Built in 1884, the church was originally located at Second and Walnut. In 1891 it was moved to the corner of 6th and Cedar. The church was deeded to the Willa Cather Pioneer Memorial and Education Foundation in 1971 and became the property of the Nebraska State Historical Society in 1978.
Willa Cather was brought up in the Baptist Church, but she and her parents were confirmed in Grace Church in 1922. Cather paid for the altar rail and stained glass windows. The altar rail was dedicated in memory of Willa's brother, Douglas, and Willa, herself, dedicated two of the stained glass windows - one to her mother and one to her father.
Read Historical Marker Text