. Regraded and improved in 1920 with brick pavers covering a sand and concrete base, the road is an excellent example of a rural section of the Lincoln Highway in Nebraska which remains in good condition. It is now on the National Register of Historic Places, the nation's official list of historic and cultural resources. The Lincoln Highway was envisioned in 1913 by the Lincoln Highway Association as the transcontinental road which would link New York City with San Francisco (Courtesy of Nebraska Game and Parks Commission)

Seeking a Homestead: Through Nebraska and Wyoming in 1916
Edited by Evelyn Cunningham Young
 
Establishing Nebraska's Highway System, 1915-1934
By Mary Cochran Grimes
 
The Lincoln Highway in Nebraska: The Pioneer Trail of the Automotive Age
By Carol Ahlgren and David Anthone
 
Nebraska's Changing Auto Culture, 1900-1930



thumbnail image of cover Fall 1992 Vol. 73, No. 3   $1.00
On the Cover:
The Nebraska Territorial seal once formed part of the skylight ceiling of the House or Representatives in the U.S. Capitol. The territorial seal was one of thirty seals installed when the house chamber was completed in 1857. It was designed by German-born Johannes Adam Oertel and fabricated by J. and G. H. Gibson of Philadelphia. Eventually the ceiling contained the seals of all forty-eight states as well as the territorial seals of Nebraska and New Mexico. When the seals were replaced during capitol remodeling in 1949, Congressman Karl Stefan requested that the Nebraska seal be given to the state. It is now displayed in the Nebraska Joins the Union exhibit in the Museum of Nebraska History in Lincoln.

North of "Bleeding Kansas": The 1850s Political Crisis in Nebraska Territory
By James B. Potts
 
E. J. Hested and Nebraska's Home-Grown Variety Stores
By Patricia Gaster
 
Nebraska Nursing Education During World War II
By Michele L. Fagan
 
A Bully Show: Theodore Roosevelt's 1900 Campaign Tour Through Nebraska
By Andrea I. Paul



thumbnail image of cover Summer 1992 Vol. 73, No. 2   $1.00
On the Cover:
Arbor Lodge, Nebraska City, about 1876 (NSHS-A666-414)

The Evolution of Arbor Lodge, 1855-1904
By Gail DeBuse Potter
 
Surveying in Western Nebraska: The 1883 Journal of Harley Nettleton
Edited by Ruth Y. Wetmore
 
Nebraska's Lost Battalion
By Douglas R. Hartman
 
The White Lead Industry in Omaha, Nebraska
By Mark D. Budka



thumbnail image of cover Spring 1992 Vol. 73, No. 1   $1.00
On the Cover:
The cover painting, February on the Blue (no. 2), is by Mike Bristol. Bristol, a resident of Cordova, Seward County, Nebraska, was graduated from Exeter High School in 1984. Largely self taught, he began painting full time in the spring of 1985. Most of his works depict rural settings or small town scenes.

"They Get Milk Practically Every Day" The Genoa Indian Industrial School, 1884-1934
By Wilma A. Daddario
 
Bad Roads and Big Hearts: Nebraska and The Great Race of 1908
By Carol Ahlgren and David Anthone
 
Promoting an Ideology of Culture: The Chautauqua Literary and Scientific Circles in Nebraska, 1878-1900
By James P. Eckman
 
Gangland Crime Arrives in Lincoln: The Lincoln National Bank and Trust Company Robbery on 1930
By George Wilson
 
Nazi Influence at the Fort Robinson Prisoner of War Camp During World War II
By Thomas R. Buecker

Return to Back Issues of Nebraska History quarterly

 


NSHS Home  |  Search  |  Index  |  Top

http://www.nebraskahistory.org/publish/publicat/history/back92.htm
Last updated 31 October 2001

For questions or comments on the website itself, email nshs.web@nebraska.gov
Nebraska State Historical Society - P.O. Box 82554, 1500 R Street, Lincoln, NE 68501
Nebraska State Government Homepage
 |  Website Policies  |  © 2009 All Rights Reserved