Official Nebraska Government Website Nebraska State Historical Society

Fort Robinson timeline


A Fort Robinson Chronology

1868 - Treaty guarantees Sioux and other tribes food and supplies for land ceded to the U.S. Red Cloud Indian Agency established on Platte River in Wyoming, just west of the Nebraska line, to distribute goods to tribes.

1873 - Red Cloud Agency moved to new site on the White River in northwest Nebraska.

February 9, 1874 - Acting agent Frank Appleton killed by warrior at Red Cloud Agency; Lt. Levi Robinson ambushed and killed while on wood train escort from Fort Laramie by Indians from Red Cloud Agency.

March 2-7, 1874 - The 949-man Sioux Expedition leaves Fort Laramie to protect the Red Cloud Indian Agency. Tent camp established near agency, named Camp Red Cloud Agency.

March 29, 1874 - Tent camp renamed Camp Robinson after Lt. Levi Robinson, killed the previous month. Capt. Arthur MacArthur first post commander.

May 1874 - Camp Robinson moved a mile and a half west of the agency, near the confluence of Soldier Creek and White River, where the permanent post was later built.

June 1874 - New post commander Capt. William Jordan arrives and issues orders for construction of the first permanent barracks.

February 1876 - American flag raised for the first time over Camp Robinson.

July 17, 1876 - Battle of Warbonnet Creek. Troops from Fort Laramie under the command of Col. Wesley Merritt intercept and turn back Indians fleeing Red Cloud Agency to join Crazy Horse after the Little Big Horn battle.

October 23, 1876 - Gen. George Crook leads his Big Horn and Yellowstone Expedition troops into Camp Robinson and disbands the expedition.

May 6, 1877 - Famed Sioux warrior Crazy Horse surrenders his band of 889 persons at Camp Robinson.

Sept. 5, 1877 - Crazy Horse killed while trying to escape imprisonment at Camp Robinson

October 25, 1877 - Red Cloud Agency moved to new site on the Missouri River, later relocated to present site of Pine Ridge Agency in South Dakota.

October 1878 - A band of 149 Cheyennes led by Chief Dull Knife captured by troops from Camp Robinson and taken into custody at the post. The Cheyennes had escaped from Indian Territory (Oklahoma) a month earlier and were on their way to their northern homeland.

December 1878 - Camp Robinson renamed Fort Robinson.

January 9, 1879 - The epic Cheyenne Outbreak begins, when Dull Knife's people escape from barracks at fort.

January 22, 1879 - Last of escaping Cheyennes killed or captured.

1886 - Fremont, Elkhorn, and Missouri Valley Railroad reaches Fort Robinson.

1887 - Expansion at Fort Robinson, which becomes a cavalry regimental headquarters post.

November 19, 1890 - The Ninth Cavalry, under Maj. Guy V. Henry, leaves Fort Robinson for the Pine Ridge Agency in case the Sioux go to war as a result of their Ghost Dance ceremonies.

December 29, 1890 - Battle of Wounded Knee, last chapter in wars with the Sioux. Ninth Cavalry troops in the field for entire Pine Ridge Campaign.

1897 - High-wheel Columbia bicycles tested at Fort Robinson for field use. Although bicycles proved impractical, the experiment foreshadowed the coming of the mechanized army.

1906 - Tenth Cavalry from fort intercepts 300 Ute Indians fleeing their reservation and escorts them to Fort Meade, South Dakota.

1919 - Quartermaster Remount Depot established at Fort Robinson. It developed over the years into the world's largest training, care, and breeding center for army horses and mules.

1928-31 - Fourth Field Artillery stationed at fort.

1935-39 - U.S. Olympic Equestrian team trained at fort.

October 3, 1942 - War Dog Reception and Training Center established. Closed in 1946.

March 15, 1943 - German prisoner-of-war camp established. Closed in 1946.

1948 - Fort Robinson declared surplus and turned over to the U.S. Department of Agriculture.

April 29, 1949 - USDA Beef Cattle Research Station opened. Closed in 1971.

1954-64 - Soil Conservation Service Training Center (USDA) at Fort Robinson.

1955 - First parcel for Fort Robinson State Park acquired by Game and Parks Commission.

June 3, 1956 - Fort Robinson Museum opened by Nebraska State Historical Society.

1972 - James Ranch acquisition increases Fort Robinson State Park to over 22,000 acres.

more about ...
Fort Robinson Museum

 


NSHS Home  |  Search  |  Index  |  Top

http://www.nebraskahistory.org/sites/fortrob/timeline.htm
Last updated 27 July 1998 

For questions or comments on the website itself, email nshs.web@nebraska.gov
Nebraska State Historical Society - P.O. Box 82554, 1500 R Street, Lincoln, NE 68501
Nebraska State Government Homepage
 |  Website Policies  |  © 2009 All Rights Reserved